Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appeals

• 18-08-2010 3:09pm
    Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭

What is the story with appeals? How do you go about it and is there I certain date?

Probably should know this but I don't sorry. Also do you have to view your script, I think it could be a waste of time, I intend to appeal anyway.

And lastly does it cost much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

before sept 8th, no u dont have to view, 40 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

All you need to know is in the envelope you received from your principal with your results in it ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

DB10 wrote: »
    What is the story with appeals? How do you go about it and is there I certain date?

Probably should know this but I don't sorry. Also do you have to view your script, I think it could be a waste of time, I intend to appeal anyway.

And lastly does it cost much?
    You don't have to look at your script but you have to go into your school anyway to get the forms for appeal. The weekend of reviewing the scripts is usually the first weekend in September. You'll be sent out a form from school asking you which papers you want to see, then they'll give you a time slot and date, either the Saturday or Sunday. The time slot gives you loads of time, I think about 3 hours.

You'll probably go into a classroom, are given your papers and the marking schemes and you can look over them for as long as you want. When you leave you'll be given some different appeal forms. 1 is the normal one, you just write the subject, the paper and enclose €40 in a cheque etc, then send it back to school.

There is a different appeal form for a certain type of mistake that can be made on the paper, I'm not 100% sure of this as I didn't use it, maybe if you had the same answer as the marking scheme and it was marked wrong, as you have to write in the page and question number of where the error happened.

A few weeks later your school will send out the results, also you get your €40 back if the paper is upgraded. I would say look at the scripts anyway, I only looked at mine to see the percentages but ended up seeing 2 pages on my accountancy paper which had perfect answers but the examiner had completely skipped.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭CK2010

just asking for my sis as i know she was a bit let down by one mark, if you get it checked and they forgot something or whatever and the mark is actually worse do you have to keep the worse mark?
    also can you view it first to see if its worth rechecking??
    sorry if they're stupid questions! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Im 100 off what I need and want to appeal 3 subjects should I really bother as it wont improve THAT much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

CK2010 wrote: »
    just asking for my sis as i know she was a bit let down by one mark, if you get it checked and they forgot something or whatever and the mark is actually worse do you have to keep the worse mark?

Grades can go up as well as down. You can view a script for free and not appeal it. Often students think they've done better than the grade they were awarded and when they view the script they see that the grade is justified and there are no more marks to be gained.
    DGRulz wrote: »
    Im 100 off what I need and want to appeal 3 subjects should I really bother as it wont improve THAT much?

100 points? You are looking at going from C2 to A1 on average in three subjects for that to happen. It might be only worth appealing if for example you got a D1 in French and need a C3 to meet requirements for college entry and you end up repeating and want to drop the subject.

CK2010 wrote: »
    If she was given a C1 and the appeal examiner marks it as a C2, she has to stick with the C2 I'm afraid! She'd be better off to look at them first, and she can ask a teacher/grinds teacher to go in with her and have a look through them. My dad gives maths grinds and he's gone in to see student's scripts with them, and some of the time he would completely advise against getting it rechecked as they didn't deserve the grade they got and would have gone down in a recheck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

How do the appeals work with regard to college places considering the results of the appeals aren't out till October? Would you be entitled to a transfer if you had enough points after appealing?

allym wrote: »
    How do the appeals work with regard to college places considering the results of the appeals aren't out till October? Would you be entitled to a transfer if you had enough points after appealing?
    Depends on the course, there can be extra spaces left in some to accommodate those who appeal. Otherwise, you're given a place for next year.

Advertisement