Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Get rid of Landline but keep broadband?

• 18-08-2010 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Would be grateful for any advice on the attached

currently have an eircom landline and also supplied broadband by Eircom. I never use the landline, always the mobile, so want to get rid of the landline but keep broadband.

Would appreciate advice as to the broadband options that I have. Live within a few miles of Limerick City.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Not possible. You pay line rental for the line, not just the phone capability. If you want rid of the line, you need to change to wireless or cable broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Sadly no option in Ireland for 'naked dsl' yet. It would be interesting to see how many people would avail of it if it was available though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It would depend on the Line rental difference.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,558 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Currently have landline, broadband and cable TV package through NTL. You can drop the landline option if you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

dub45 wrote: »

Nearly 40% here have ditched landline. About 1/3rd of those left are paid for by Welfare, I'd guess that 1/3rd don't realise the Line Rental allowance can be applied to Mobile Phone instead.

I get 50mins + 50 text for 15 Eur billpay, and survivable bill for extra usage, so I'm saving 11 Eur a month on average by using a Mobile instead of Line Rental. (Broadband via Fixed Wireless, Solid 8M/1M Metro package). If the Government wants to make a cutback eircom line rental is vulnerable.

If people realised the Allowance can be used for Mobile, even without Government cut back you could quickly see only 50% of Homes having phone lines here.

Advertisement