Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stupid dog wont use kennel

Options
  • 18-08-2010 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭

everyday i come home rain or shine the dog has pulled out the bed i put in the kennel, never sleeps or chills out in it. even if its lashing he will sit under the bush and get soaked. he is 1 this week. i boght a bigger kennel because i thought the one i had was too small. now i have 2 kennells and he wont use either of them. by the way small brand new kennel going for free if anyone wants it.. it has a hold in the door but its not big enough to fit through. in my wisdom i punished him for eating my green house and locked him in the small kennel for an hour only to find he nearly chewed the door off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

everyday i come home rain or shine the dog has pulled out the bed i put in the kennel, never sleeps or chills out in it. even if its lashing he will sit under the bush and get soaked. he is 1 this week. i boght a bigger kennel because i thought the one i had was too small. now i have 2 kennells and he wont use either of them. by the way small brand new kennel going for free if anyone wants it.. it has a hold in the door but its not big enough to fit through. in my wisdom i punished him for eating my green house and locked him in the small kennel for an hour only to find he nearly chewed the door off.

Thats why he wont go into the kennel to him its a confined space that goes when he thinks he is being punished, try enticing him with treats , toys etc and praise him when he goes in . Stay with him when he is in there for the first couple of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

I'd love the kennel if you're sure & depending on whereabouts you are? You can PM me your area of abode - I'm based Carlow/Kilkenny but am frequently in Dublin.

Sorry - not sure what to do about your dog though. Its a common problem, I hear!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭rhonin

As mentioned above he see the kennel as a bad thing. You need to show him its not.
    BTW your dog isn't stupid!

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

ill try to convice him its a nice place and give him treats when he goes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

I pity your dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

What kind of kennel is this, what size? Is it like a dog house with no windows?
    Locking a dog in one for an hour seems really really off to me, and if you locked him in it after you came back to discover your greenhouse was damaged, he likely didn't even know why he was being punished.
    It's no wonder he won't go in it, it's a very bad place in his eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Jelly2

koneko wrote: »
    What kind of kennel is this, what size? Is it like a dog house with no windows?
    Locking a dog in one for an hour seems really really off to me, and if you locked him in it after you came back to discover your greenhouse was damaged, he likely didn't even know why he was being punished.
    It's no wonder he won't go in it, it's a very bad place in his eyes.

+1 You really shouldn't have done that! No wonder he won't go in the kennel. You probably will have to work quite hard to convince him that he should go into it now...
    Treats, and lots of patting when he goes in for you, should set the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

firstly take the door off the kennel... he is afraid he will be locked in it again... a kennel doesnt need a door at all he should be allowed to come and go , in and out of his kennel when he chooses..
    (plase dont lock him in it again its cruel- he was more than likely terrified) :eek:

Secondly.... (once the door has been removed)... put a kong inside with pate... or a lovely juicy beef bone and encourage him to go in... after a awhile he will learn that his kennel is a nice place etc... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Keep him in the house where he belongs & let him share your life. If you really think that he is stupid & all of this is his fault then maybe you could find him a caring owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Tootle

+1 for treats in the kennell.
    Just out of interest, where have you positioned the kennell? We were told by the trainer to put the kennell by the back door, because the dog will always sit where they saw you last. So if the kennell is up the garden they would sit on the concrete by the door rather than in the kennell. So ours is on the patio, right beside the door. He still pulls his bed out of it during the day but I've caught him sleeping in it a few times (He sleeps in doors at night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Few rescues might be interested in the old kennel.
    Never punish a dog for something they did when you weren't there because they won't associate the two things. A simple 'ah ah' (like u do with toddlers) when you catch a dog at something it shouldn't be at will help. But they just don't get it when you correct them for something they did 5 mins before.

The fact you locked the dog in has probably made the dog uncomforable with confined spaces as said. So make the new kennel fun.

What breed is the dog, asking because some breeds aren't fond or don't feel the need to be in a kennel because of their coat type.

Cosy vet bed, kongs etc. and sit in the kennel with the dog, don't make it a scary place.

The dog would of chewed the greenhouse out of boredom or stress so providing lots of fun things and giving the dog lots of excercise will help prevent any more chewing.

Some dogs just don't like confined spaces though, our collie hates confined spaces she did use a kennel but we got one with a large opening and no door on it and eventually we got a shed and put a large dog flap on it, but left the kennel in. Took a week or two for her to twig that she could go in and out of the shed herself and that just because the door was closed on it didn't mean she couldn't get out of it. Then we took the kennel itself out and she happily pops in and out of the shed, I know if I suddenly sealed up the dog flap she would hate it and probably chew the place to bits would never do that but she will always be nervous of confined spaces so the trick is slowly but surely and gently.

Your dog is deffo not stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

Why dont you sit in the doghouse and call him in and sit their for a while and give him a treat and a cuddle :).He must have gotten an awful fright being locked in :((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

What breed of dog is he?

It mightn't be that he's scared of the kennel. Some dogs just like sitting out in the rain and not going in their kennel and pulling the bedding out!

If he wouldn't go in the kennel before you shut him in that time, then I'd say that isn't the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭wildlifeman

i was joking when i said stupid dog..i love him to bits...He is a one year old pomeranian. I have crawled in a few times and he has come in with me and jumped all over me licking so all i need to do is remove the door and its right beside the back door because i thought that made the most sense. I will be picking him up some chew toys today.

i was joking when i said stupid dog..i love him to bits...He is a one year old pomeranian. I have crawled in a few times and he has come in with me and jumped all over me licking so all i need to do is remove the door and its right beside the back door because i thought that made the most sense. I will be picking him up some chew toys today.

Good for you! Sounds like you are moving in the right direction (along with the kennel!). Since your dog is so small, could you not leave him in the house during the day? Although maybe you have a house alarm or something so can't do that?

You had better hope that the dog isn't intelligent enough to lock you in the kennel.

I awoke today to find that one of my adorable girls had pebble dashed (imagine a run away slurry spreader) most of the kitchen including her bed. Because I did an impression of Father Jack she thought that she had done something wrong. Even worse I could not give her any breakfast. Luckily I have been forgiven.

Discodog wrote: »
    You had better hope that the dog isn't intelligent enough to lock you in the kennel.

I awoke today to find that one of my adorable girls had pebble dashed (imagine a run away slurry spreader) most of the kitchen including her bed. Because I did an impression of Father Jack she thought that she had done something wrong. Even worse I could not give her any breakfast. Luckily I have been forgiven.

Haha, you just have to love them don't you? My dog once barfed all over the sofa during the night. My partner got up in the morning, put on his clean jeans, sat down on the sofa, and leaped up twice as fast, covered in uuuuggggh! Only a few months into our relationship, so I knew he was a stayer when he didn't dump me (and my dog) there and then.:)

This could turn into "the most disgusting story thread". I personally hate cats that crap in your slippers during the night !.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

everyday i come home rain or shine the dog has pulled out the bed i put in the kennel, never sleeps or chills out in it. even if its lashing he will sit under the bush and get soaked.

My dog used to do the exact same thing - pulling the bed out of the kennel.. I used to come home from work and anything that was not tied down or out of reach would be scattered around the garden.

It was out of boredom/separation anxiety.. since we got a second dog the first one is more content. They are terrier type small dogs and both get a good 45 min walk (approx 30mins off lead).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement