Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tekken player picking up SF...

Options
  • 18-08-2010 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Two things I suppose

One, after SCIV turned out to be a complete joke, I just went and bought a copy of SSFIV. I havn't played SF since about tekken 2 or 3 (or whenever SFA3 was out) and even then I only played against CPU, no one I knew bothered with the game. The fact that I did well in the World tour mode or whatever, is about as telling of your SF abilities as doing well in Edge master mode, is for your vs abilities in Soul blade.
    Now with online business, I can play people, in Street fighter, but I'm expecting a steep recovery curve, and then steeper still to get used to other human beings who know the game inside out!

Secondly: I wonder if playing 2 vastly different games, ruins your game in either. I've sort of had a resurgent interest in Tekken again, with some great online games I've had. I'm not sure if I should just stay the course.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Well, as far as learning SF goes, you could do a lot worse than to take a look at this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055852587

Secondly, although it is indeed a whole different ball game compared to Tekken, I don't think you should have much trouble maintaining a decent level at both games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

I'd say it's probably easier to be high level at multiple games that are very distinct as opposed to very similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

I was thinking the same thing. the only thing they have in common with each other is a Vs screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

I don't imagine the differences between Tekken and Street Fighter are as confusing to your muscle memory as the differences between different versions of Street Fighter.

In HD Remix for example, throw is Hard Punch or Hard Kick plus a direction when close. Special moves are generally a joystick motion and one button; Super Moves are generally a more complicated joystick motion and one button.

In SSFIV though there aren't any one button throws. Light Punch + Light Kick throws, Medium Punch + Medium Kick does a focus attack, Hard Punch and Hard Kick taunts. Special moves are generally a joystick motion and one button; EX Specials moves are the same with two buttons, Super Moves are generally a more complicated joystick motion and one button, Ultra Moves are usually as complicated as a Super move input but use all three Punch or Kicks.
    Also double tapping on the joystick (no buttons) dashes, and tapping down then up super-jumps with some characters.

So as you can imagine, if I go from playing a LOT of SSFIV, and jump back into HD Remix, all of a sudden I'm pressing an awful lot of extra buttons out of habit that don't actually do anything.

But I could jump between any Street Fighter and any Soul Edge/Calibur game with no problems.

Edge Master Mode Rocks!

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭GorySnake

Play as many games as you want. The more the merrier. I play SSF4, ST, HDR, Blazblue and occasionally Alpha 2, 3S and Tekken. But Im only good at SF4 and SF2, I enjoy learning/playing other series.

• Advertisement

man, I'm not sure I'm in form for SF after all, I played through a game of it there, and the AI is as infuriating as ever, they seem to be equilly able to defend against the most difficult of attacks to predict, but are hopeless at preventing combos from hitting.

they also seem to have messed up Guy a bit, especially in the hit box of his super combos (well, the one remaining super combo)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

man, I'm not sure I'm in form for SF after all, I played through a game of it there, and the AI is as infuriating as ever, they seem to be equilly able to defend against the most difficult of attacks to predict, but are hopeless at preventing combos from hitting.

they also seem to have messed up Guy a bit, especially in the hit box of his super combos (well, the one remaining super combo)

Don't play against the AI.

Just play against opther people either online or much more preferably in person.

We have meetups happening all around the country every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭RedDragonJack

This is the reason why i don't play aswell, The cpu is able to predict everything but fall for one move over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Hah, that's how AI has always been, sees through all advanced tactics but will walk right into projectiles all day. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

SFIV's AI just shows off how broken Cammy is.
    Spam Lariats to beat every character in the game without trying, but Cammy can mash through them. She needs to be banned.

Shouldn't they, y' know, fix that?

the main reason I've been turned off SF was my poor thumb, I'll either have to stop playing, or get an arcade stick. the four buttons I can handle, I dont mind using sholder buttons, but the D pad is a nightmare, and the analogue stick isint much better, the game is clearly designed for proper arcade stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Shouldn't they, y' know, fix that?

the main reason I've been turned off SF was my poor thumb, I'll either have to stop playing, or get an arcade stick. the four buttons I can handle, I dont mind using sholder buttons, but the D pad is a nightmare, and the analogue stick isint much better, the game is clearly designed for proper arcade stick.

Most of the top Irish players are pad players, if you don't want to make the investment on a stick you could always try a fightpad, they're only 25 quid in HMV.
    The game has been made more lenient to allow for pad play aswell.

Try a few rounds vs the computer and just block, once your happy that you can predict and block attacks, learn to punish them. You'll see after a while the cpu is very scripted and easy to beat.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sairus wrote: »
    SFIV's AI just shows off how broken Cammy is.
    Spam Lariats to beat every character in the game without trying, but Cammy can mash through them. She needs to be banned.

Indeed, I think Cammy and all Cammy players in fact should be banned, except maybe Jim as he takes nice photos.

at the risk of drawing anger, when my brother complains of unfair characters, I tell him to use that character if they're so much better. which may be a tiny bit unfair since characters can handle differently and it can take a while to adjust, but at the same time, how long will it take? longer then the game will be in circulation? I doubt it.

as reguards the AI in street fighter, well I realize that vs games really come into their own when against other human beings, but so far I've had no one to play SF with. the online servers seemed completely empty last time I checked, and rather then play the stupid AI again, I just switched on tekken and had a few online games.

I'm not going to be buying a special arcade stick just to pummel computer opponents...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

as reguards the AI in street fighter, well I realize that vs games really come into their own when against other human beings, but so far I've had no one to play SF with. the online servers seemed completely empty last time I checked, and rather then play the stupid AI again, I just switched on tekken and had a few online games.

I'm not going to be buying a special arcade stick just to pummel computer opponents...

What console are you playing on? I've never had any problems finding games on the xbox.

You could always add some people from here or jump into our IRC if you're looking for games.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

at the risk of drawing anger, when my brother complains of unfair characters, I tell him to use that character if they're so much better. which may be a tiny bit unfair since characters can handle differently and it can take a while to adjust, but at the same time, how long will it take? longer then the game will be in circulation? I doubt it.

I was only joking about Cammy, it's a bit of an in joke as one of our best players picks Cammy.

I have no idea why you can't find people, I can find them on both systems.

Go into ranked battle and create a lobby for a ebst of 3 fight with region as any. You'll find someone quick enough, and quicker as your pp approaches average.

Advertisement