Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spanish or German ?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hey Everyone. I am returning as a mature in September studying Arts.
    I am undecided on whether to study Spanish or German ? Reasons for these options are ;

1. I want to study a language. I kept up French since school ( 2000), but you must be fluent to continue it in 3rd Level.My confidence is not high enough to study literature in French yet. I would prefer to start from scratch, and that option is availble with Spanish and German.
    2. Coming from the French backround, what do you think would be easier option?
    3. Which would be most beneficial after education for work here and abroad?

Any tips/experience is much appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

As a student of French and Spanish in University, I would say you would find Spanish easier. In comparison to French Spanish grammar and pronounciation is easier to grasp than French. In college I do find Spanish easier than French, but at the end of the day language learning is still hard work but rewarding, when you do well and progress.

With regard to literature, believe me, it is hard work to understand a foreign language novel. However within language studies you do come to a point where you have to learn to read novels by reverting to the context of the book, even though you might not understand all the vocabulary. From this you try to grasp a general sense of the novel. Remember that you do have the support of your language department (lecturers/teaching assistants) if you find that you have difficulties. I wouldn't totally rule out French over the literary modules, but check with your course over the modules you'll be studying. I think literature, in many ways, can be improved with just practise. It's also a great way to reinforce grammar, and learn to write properly in language.

With regard to the future I believe that each of the languages you have interest in can be used. Though in particular I think French and German are pretty good languages in the EU. For Spanish I'm not sure about EU, but it's the second most universally spoken language in the world (after English). For Ireland I think Spanish would be great for tourism, since a lot of Spanish like to come to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

thanks for the quick reply djcervi. You gave me food for thought there.
    I checked out the curriculum for the French studies, and was kinda blown away when I read it. A bit much for me. And to be honest, the last thing I want is to be bogged down in my First Year back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭djcervi

No worries. I will admit I felt the same way about literature when I started my degree last september. As I said I wouldn't rule out French totally as a result of that. You could even have an equally heavy workload with regard to learning a new language from scratch, as well as a literature course. I don't know which university you're considering but in mine (Trinity) the beginners have the year to reach the same standard as those who came in with LC Spanish. Then again if you love languages it's not going to be too much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭macgrub

Cheers for all the help. Looks like I am going to knock German off the list. My research suggests it's very difficult and my interest is not as high to learn that language.

Advertisement