Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How'd you fare in geog?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

If there wasnt a bell curve I'd say I would have gotten an A but I was expecting a B of some sort. Happy with the B2, could very easily have been better and could have also very easily been worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

i got a b3!=)
    quite happy about it cos i ws runnin out of time and scribbled down a lot facts for genecology!
    but i might just view it, to see could i get a b2! but havent decided yet tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭double GG

I went from a D2 in the Mocks to an A2, so yeah I'm chuffed!!

Geography really is a very hard subject with the course being so broad but I found it very interesting. My Favourite Subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭pfannkuchen

B1, expected an A... But Geog. definitely is one of the toughest subjects to get an A in, so congrats to all who did!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

B1

And i let out a 30 marker in the physical...rushed a 30 marker in the human geography... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

This might sound pompous, but I don't mean it like that. Geography was the exam I was most happy with, so I was secretly hoping for an A1, even if I didn't say it allowed. I got an A2, which I am still extremely happy with.

Everyone I talked to seem to have gotten a bit lower in Geography than they had hoped. Maybe Geoecology was marked hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

Hey I always get b1's or a2's so I was so annoyed with a b3 definitely looking at that script anyway but..........spoke to my geography teacher and they corrected the papers 6 times to bring down the grades! What a joke of a system! It says nothing about your ability or how much work you put in cause no matter what, there will always be that retarded curve! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gant0

B1...was hoping for an A as i thought i deserved it but I guess that's the bell curve for ya haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 koolkitty

I took up d subject dis year, did feck all 4 it,didnt do d pre's and crammed my ass off 4 d last month...And got a C3!! Cudnt believe it! I thought i failed like! Its all thanks to my sweet soil Q in geoecology! :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

koolkitty wrote: »
    I took up d subject dis year, did feck all 4 it,didnt do d pre's and crammed my ass off 4 d last month...And got a C3!! Cudnt believe it! I thought i failed like! Its all thanks to my sweet soil Q in geoecology! :D

Wow well done - Geography is certainly no easy feat to do in one year! It's a huge course!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 koolkitty

Aw tanx Timbuk2!!;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

niamhocxox wrote: »
    spoke to my geography teacher and they corrected the papers 6 times to bring down the grades! What a joke of a system! It says nothing about your ability or how much work you put in cause no matter what, there will always be that retarded curve! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I think the problem with Geography is that they ask the same questions, year in year out, (e.g. formation of a _____, characteristics of a biome, primary activities in _______). The formation of a physical feature has come every year, along with other questions, meaning that there is no 'catch' to the questions like there would be in other subjects. In Maths or Biology they might throw in a really nasty bit at the end of the question that many people won't know, differentiating grades by doing so. That doesn't really happen in Geography, so I don't know how they manage to change the marking scheme to reduce people's marks. Every question is basically 13/14/15 x 2 SRPs after all. If somebody has 15 SRPs how do they bring them down in a marking scheme change?

If you ask me they need to change the Geography paper. They recycle the questions way too much, and the paper is much too long. Just my 2c!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

expecting an a2 - got a ****in c1!! Getting it checked, so annoyed!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

muffinz wrote: »
    expecting an a2 - got a ****in c1!! Getting it checked, so annoyed!!!

That happened to me for Junior Cert - got an A in the mocks, expected an A in the exam but came out with a C.... I had it rechecked and there was no change... hopefully that won't be the case for you.

I got a B1 but was expecting an A..... Going to look at the paper and if it's close I'll have it checked...

That happened to me for Junior Cert - got an A in the mocks, expected an A in the exam but came out with a C.... I had it rechecked and there was no change... hopefully that won't be the case for you.

I got a B1 but was expecting an A..... Going to look at the paper and if it's close I'll have it checked...
    Ive always been really good at Geog - always do well in classes, worked my ass off doing the fieldwork booklet and even got a grind to get some help on making it perfect!
    I think i got 64% in the mocks, but i ran out of time and got barely any of my ecology Q done!
    So in the actual thing i checked the time constantly and got it done in comfortable time!
    congrats on your B1, thats brill!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭chaoticmess

muffinz wrote: »
    Ive always been really good at Geog - always do well in classes, worked my ass off doing the fieldwork booklet and even got a grind to get some help on making it perfect!
    I think i got 64% in the mocks, but i ran out of time and got barely any of my ecology Q done!
    So in the actual thing i checked the time constantly and got it done in comfortable time!
    congrats on your B1, thats brill!

Thanks. :) I am happy with a B1, it's just disappointing getting a lower grade than in your mocks haha.....
    But my mocks were marked wrong.... like.. REALLY wrong, which is why I'm going to scrutinize this paper now! haha.

The first question I did was the geoecology.... it seemed to work out well for timing that way! :)

Thanks. :) I am happy with a B1, it's just disappointing getting a lower grade than in your mocks haha.....
    But my mocks were marked wrong.... like.. REALLY wrong, which is why I'm going to scrutinize this paper now! haha.

The first question I did was the geoecology.... it seemed to work out well for timing that way! :)

The first question I did was also Geoecology - and if somebody sees a question in Geoecology they like, they should do it first. It sets you up for a good start when you have the 32 minute, 80 mark question already done with.

Well actually I did the short questions first, then Geoecology. I would recommend to do the short questions first, but don't rush them - they are easy but it's also easy to make silly mistakes. Each mistake is very costly, as one question is worth 8 marks, which is nearly 2%. There are often maps/diagrams in the short questions which can actually be useful for the long questions, such as drawing a sketch map of Ireland (they were tiny weather maps of Ireland this year, which helped us with the outline).

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Got C3 in mocks and the morning of the exam woke up at 5 and read cover to cover the Sue Honan revision book and got a B1! Happy out but wanted the A. Think it was my project!

Did the short Qs, then the Ecology Q about the climate, I knew i would end up blanking on it if i left it to the end, think i did pretty well in it anyway! Kept writing after each paragraph quickly about how it was connected to climate xD

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This might sound pompous, but I don't mean it like that. Geography was the exam I was most happy with, so I was secretly hoping for an A1, even if I didn't say it allowed. I got an A2, which I am still extremely happy with.

Everyone I talked to seem to have gotten a bit lower in Geography than they had hoped. Maybe Geoecology was marked hard?
    I am in this boat. I came out thinking I had a definate A.... got a C1.

They must've marked it very hard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Alison92

DGRulz wrote: »
    Wanted an A expected a B3 got a C2. Unsure about getting a re-check

I'm in the exact same position but im getting mine rechecked without a doubt. I worked so hard for Geography and i got a B1 in the mocks. The paper was much harder for the leaving so i atleast expected a B3=/ Got a C2 on the day so i was ragin..:confused:

Advertisement