Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Commuting route Firhouse-Ballycoolin/blanch. Any suggestions ?

• 18-08-2010 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi,
    I'm thinking of cycling to work from the Firhouse area to Ballycoolin (aquatic center would be the closest place people would know).
    I used the dto cycle planner and its throwing up a route that takes 90-100 minutes.
    Long shot, but has anyone tried this journey before? Any suggestions for the shortest or easiest route?
    Thanks
    Colm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The Liffey Valley is a pinch point there so you don't really have any direct routes.

You can go up the outer ring road to Lucan, then across Strawberry beds into Blanch.

Or you can go through Templeogue - Ballyfermot - Palmerstown and into Blanch from that side.

I would opt for the latter, how long it takes will depend on how fast you're going. I'd say about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 coba

Cheers Seamus. Yeh I don't like the sound of the strawberry beds route, big hill I think.
    Templeogue - Ballyfermot - Palmerstown and into Blanch sounds better. Palmerstown to Blanch would mean cycling on the N3 right? I'll have to check that bit out, as its a fairly hairy road, around the m50 flyover and beyond. Thanks for the tip.
    Id be doing well to do it in 1hr, and guess i'll have to trade up to a lighter/more suitable bike.( I think I'll post up my current bike for sale in the relevant forum here)
    Good forum here btw,
    Hope i can get myself revved up enough to tackle the trip to work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would probably get on the R112, up through Chapelizod, through Castleknock, past the west end of Blanch centre and over the N3.

The only hill is the short sharp one out of Chapelizod, but that's over in a few seconds.

Cheers Lumen. I'll break out google maps to look at this option too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Lumen wrote: »
    I would probably get on the R112, up through Chapelizod, through Castleknock, past the west end of Blanch centre and over the N3.

The only hill is the short sharp one out of Chapelizod, but that's over in a few seconds.

Which hill? The only one I can think of is Knockmaroon Hill, and that's a bit more than short and sharp.

I'd follow roughly the same route, but go in the Chapelizod gate of the Park after crossing the Liffey. It's a long gradual drag as far as Castleknock village, then downhill through Blanch village to Ballycoolin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Which hill? The only one I can think of is Knockmaroon Hill, and that's a bit more than short and sharp.

Ah, it's not that bad. Quick up and out of the saddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Lumen wrote: »
    Ah, it's not that bad. Quick up and out of the saddle.

It is if you're just starting, maybe enough for a beginner to throw in the towel (the OP doesn't sound that experienced).

OP, I'd suggest going through the Park first to get used to the bike, then go up Knockmaroon Hill if you want a bit more of a challenge. Going down the hill on the way to Firhouse is good fun though...

Cheers bill, lumen and seamus. I used to cycle into town and back for work 2 years ago, but, I'm rusty now and looking at longer twistier route(s) /options this time around. Pity we cant use the M50 hard shoulder!

Advertisement