Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to repeat?

• 18-08-2010 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I'm considering repeating but my family doesn't have enough money for private school so I was thinking about a repeat leaving cert programme in marian college... has anyone done this programme or a similar one? I'd really like some advice :(

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Is there none nearer to you?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

no the closest one is an hour away and I'm not sure about how good it is tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭ajjmk

Theres a better subject choice in Carrick than Mohill, but then again Mohill is a brand new school..I know a couple of people who've gone to Sligo to repeat in the Mercy, Ive heard its pwetty good but depending on what part of Leitrim you're from it could be a very long journey to make every day?

Thanks, I went to mohill originally, I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE! i'll see about the mercy, thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

Ditzie wrote: »
    Thanks, I went to mohill originally, I wouldn't recommend it to ANYONE! i'll see about the mercy, thanks! :D
    ru going to repeat all the subjects u have done for the leaving cert?

• Advertisement

ayumi wrote: »
    ru going to repeat all the subjects u have done for the leaving cert?

nope I'm not repating history or Irish, I was happy with my grades and I would have to do a totally new history project and oral, taking more of my study time, I did HL irish and spent most of my time studying it last year! I'm only going to do 6 subjects, and i'm taking up chemistry which is my reason for wanting to go to a repeat leaving cert course!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ayumi

nope I'm not repating history or Irish, I was happy with my grades and I would have to do a totally new history project and oral, taking more of my study time, I did HL irish and spent most of my time studying it last year! I'm only going to do 6 subjects, and i'm taking up chemistry which is my reason for wanting to go to a repeat leaving cert course!
    ur going to use these subjects to get the points as u cant take grades from different sittings of leaving cert

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At the end of the day, it's really all down to you. Where you go to repeat or how much you pay makes little difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HermioneHair

I repeated in Marian College this year and I would most certainly recommend it.

This time last yeaar I was in the exact same situation. I hadn't gotten the points I wanted and I didn't know what to do at all. I typed repeating the LC into Google and Marian came up. I went for interview a few days after I got my CAO offer. Unfortunately I applyed fairly late in comparison and wa sonly let in due to a cancelation and the fact that my principal was pally with the vice principal.

Now, I do want to warn you that you will be in secondary school again but it IS a linking year. It's not like being in school because, for me, I was a girl in a boys school and you didn't have to show up or wear a uniform. It was very god in that respect that you were in very, very small classes but that you were treated like an adult. For instance, there were four people in my irish class most days and twenty five in my english (but only 10-15 ever showed up!) and the same with geo and bio and so on. For classes like art and honours French you may be mixed in with the sixth years but every teacher I had was very, very accomodating and would correct anything you wanted them to.

The class was good and I did make some very, very good friends. Only negative thing I would say is that some peole will not try, they are just repeating to repeat because they failed everything last year but if you work really hard it's REALLY worth your while. I WILL warn you that it is a horrible year, in all honesty, probably one of the worst years of my life but it's worth it in the end.

Trust me, those extra 45 points have made ALL the difference to me in the world! It's a really, really hard year BUT if you put the work in from day one and study like a maniac you can get whatever you want to.

Best of luck and if you have any other queastion just ask here or email me.

All the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 HermioneHair

Also, it's much cheaper but it still costs 700 euro to do and that's not including the exam fees of about 300. Though it's almost cheaper than going to college because of registration fees of 1,500.

• Advertisement

thanks hermione hair! :D tbh the only reason i was thinking of the marian is because my old school was called the marian and it was the 24th best school in ireland at the time so i'm hoping it's a sign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clare1992

will i ...........

repeat ?
    work 4 a year ? ( and do an art portfolio )
    do a beautician course for 10 weeks ?

i got 375 and i want to do nursing or fine art whichever i got id be happy ....

I NEED HELP ! confused.gif

also where can i do an art portfolio prep course on the weekends ? ( close 2 limerick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Just a small bit of advice from a repeat student. I wouldn't advise you to rule out history just because you have to do a new project. I repeated history this year and found the project much easier to do. It's a lot more straight forward the second time when you know what to do!
    Also, I had to take on two news books for the 2010 exam, but all of yours should be the same. Same document question, same Irish book, same world books. If you were happy with the grades you got this year I assume they were decent enough, so why throw away two years of work when you could pull a decent grade up to a fantastic one?

Oh, and you could totally get started on your history project now and have a pretty decent draft ready to show a teacher by the time school starts! :D

i know but I need really high grades so would i not be better off doing 6 subjects and focus intensely on them rather then spreading myself thinner over 7?

clare1992 wrote: »

i got 375 and i want to do nursing or fine art whichever i got id be happy ....

is 375 not enough for nursing? A few people I know got less then that and are doing nursing :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

i know but I need really high grades so would i not be better off doing 6 subjects and focus intensely on them rather then spreading myself thinner over 7?

It's up to you, but if I'm honest I wouldn't have felt comfortable with six subjects in case I had a bad day or the exam just didn't work out the way I wanted or something.

Everyone is different, though and at the end of the day it's your decision!

i know what you're saying, still i dunno :confused:

has anyone gone to or does anyone know anyone who went to the repeat programme in mercy? I would like to know what the teachers are like....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 clare1992

is 375 not enough for nursing? A few people I know got less then that and are doing nursing :confused:

no all the nursing courses are gone up to 400+ which leaves me out .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 annie15

Anyone know of any good repeat programmes in Galway?
    I would prefer to go to Yeats but theres a possibility of me getting brought up 5 points in the rechecks and getting my course so I may be dropping out in October...

• Advertisement

clare1992 wrote: »
    no all the nursing courses are gone up to 400+ which leaves me out .

sorry I've since found out that it was physciatric nursing not general! You could check vacant places on the cao, once you have minimum entry requirements you're sorted! or consider england, they also have clearing places

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭GVNDNN

You say you want to take up Chemistry as an extra subject?

I really think there are easier choices than Chemistry...
    Ie Biology, Business, Economics, Ag.Science, Classics...

Leinster Senior College <----Kildare...really good grind school, i repeated and went up 150 points from last year :)

Advertisement