Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool v Trabzonspor Thursday 7:45 [Match Thread]

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Liverpool's play as predictable and cliched as a soccer commentary.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Ryan Babel looks pretty píssed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

that was difficult to watch after about 65 minutes.

Poulsen and Lucas looked utterly lethargic, and far too happy to pass it backwards every single time they got it.

but a win and a clean sheet can't be sneezed at i suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

should have scored more, but a clean sheet is very important. An early goal against them in the away leg and the pressure will be off. They didn't look upto much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

At least there was no away goal conceeded.

Who scores first in the next game will be key.

Score an away goal early and things would look pretty comfortable.

A few players got to get working on their fitness asap.

Play like that on Monday and we'll be punished

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's even more annoying because the first fitteen minutes or so after the break looked like it would produce some more goals.

Joe Cole's miss peno miss could be a big moment in the tie. In saying that though, we should be good enough to go over there and get an away goal or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,021 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

If I was a Liverpool fan the only thing that would really piss me off about that game is Joe Cole taking the penalty. Thats ok when a team is 3-0 up but not when its 1-0.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Liverpool still to go through but I'd say Roy would have liked to have left a lot of the better players at home and sent the kids to Turkey. Not really an option now unless he wants to take a risk on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pity it wasn't more, did I hear it said that there be an international break after the return leg? So play the first 11.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Ryan Babel looks pretty píssed

Is he drinking?

Probably why he was taken off.

He's in denial.

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Liverpool still to go through but I'd say Roy would have liked to have left a lot of the better players at home and sent the kids to Turkey. Not really an option now unless he wants to take a risk on it.

Only thing is the game following this in the league is West Brom at home so not the toughest fixture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

So Joe Cole then, I have a horrible feeling he's going to be our next Robbie Keane?

mike65 wrote: »
    Pity it wasn't more, did I hear it said that there be an international break after the return leg? So play the first 11.

West Brom game first then a break - All eleven get injured in that ;)

We play West Brom 3 days after 2nd leg I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

eagle eye wrote: »
    If I was a Liverpool fan the only thing that would really piss me off about that game is Joe Cole taking the penalty. Thats ok when a team is 3-0 up but not when its 1-0.

who else was there to take it?

So Joe Cole then, I have a horrible feeling he's going to be our next Robbie Keane?

After 2 games, writing him off?

Good god.

Jovanovic first choice, Aurelio second choice for th peno.

Poulsen did better in the second half I thought.

Sideshow Mark, nonsense, does your knee jerk that quickly all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭IrishIrish

.....Torres :confused:

Lucas has had a really desperate start to this season and needs to get his act together.
    I wasn't impressed at all with Poulsen, but he deserves more than 1 chance certainly.

We desperately need a midfielder who can put their foot on the ball and slow things down when needed and speed things up when needed. We are either unbelievably lethargic or unbelievably rushed at the moment.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

Cole said there in the interview that the decision was pre-determined for him to take the peno.

Cole was the pen taker tonight according to his interview just now.

IrishIrish wrote: »

Not a good penalty taker at all

IrishIrish wrote: »

Torres's record on penos is brutal.

He's just said it was planned and that the last time he took one in a competitive match, he was thirteen! At one nil up, Aurelio should have been first choice.

Lucas has had a really desperate start to this season and needs to get his act together.
    I wasn't impressed at all with Poulsen, but he deserves more than 1 chance certainly.

We desperately need a midfielder who can put their foot on the ball and slow things down when needed and speed things up when needed. We are either unbelievably lethargic or unbelievably rushed at the moment.

Yup been pretty disappointed with what I've seen so far this season of Lucas - nowhere near last season's form at all.

Also he has no excuses on the pre-season/match sharpness front.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    After 2 games, writing him off?

Good god.

I'm not really serious about it. But another couple of poor performances by Cole and you can the journalists getting their knives out. There's nothing they love more than knocking people down.

He should have done better with the peno, and he shouldn't have gone in so hard for that tackle on Sunday either.

The keeper did his bit, being a good yard off the line when Joe Cole struck the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

He's just said it was planned and that the last time he took one in a competitive match, he was thirteen! At one nil up, Aurelio should have been first choice.

TBH it should have been given to Torres.
    The keeper did his bit, being a good yard off the line when Joe Cole struck the ball.

Make that 3 yards and I'll agree with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Not for one millisecond did I think he would score. Body language all wrong. I hardly got the f**k out in what the f**k before hed missed.

I wouldnt normally be so annoyed its just that at 2-0 we could have put out a similar team as tonight. Now we have to play the big guns in an already crowded fixture list in the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Going back to Turkey with a 1-0 lead when it should have been a lot more..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Shoulda won the game by 2 or 3 goals and that's not including the peno miss. I knew he'd miss cos he looked all wrong just before taking it. Jova impressed again, he's like the left footed kuyt but looks better just because he's left footed. I thought the game itself was terrible

Jovanovic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Quotes from Cole below. Its seems odd that he was the designated penalty taker when you read the quotes. Nearly every player who takes pens misses them but they are determined to make it right with the next one. Seems like Cole doesn't want to take them anyway. Seems like he was the wrong choice whoever made the decision.
    "It wasn't unfortunate," he said. "It was a poor penalty. I haven't taken one for about 15 years and I might wait another 15 before I take the next one.
    "You move on but the main thing is that the team won. I hold my hands up for that, it wasn't good enough."

I thought he had a decent game overall last night and he got the assist for the goal.

On the peno, after the game I had a look on youtube and Torres has scored plenty of peno's for athletico, for some reason I thought he never took them but it appears its just he wont take them at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Jovanovic would have buried it; it should never have been Cole.

but then again, any professional footballer should be taking a better peno than the one Cole took last night.

so all of this is lovely with the benefit of hindsight; because at the time I had little doubt a footballer of his calibre would score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,144 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I thought he had a decent game overall last night and he got the assist for the goal.

On the peno, after the game I had a look on youtube and Torres has scored plenty of peno's for athletico, for some reason I thought he never took them but it appears its just he wont take them at Liverpool.

Oh he took them all for Atleti, he was their designated taker. And he scored plenty. Problem is, his conversion rate was only around 60%. So he missed almost as many as he scored. He's also taken 1 for liverpool, and missed. (Was a preseason game the year he joined, so wouldn't be too damning on that one!)

SlickRic wrote: »
    Jovanovic would have buried it; it should never have been Cole.

but then again, any professional footballer should be taking a better peno than the one Cole took last night.

so all of this is lovely with the benefit of hindsight; because at the time I had little doubt a footballer of his calibre would score.
    Well I'm not a Liverpool fan but when they got the penalty I immediately started wondering who would take it and Jovanovic was the first one that came to mind and then Torres and when it was clear Cole was taking it I immediately thought 'wtf is he taking if for?'.

As I said earlier, I know he wants a goal and it might be a case that Hodgson said that if they are ahead that he takes it to get him off the mark but I doubt he meant if they were 1-0 ahead.

Advertisement