Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Considering buying a Doppelganger folding bike - any advice?

• 18-08-2010 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

New to the boards - any advice appreciated.

Currently living in Japan but coming back to Ireland in the next few weeks. I'll be carless so want a bike, preferably folding.

Brompton is out of my price range, but there's a pretty popular Japanese brand of folding bike - Doppelganger.

I can't find any reviews in English, does anyone know anyone who has one? I'm thinking about the 206streak model. 12.3kg, folded size 800×640×360mm.
    Is this too big/heavy to carry on the Dart (in a bag)?

Here's a link to the page. http://www.doppelganger-sports.jp/bike/product2/206/1_1.htm

It's in Japanese, but you can see a picture.

I know this is a long shot, but if anyone notices any obvious problems with the bike I'd be really grateful for a heads up.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

Hard to tell much just from the pics, but they look like variations on the Dahon brand, which is the biggest manufacturer of folders. The main visible difference is the frame- the top tube (or is it the downtube...?) has hollowed sections where the Dahon is solid. The geometry looks pretty much identical. The parts spec is a mystery to me.

Pretty sure I've never seen one over here, and they look like the kind of bike it'd be hard to miss! :)

Dahons don't fold as small as Bromptons (I don't think anything does [except the Mobiky and others with tiny wheels, but they're really in a different category]), but they should be fine on the DART.

Here's a little video showing a Dahon in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrCBter8nUo

If you're in any doubt, it might be worth considering waiting until you get home to purchase. For starters, you'd have an LBS to deal with instead of a shop on the other side of the world; second, you might get a good lightly used folder on adverts.ie or similar sites.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The negative that stands out for me is that it seems to fold in the middle. Most good folders now fold in three, rather than two, to form a more compact package.

It looks like the old-fashioned pre-Brompton folders, which had a bad reputation for spongey riding and poor compactness.

Actually, looking at that Dahon clip, it looks as if Dahons fold in the middle as well. My mistake. Dahons have a good reputation, so ignore what I just said.

What is your price range? Maybe you could get a very basic Brompton? 3-speed and no rear rack. I think they're about €800 here.

Somebody here got a Dahon for about €400 (I think) and were very happy with it.

EDIT: Here's the thread that discusses the Dahon for about €400.

Speaking of folding bikes, I quite like this photograph:

500x_brompton_folding_bikes.jpg

http://bikesthatfold.com/content/view/56/

You can get forty-two Bromptons into a standard parking space. That's about €35k of bike.

Advertisement