Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else fail maths?

• 18-08-2010 4:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Well, as posted in another thread, I got an E in ordinary level maths and am absolutely devastated. It was my weakest subject and I worked so hard all year to scrape a pass in it, but it wasn't to be. What makes things worse is that I happened to do well in all the subjects that I don't really need. So from next year, unless I get into Arts in UCD, it looks like a PLC course for me.

Anyone else in the same boat here, or am I on my own here in failing a subject that so many people manage to pass?:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I did not get my results this year, but I've a friend who also failed maths. He'll be repeating though.

If you did well in all your other subjects, and made the points requirement, you could look into repeating just maths next year to try and get the pass in it and get your course. Repeating only maths would mean you could put all your efforts into just one subject to try and pass it. If you're interested, talk to your guidance counsellor about it, and make sure you can do this. :)

I'm only making you aware of that other option! Whatever your decision, it's up to you. :) You are not the only person who were disappointed with their maths result this morning, believe me.

Best of luck! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭neiler987

well 4000 out 58000 failed it so ur not the only one... have sympathy for u i
    failed it in de mocks bu worked hard at it nd got a C3 .. could repeating or taking maths as an external subject be an option for u ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Don't get youself too down. There are plenty of options out there. I failed maths when i did the leaving 10 years ago. I went and did a 2 year PLC and repeated maths as a single subject. Studied myself and with grinds throughout the year and sat the test in my PLC. They had no problem letting me sit it there. If you decide to go onto third level after a year or two in a PLC you will be older and more able to handle it. At least thats my experience.

It's not the end of the world. Although I know it feels like it. It'll either make you or break you. I'm not saying this will happen for everyone but out of all my friends who did great in the leaving, I've done the best career/successful wise and couldn't be happier with my lot.

Look at your options, don't procrastinate and see whats the best choice for you to move forward. Go out tonight, have a bit of fun and try to get a clear picture of what you can do tomorrow. Remember, just keep moving forward.

Hope this helps,

-Funk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Well, hopefully you'll get that Arts place and it won't arise.

Are you above last year's cut-off?

Best of luck on Monday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

jumpguy wrote: »
    If you did well in all your other subjects, and made the points requirement, you could look into repeating just maths next year to try and get the pass in it and get your course. Repeating only maths would mean you could put all your efforts into just one subject to try and pass it. If you're interested, talk to your guidance counsellor about it, and make sure you can do this.

Yeah, that's what I'll most likely be doing. I have my place in a PLC course out in Dun Laoghaire.
    Are you above last year's cut-off?

Yes I am.

Thanks for the words of support, people. As much as I'd loved to have passed maths, the PLC might count as a blessing in disguise for me, you never know. The only problem is my year were generally high achievers and I'm having to listen to an awful lot of cheerful people right now.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

I heard 40% failed so they really had to fix the bell curve....Honestly I dont know how I passed :eek: because I thought I did really bad and even said it to my teacher when leaving the school.

Get them re-checked lasds cause if I passed it ye definatly should have aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

I've a question. Son got the results today, however he failed his maths. Got 5 honours and a D. What's the story with this - does that mean that he actually failed his LC or can anyone tell me the criteria for passing the exam please.

Thanks
    LB6

You don't fail the LC anymore. If he has a course on his CAO that passing maths isn't a requirement, he'll still get offered that if he still gets the points.

As for his options, apart from repeat next year, I know some colleges offer a supplementary maths exam before the course begins (NUIM in particular comes to mind).

A D isn't a fail though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 EverythingBlue

These are sad days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Thanks Dónal - that's a relief - he's been panicking all day. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

Well, as posted in another thread, I got an E in ordinary level maths and am absolutely devastated. It was my weakest subject and I worked so hard all year to scrape a pass in it, but it wasn't to be. What makes things worse is that I happened to do well in all the subjects that I don't really need. So from next year, unless I get into Arts in UCD, it looks like a PLC course for me.

Anyone else in the same boat here, or am I on my own here in failing a subject that so many people manage to pass?:(

yea , my brother failed it in 1979 , he lives in san franciscio and paid $567000 dollars in tax last year . so get on with your life !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

danbohan wrote: »
    he... paid $567000 dollars in tax last year .

Mathematics definitely a weak point then..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Niche market

Im the exact same, i put TWICE the amount of time and effort into maths than i did any other subject but still got an E... swear to god i actually cried when i saw my maths result! :(:( I AM DEFINITELY APPEALING MINE!!!! I got B's and C's in my other subjects which means i got enough points for my course... but wont get offered it due to maths...uuuggghhh!!!!!!! having an FML moment! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭PurvesGrundy

Well, my college obviously took pity on me (due to me being under the dare scheme) as they gave me a place in the course I put down (Business Entrepreneur - IADT). This was most likely due to the fact that I well exceeded the minimum points needed so they're willing to let me into their level 8 course without maths. I'm pretty happy I must say.

There is a chance however that I might give maths another go next year and get a few grinds.

Advertisement