Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cummins - split from other thread

• 18-08-2010 4:09pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Owenc, I went to the library today and found george cummin who married elizabeth in april 1707, how would i go about connecting him too me or finding something else out about him?

Split from unrelated thread.

Owen

It depends on how far your own tree is back. When I find names that might be related that far back, I just make a note of them and keep working on my definite stuff. It's a shot in the dark trying to connect people unless you have lots of related factors already (i.e. same townland, profession, use of the same christian names, etc)

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Split from unrelated thread.

Owen

It depends on how far your own tree is back. When I find names that might be related that far back, I just make a note of them and keep working on my definite stuff. It's a shot in the dark trying to connect people unless you have lots of related factors already (i.e. same townland, profession, use of the same christian names, etc)

PP

Well i thought they have to be related to us because it is near enough the same spelling and they where the same area, we are the only ones here, is there any way at all to connect us to them? As that would be great for me to get that far back fully!:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The only way to connect them is the hard way - either you work back all your Cummins until you find the same names, addresses, etc or you work forward their children until you hit what you know already. At this date, I wouldn't be concerned about alternate spellings, people were often illiterate and could have used multiple spellings. Since they're in the same area, you can say at this point there's a possible/probable connection but I wouldn't be happy incorporating them until you'd done the hard work.

Genealogy Forum Mod

The only way to connect them is the hard way - either you work back all your Cummins until you find the same names, addresses, etc or you work forward their children until you hit what you know already. At this date, I wouldn't be concerned about alternate spellings, people were often illiterate and could have used multiple spellings. Since they're in the same area, you can say at this point there's a possible/probable connection but I wouldn't be happy incorporating them until you'd done the hard work.

ok i'd say working forward is the best option do you know where to look or what? Sorry i have no clue at 1700.. i'd imagine they are very slim.:mad:

Owen,

Like I said, just make a note of them and keep working on your own guys. Don't (potentially) waste your time working forward families of people who may be related.

PP

Genealogy Forum Mod

Owen,

Like I said, just make a note of them and keep working on your own guys. Don't (potentially) waste your time working forward families of people who may be related.

PP

No i've gotten as far back as i can, i got to 1810 with james cummins and i can't get any further, i'm trying to connect him to these 1707 ones and theres only a period of 100 years between them but theres no baptisims so i have no way of connecting him through that have you any idea of what i could do to get further back to them?

• Advertisement

Well, if there's no baptisms in the intervening 100 years, I would say you've hit a brick wall. Read the stickies again for further ideas - directories, etc. If there's nothing much in between, then you have to admit defeat and just say, they might be ancestors but I can't prove it. Getting any family back to 1810 is already very good going.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Well, if there's no baptisms in the intervening 100 years, I would say you've hit a brick wall. Read the stickies again for further ideas - directories, etc. If there's nothing much in between, then you have to admit defeat and just say, they might be ancestors but I can't prove it. Getting any family back to 1810 is already very good going.

I'll have to try something, theres bound to be something to get me back, i am a bit raging that those 100 years in between have no baptisims but they have marriages, quite odd, i'm almost certain they would've had children... i wonder why they have no baptisim reocords. I'm certain i'm related but i need to prove, it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Apologies if you've done this already or if it seems over simplistic. Are you aware of anyone else investigating the same lineage? Try looking along your recent family tree and contact some people. Who knows, someone else may be digging around and may have got further.

fontanalis wrote: »
    Apologies if you've done this already or if it seems over simplistic. Are you aware of anyone else investigating the same lineage? Try looking along your recent family tree and contact some people. Who knows, someone else may be digging around and may have got further.

Naw theres another boy in america doing it but he hasn't got further than us sadly.:(

Advertisement