Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oz Visa's

Options
  • 18-08-2010 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Myself & my Hubbie are thinking of moving to Oz for a few years,
    he has family out there, the more i look at the skills list & different types of visas the more confused i get.. we have been working in the same job for over 10 but wouldnt excatly have college qualifications that we could use againist a trade or skill !!.. but the skills list i looked at today stated that they were looking for a position that my hubbie could fill but then when i go to calulate up the points & you click on the skill on the list its not on the list...

Hubbies brother did say that he could get a friend in Oz to sponsor him and as his brother has his own business, my hubbie could work with him... but is it this easy, or does my hubbie have to have a trade from the list to be sponsered over??

any help with be appericated:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi what is your respective trades? Dont worry when the rest of the lads wake up. We will get you pointed in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Mrs B

Hi Zambia232, Our respective trades would be sales and marketing for my Hubbie and office manager for myself, neither of is would have college qualifications but myself and Hubbie have been doing our job over 15 years my Hubbie is at the age limit to get work visa next year so we really wanted to way up pros and cons of moving over, on one skills list they are looking for sales and marketing manager and office clerk but as I said when I go to add my points the option of our skills don't show up !! Could my brother on laws friend sponsor my one of us over, if our trade is not on skills list? Really haven't. Clue where to start!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

<snip>

One option would be for you or your husband to go out there on a holiday visa first and see if you can get a job and then apply for a working visa through that company. You can get a holiday visa for at least 3 months, it might even be 6, not 100% on that. You're not allowed to work with a holiday visa but if you're confident of finding a job out there you could see about securing one while you're out there, then apply straight away for the working visa. I think there's a slight snag in that you need to be outside Australia when you apply for the working visa so that could be tricky.

This might seem silly queation but Can u get a working visa when u have kids ? Our two little ones would be comming too I told their was a age limit on the working visas ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Manic Preacher

Yes you can, that shouldn't be any problem. The main thing is to get a company to sponsor you or your husband, that's the easiest way to get in there for a few years.

If you can prove your worth to a company and they want you to work for them then you're sorted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Your only option is the 457 because you might not require a skills assessment* but if the friend of your brother-in-law sponsors him your hubbie has to work for that friend and not his brother, Also it has to be very similar work to what your hubbie was experienced in back home if your hubbie did Sales & Marketing Manager then the friend would be employing him as a Sales & Marketing Manager and not a plumber.

As an employee, you must meet all the following requirements:

be sponsored by an employer to fill a nominated position
    have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position
    demonstrated English language proficiency
    be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position
    See: Nomination Eligibility
    you can apply for this visa while you are in Australia, only if the last visa you held is not a Transit visa (Subclass 771) or a Special Purpose visa.

You can go de-facto with him on that visa and bring the kids but its only a Temporary visa and that means the Aus government wont give you any support, you will have to pay medical insurance and school fees out of your own pocket.

Also you mentioned something about age limit, what age are you? and what age are the kids?

* Be aware that there is an election this Saturday and depending on who gets into Power the rules for skills assessments might change.

You can find the 457 Occupations list attached , Sales & Marketing Manager 131112 is listed on page 2 so your Brother-in-law's friend would be Nominating for a Sale & Marketing Manager.

Good Luck

Yes you can, that shouldn't be any problem. The main thing is to get a company to sponsor you or your husband, that's the easiest way to get in there for a few years.

If you can prove your worth to a company and they want you to work for them then you're sorted

Thats not true.

The employer can sponsor an overseas applicant if they cannot find a suitable qualified and experienced candidate from the Local work force, the sponsoring company has to prove that they interviewed local applicants and also provide training schedules for current employees who might be suitable for those position. There is a bit more to the whole thing than just filling in a few more forms and its a lot more complicated than it was a few years ago.

Its nothing to with worth... its designed to fill skills shortages.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

mandrake04 wrote: »

If you are going to submit written forms then I would suggest having someone proof read them before sending. Your posts here, while they can be understood, are lacking in some basic punctuation.

I am not sayin this to have a go at you but rather as a warning.

CabanSail wrote: »
    If you are going to submit written forms then I would suggest having someone proof read them before sending. Your posts here, while they can be understood, are lacking in some basic punctuation.

I copied and pasted directly from DIACs web site, I wouldn't change it as it might affect the integrity of the information.

See for yourself.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skilled-workers/sbs/eligibility-employee.htm

btw this forum cant handle the bullet points, I copied and pasted and they didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭NBTD

Its a moot point because being from Ireland, you don't have to demonstrate proficiency, English being the first language and all....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

NBTD wrote: »
    Its a moot point because being from Ireland, you don't have to demonstrate proficiency, English being the first language and all....

not sure about that. I was under the impression nurses and accountants and possibly teachers irrespective of their nationality now had to take the IELTS (possibly more professions - I am a little out of the loop on immi rules these days).

re: the op's skills. Might be worth checking on britishexpats aus immi forum as I seem to remember that any admin/marketing apps were very difficult offshore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

NBTD wrote: »
    Incorrect, there's an exam. Also, being from Ireland certainly doesn't guarantee proficiency in the English language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 animalhuger

Dont go there they hate Irish people go to Canada or Germany

Thats correct. Some occupations require IELTS to successfully sponsor.

To be sponsored as a Nurse you have to meet Registration obligations, no registration no sponsorship.

To obtain registration all overseas Nurses have to obtain IELTS 7.0.

http://www.healthstaffrecruitment.com.au/Frequently-Asked-Questions-Nurses.php#quest28

Also for General skilled migration Irish/British/Canadian/USA passport only gets you stock standard 15 Points, if you are short of points you can do IELTS and get 25 Points.

Your only option is the 457 because you might not require a skills assessment* but if the friend of your brother-in-law sponsors him your hubbie has to work for that friend and not his brother, Also it has to be very similar work to what your hubbie was experienced in back home if your hubbie did Sales & Marketing Manager then the friend would be employing him as a Sales & Marketing Manager and not a plumber.

have skills, qualifications, experience and an employment background which match those required for the position
    be eligible for any relevant licences or registration required for the nominated position
    you can apply for this visa while you are in Australia, only if the last visa you held is not a Transit visa (Subclass 771) or a Special Purpose visa.

You can go de-facto with him on that visa and bring the kids but its only a Temporary visa and that means the Aus government wont give you any support, you will have to pay medical insurance and school fees out of your own pocket.

Also you mentioned something about age limit, what age are you? and what age are the kids?

* Be aware that there is an election this Saturday and depending on who gets into Power the rules for skills assessments might change.

You can find the 457 Occupations list attached , Sales & Marketing Manager 131112 is listed on page 2 so your Brother-in-law's friend would be Nominating for a Sale & Marketing Manager.

Good Luck

I am 32, kids are 5 & 2 hubbie will be hitting the age limit of 45 to recieve some visas next year... but i also read that if someone sponors you over there is no age limit?

Good Luck

thanks for the attachment mandrake04.. ye i see that Sales & Marketing Manager is listed.. my brother in laws friend could nominate my hubbie, or could my Brother in law sponser him over, as he has just set up his own business !!! would he get more points if a relative sponsored him ?
    can you tell me whats the difference in the level 1 & the level 2 on the skills list?

Yes their is an exam we have to sit

Mrs B I think you should consult a Migration agent, from what you mentioned about your brother- in-law recently starting a business and the possibility of getting sponsored by him or his friend you would require professional help. The whole thing sounds like it could be a bit messy if you ask me.

There is one thing I have learnt from being sponsored twice and that is not to make assumptions that all this is a walk in the park, this is a life changing process... if you mess it up it will either send you broke or break your heart.

CabanSail wrote: »

Sorry I thought you were having a go at my punctuation because you quoted my post, I did not realise that you were actually posting in reply to Mrs B original post and the importance of making sure that any DIAC forms are completed correctly.

Sorry about the confusion CabanSail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Dont go there they hate Irish people go to Canada or Germany
    I'd hate most of the type that seem to come out here too. Those type should indeed bugger off elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement