Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€750 Gaming Build

Options
  • 18-08-2010 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Hi yall'

Im ordering a i5 gaming pc next week and iv been out of the hardware loop for a while so I would like your opinions on the following. I was going to order with overclockers but I just saw Solitaire's link to "hardwareversand.de" and it looks like a good alternative.

My budget is about €700 and i dont need a monitor or OS or KB or mouse.

Im looking for a decent gfx card becasue I have a 24" dell and need to play everythig at 1920x1200. Not gonna bother overclocking either.

Anyway id really appreciate if let me know what you think of the following:

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Asus P7P55D-E LX Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
    OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 (1333MHz) Low-Voltage
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
    Black Coolermaster Elite 335 Case - Black
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler

About €750 shipped

Cheers,
    CC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Deano12345

CombatCow wrote: »
    Hi yall'

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz (Lynnfield) (Socket LGA1156) - Retail
    EVGA GeForce GTX 460 768MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    Asus P7P55D-E LX Intel P55 (Socket 1156) DDR3 Motherboard
    OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 (1333MHz) Low-Voltage
    OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w Silent SLI Certified Modular Power Supply
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 32MB Cache
    Black Coolermaster Elite 335 Case - Black
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2 CPU Cooler

About €750 shipped

Cheers,
    CC

Looks good :D, I'm not a fan of OCZ's PSU's though, how much does that cost and I'm sure we can find you a more suitable replacment. Also, the Freezer 7 will struggle with the quad cores (its best for dual cores really). The Coolermaster Hyper 212+ is one of the best coolers on the market as is cheaper than the AC7 last time I checked !

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Sorry, €750 is a bit too much for the Budget Build thread! :o

Meh. I thought I'd be able to make it better and cheaper, but in the end I cost about a fiver more shipped. At least mine is still better though ;)

HWVS180810.png

CPU - Faster than yours! This costs about €1 more than the i5-750 on HWVS right now!
    Cooler - Same! Good for stock speed or light OCing (not so much for overvolting) :) If you want to OC more aggressively upgrade to the CM Hyper 212 Plus for about a fiver ;)
    Mobo - Probably a little better, I've had good luck with MSI products and Asus' cheaper LGA1156 mobos are not much loved :o
    RAM - Miles better! 1600MHz at CL8! :D Oh, and that kit is currently €40 more (€128!) on MemoryC...
    Graphics - PoV instead of EVGA, but pretty much the same thing.
    HDD - Same!
    DVD - It has one!
    PSU - Miles better. Stable with lots of headroom!
    Case - Better. More and more modern cooling. I included a couple of exta 120mm fans so you can take advantage of said ;) The NZXT Gamma is also good; for €3-4 more you get better cable management and 140mm fan mounts thrown in.

Deano - €22 !< €16 :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Interesting! I'll pour over your suggestions tonight, thanks a lot for the info and taking the time to check it out :)

btw whats the standard shipping time from hardwareversand.de

CC

Still €30 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Was a while ago but I think it took me 3 days for the transfer to clear and ship and another couple of days to deliver.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chuck Finlay

Curse you, Solitaire!
    I was desperately trying to find something better for the money, I don't like HWV's price for the GTX460. There is slightly better value available at my favourite shop (mindfactory), but they deliver for 30eur per package to Ireland, so that's money down the drain again.
    So, curse you for this excellent build! :) I would still take the Scythe Mugen II Rev B tho :p

OT: Do you have any experience with the EarthWatts? I heard good things about Antec's TruePower New series since they are made by Seasonic, but nothing on the EarthWatts.

€175 isn't the cheapest I've seen, but its certainly not far off :p

And as for the Earthwatts? Here's all you need ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

The earthwatts is made by delta, but one of delta's better PSUs. The truepower new is great, but the 650W earthwatts about the best value you can get at that price point.

Always funny looking at a boring OEM-looking PSU that can give the Corsair TX650 a run for its money while costing little more than a Corsair VX450! :D:P

Have selected a different psu as I forgot to mention I want a modular one, I think the coolermaster one will be good... Gonna stick with the asus mobo cause im not a huge fan of MSI :confused:

I love the case btw so thanks for the suggestion....

124660.jpg

• Advertisement

Tip on the GPU: The Point of View is cheaper and in stock ;)

CombatCow wrote: »
    I think the coolermaster one will be good...

Its a weird unit, seems to preform excellently other than poor voltage regulation, which is a little worrying.

Non modular isnt the end of the world, check my guide in tweaking and modding on how to cable manage :)

Edit : Or not, boards wont let me edit the post to include the non modular section. I'll link you to the thread on overclock.net (where the original thread is) if you want it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭massy086

listen to solitaire them asus boards are MUCK MUCK i had two blow on me of the board you picked im with msi now could not be happy,r or even look at gigabite

:eek: i'll have a look at the gigabite so..... Jeez Asus must of really taken a hit in quality in the recent years.

Dam I really like this board " http://www4.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=31554&agid=1305 "

But they dont have the REV. 2.0 in stock :(

Ouch two dead Asuses! That's terrible luck. I usually end up going with asus myself because they often have what I'm looking for without competition undercutting enough to make me consider them. I don't think I've ever had a board die on me, but I usually invest a higher proportion in it that most people.

The coolermaster is one of coolermasters better PSUs, others maybe to consider that I see around that range would be Antec True Power New 550W or the XFX 650W. Both are modular (or at least semi-modular). The TPN would be the best of those, although more expensive.

Here's Deano's cable management thread: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055732488

That's a good guide alright. I'd +1 rep you if I could remember login details from my most likely multiple accounts there. IDE cables are troublesome to sort. SATA cables are one of the best leaps forward in computing history!

Monotype wrote: »
    That's a good guide alright. I'd +1 rep you if I could remember login details from my most likely multiple accounts there. IDE cables are troublesome to sort. SATA cables are one of the best leaps forward in computing history!

IDE aint too bad, you can hide a multitude of sins behind them :o But yeah, SATA cables are excellent for decluttering the inside of a PC

Nice thx, i'll only have one sata cable in the pc, so wont take me long to hide it :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hornd

Yeah thats looks like the one im gonna go with, but they dont have the rev. 2 version.....

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5, 1GB DDR5, PCI-Express

Cooler Master Silent Pro Series - 600 Watt

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express

Intel Core i5-760 Box 8192Kb, LGA1156

NZXT Gamma Mid-Tower Case - Black

OCZ Reaper Low-Latency 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 12800C6 (1600MHz) Dual-Channel

Have to order the case and ram from OCUK as hardwareversand.de didnt have the gSkill ram or case..*** actually their in stock now, anyone know how i can cancell my current order ?

I think you have to email them or use their online form to cancel, unless they've added an option since I last used them.

Cheers, with the help of google translate I found their email address. Their "english" language site is a bit err lackin.. in actual english. :pac:

Oh, I thought you meant overclockers. I remember reading that hwv could take at least day to get back to you about a cancelled order.

Ah no probs,i cancelled it and re-orderd. Here's my final order:

4GB-Kit GEIL Value PC3-12800 DDR3-1600 CL8
    Price: 95,33 €

ASUS ENGTX460 DirectCU/2DI/1GD5, 1GB DDR5, PCI-Express
    Price: 220,23 €

Cooler Master Silent Pro Series - 600 Watt
    Price: 78,37 €

Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3, Intel P55, ATX, DDR3, PCI-Express
    Price: 105,52 €

Intel Core i5-760 Box 8192Kb, LGA1156
    Price: 180,66 €

NZXT Gamma Tower pure black, ohne Netzteil
    Price: 38,63 €

Subtotal: 721,68 €
    Shipping costs by DHL-Normalversand + 30,00 €

Total: 751,68 €

Items are ready for shipping *SQUEE* :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Silver09

hi, sorry for hijacking this thread but what are hardwareversand.de like to shop with?? are delivery times reasonable etc.??
    cheers.

• Advertisement

Yeah they seem great so far, im tracking my package that was dispatched yesterday, I doubt i'll get it tomorrow but fingers crossed. The longest part of the process is setting up the bank transfer to "wire" them the money, but iv a feeling that it would be quicker with AIB than bank of ireland.

I saved over €120 ordering from them compared to a uk online retailer.

CC

Advertisement