Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tyres/Tubes Question

• 18-08-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭

Quick question that maybe someone can help me with. I got new tryes for my bike and am having issues with fitting them and the tubes on. I've a Giant Defy 4 Bike '10 (58.5) - full details here, and the original tyres were Kenda Kriterium, 700x25mm. The new tyres are Schwalbe Blizzard Sport Tyres, 700x 23c. I also got new tubes, size 700x19/23 C Presta.

All this should fit, right? Or have I messed up somewhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Sounds right to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Yeah, they should fit fine. In fact there's a good chance that the old tubes you would have had in the 25mm tyres would have fit too. What sort of issues are you having with fitting them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

cython wrote: »
    Yeah, they should fit fine. In fact there's a good chance that the old tubes you would have had in the 25mm tyres would have fit too. What sort of issues are you having with fitting them?

Well the tube seemed slightly long for the wheel when I put it on first, had an over hang of a couple of centimetres. I put the tyre on over this, but it keeps pinching the tube on either side, i.e. there's little bits of tube sticking out the whole way round that only show up when I pump a bit of air into it. I'm probably just making a complete mess of things, bear in mind I'm a total newb when it comes to this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭cython

Wreck wrote: »
    Well the tube seemed slightly long for the wheel when I put it on first, had an over hang of a couple of centimetres. I put the tyre on over this, but it keeps pinching the tube on either side, i.e. there's little bits of tube sticking out the whole way round that only show up when I pump a bit of air into it. I'm probably just making a complete mess of things, bear in mind I'm a total newb when it comes to this!

So, let me get this straight - are you putting the tube onto the wheel, and then trying to put the tyre on over this? If so (and from you saying that the tube is being pinched on either side it seems like you are), it sounds like you're making life difficult on yourself. In my (admittedly limited) experience, and from what I've seen in guides, your best bet is to put one side of the tyre bead onto the wheel, and then put the tube into the tyre, and put the valve through the wheel, and then work the second side of the tyre bead on, taking care not to trap the tube under it. An example guide is here

Thanks for the advice guys, got them on eventually!
    cython wrote: »
    So, let me get this straight - are you putting the tube onto the wheel, and then trying to put the tyre on over this? If so (and from you saying that the tube is being pinched on either side it seems like you are), it sounds like you're making life difficult on yourself. In my (admittedly limited) experience, and from what I've seen in guides, your best bet is to put one side of the tyre bead onto the wheel, and then put the tube into the tyre, and put the valve through the wheel, and then work the second side of the tyre bead on, taking care not to trap the tube under it. An example guide is here

No, I was putting one side of the tyre on first and then trying to get the tube on. I read the link you posted and realised the mistake I was making in putting the tube down into the wheel rather than up into the tyre, so much easier to push it into the tyre. Managed to do the second wheel in less than 15 minutes, not too shabby considering the first took well over an hour. :pac:

Thanks for the help once again guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Threadjacking here but

I currently have 23s on my racer but I'm thinkin about getting 28s for Gael force.
    Can I put the 28s onto my current rims?
    Cheers

Well I've no idea how it happened but one of the tubes I put on burst overnight. I don't think I had it pumped up too much so not sure what the story is. At least it happened last night and not Gaelforce on Saturday, but I'm now pretty worried.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭OldPeculier

I found this very helpful when I started off changing them myself
    link

Plastic tyre levers also helped as I found I was pinching the tube when putting the tyre back on. Hope it helps

Advertisement