Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lifecoaching courses?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 5:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there!

I'm currently very interested in looking into beginning a career as a Life Coach.

I've been busy interviewing different life coaches and many say that it doesn't really matter what course you take, it's the combination of your own life experience with the main life coaching values that you learn which will really help you to help your clients to discover what will motivate them to implement positive life changes.

While I totally agree that life experience is a must have when it comes to life coaching, I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any full-time or really in-depth life coach courses?

If I'm thinking of helping people to move forwards in their life then I really want to be as prepared as I can. Currently studying the most up to the minute life-coaching techniques online and in books, but I feel I'd love to have a cert or diploma or even degree if one existed.

So, can anyone help me on my adventures? :)

If anyone has completed a life coaching course I would love to hear your feedback on it.

Only accredited ones which are either globally recognized or recognized with the UK and Ireland, of course :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 SusanKCoaching

Hi there,

I have just qualified as a Life Coach through xxxxxxxxx. I found them to be brilliant and you get thrown in the deep end from the very start.

check out their website -

There is so much to learn and it sounds like you have the enthusiasim for it. I would recommend the weekend courses as it flows nicely rather than being broken up at evening time when you are tired after a day's work.

best of luck
    susan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 coach1

Hi,
    I graduated from the xxxxxxx in 2008 and found their Diploma in personal and business coaching to be a great qualification. The course takes place in various locations throughout the country from October to May each year and comprises of 1 weekend attendance per month.
    For me, the spread out learning as opposed to cramming it all into one week was great, allowing all the trainees to absorb the information, read the required books, complete the assignments and carry out the compulsory peer and pro bono coaching sessions (minimum 20)

Really gave a thorough training in coaching

ADVERTISEMENT DELETED

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

Try the Irish Institute of NLP - Life and Business Coaching course. By far, the best training i've received in my life.

The website is: (sorry if this is not allowed mods - feel free to delete) www.nlp.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

Is this the psychology forum or the pseudopsychology forum? :confused:

I'm all in favour of discussion about a broad range of topics but surely threads about lifecoaching and NLP belong in forums covering personal issues or alternative/complementary treatment forums?

Having these kinds of topics presented in the psychology forum suggests by association that they are in line with mainstream psychological thinking and practice. There's a reason why the psychology forum is located under "science" and not "personal issues".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Gibs wrote: »

I'm all in favour of discussion about a broad range of topics but surely threads about lifecoaching and NLP belong in forums covering personal issues or alternative/complementary treatment forums?

Having these kinds of topics presented in the psychology forum suggests by association that they are in line with mainstream psychological thinking and practice. There's a reason why the psychology forum is located under "science" and not "personal issues".

I have to agree with you Gibs; [even though you may consider psychoanalysis unscientific;)] I all for helping answer their questions; but NLP and the likes do fall outside of our remit IMO.

Maybe it would be an idea for the mods to throw the question open to the forum users and see what happens from there. The only downside for me would be that the forum may come across as aloof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭krankykitty

I think the problem is that there's no alternative/complementary therapy forum, IIRC there was a campaign a while back to create one but it was rejected, probably because of the risk of medical advice or whatnot. Plus, I don't really think it fits in PI either, which might explain why they end up in Psychology.

Personally, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing, particularly when it opens up a debate about the subject from the point of view of psychology, eg, if there's any psychological type research on the efficacy or non efficacy of such approaches, or indeed information alternative approaches within the psychology field which are evidence based etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Gibs wrote: »

I agree that this forum is not suited to these threads. The best choice right now for this type of thread is the Motivation & Personal Development forum but that's a private forum and most people can't access it. If anyone here does want access then let me know. This forum is for discussion of psychology and shouldn't be expected to cater for these threads. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 namrod5000

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

r3nu4l wrote: »
    I agree that this forum is not suited to these threads

Me too. So I'm editing all the courses because there seems to be a fair amount of advertising going on. Sorry if I'm tarring you all with the same brush, but low post count + recommendation for a particular course = smells funny to me.

And everyone - please remember: this is the psychology forum. Please read the charter before you post.

Advertisement