Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cause wood to crack!

Options
  • 18-08-2010 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

I have some pretty virgin timber lats. Don't know what they are, pine probably.

Can anyone think of a way I could induce cracks in them in the way you see on old weathered wood.

All I can think of is driving some nails through and splitting them, but I'd rather not split all the way through, rather just have a partial depth crack.

Is it impossible?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

a high source of heat would help. I dont mean a fire but left beside a radiator or something similar but the problem doing it that would cause the timber to warp or cup as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭session savage

Yeah, getting them to remain straight would be nigh on impossible. If you want them to crack I would soak them first, for a few days anyway then dry them out as fast as possible. Thats what usually causes wood to crack is drying too quickly.
    Keeping them from splitting the whole way through is not something you would be able to control either. Thats basically down to the grain/thickness of the wood etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

Ya but if u soak it and try dry it out really quickly it definatly will twist, cup and warp!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭William Powell

I've found a pressure washer can produce a weathered look on pine as it cuts away the softer parts of the timber leaving the harder wood. I found a few more ideas here the cow manure method might be worth a try if your in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭a_l_a_n

Thank you all.

Tried a lot of things and got some results.

I was sceptical about the heating inducing cracks so quickly but sure enough a few short soaks and rapid drying in front of the gas fire got me some nice effects with little warping. Also did a little burning with a torch.

I tried oxalic acid (it being all I could lay my hands on) but it didnt do much I dont think.

Best effects were from a wire wheel attached to an electric drill which ripped out the softer grain. Staining it with a diluted black emphasised this new "grain" and although the colour was a long way off what I wanted (being more black whereas I wanted a washed out colourless sort of grey) the net effect was reasonable.

Meant to document the attempts with pictures but my camera was dead and Ive lost my charger.

• Advertisement
Advertisement