Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* All things "Re-check" ...

• 18-08-2010 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

Your school will give you an oppurtunity to view your papers on friday and saturday 2 weeks. My advice is to go look at the papers and analyse and add marks with the help of the marking scheme, which is provided on the day, accompanied by a parent or ideally, if available, a teacher. You can then make an informed choice about whether to pay the 40e to get your paper rechecked. If you find a glaring error in the computation of marks this can be rectified immediately for you. Good luck

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

do u have to pay 40 to view the paper with a teacher no, only if i want to get it professionaly re-checked, then i hav e to pay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

99% sure that viewing is free. Re-checks cost money though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Conor108 wrote: »
    99% sure that viewing is free. Re-checks cost money though
    make that 100%. viewing is free. rechecks cos €35 per subject iirc. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

nope, 40 euro for a recheck im afraid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Liveit wrote: »
    nope, 40 euro for a recheck im afraid
    my mistake :o read somewhere that it was €35 but just checked it on examinations.ie to be sure that it was 40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Isotonic wrote: »
    Your school will give you an oppurtunity to view your papers on friday and saturday 2 weeks. My advice is to go look at the papers and analyse and add marks with the help of the marking scheme, which is provided on the day, accompanied by a parent or ideally, if available, a teacher. You can then make an informed choice about whether to pay the 40e to get your paper rechecked. If you find a glaring error in the computation of marks this can be rectified immediately for you. Good luck
    Good advice, except I would say be sure to ask a teacher, and preferably an experienced examiner, to look at any subjects you feel disappointed with. It doesn't have to be your own teacher, just someone who knows the score.

No disrespect to parents, but *most* will know less about the marking schemes / system than their offspring, and it's naturally second-nature to parents to believe that their Johnny / Mary deserved a better mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

IF you pay for the recheck and it's proved to be wrong and your Mark is changed, don't ya get your money refunded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

scudzilla wrote: »
    IF you pay for the recheck and it's proved to be wrong and your Mark is changed, don't ya get your money refunded?
    If you're upgraded, yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 HereIGo

If you decide to go for a recheck, it is worth bearing in mind how close you are to loosing or gaining. If, for instance, you got 59%, you only need 1% to be upgraded and gain 5points and can afford to lose 4% without being downgraded. However, if you got 55% there is a bigger chance of being downgraded and farther to go to being upgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 samehere

are calculators allowed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

samehere wrote: »
    are calculators allowed

They were in my viewing centre, so yes. It's a very good idea to bring one, it makes things much easier.

It'd also be a good idea to have a look at the marking schemes on www.examinations.ie, particularly for the subjects you weren't happy with. It'll mean you're more familiar with everything when you go in.

Also what randylonghorn said about parents- a teacher, or even a recent LCer would be much more beneficial to you. If anything I think having a parent with you would be more of a hindrance than a help. Unless they're very clued in you'll just end up spending your time trying to explain the way everything works to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭zam

Are you allowed to bring in a copy of:

*The exam paper
    *The marking scheme

for each subject?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

There'll be exam papers and marking schemes provided

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Lawliet wrote: »
    There'll be exam papers and marking schemes provided

Awesome. Last time I checked the SEC website didnt have 2010 marking schemes available in any subject...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

marking schemes won't be allowed - common sense like i suppose...

they'll probably be released after the checks I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Sure? I checked the last day and they are all there

ALL of the marking schemes will be provided at the centre, and they are also on the SEC website right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

Liveit wrote: »
    Sure? I checked the last day and they are all there

Your right. They've only went online in the last two days though. For sure... Because I checked two days ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    marking schemes won't be allowed - common sense like i suppose...

they'll probably be released after the checks I'd say

they are allowed!! they are provided by the centre:) sure what would be the purpose of viewing the scripts if we don't have a marking scheme to look at:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Are you allowed go in on your own though? And if you do find an error in the script marking (such as addition of marks etc), do you still have to send it away and wait till mid October?

Are you allowed go in on your own though? And if you do find an error in the script marking (such as addition of marks etc), do you still have to send it away and wait till mid October?

You can go in on your own.

AFAIK if the addition of marks is wrong it will have to be rechecked. The only basis on which you can get an immediate upgrade is if there is an error in feeding the grade written on your paper into the system (ie if it says you got 280/300, an A1, but on your results statement it said C3).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

And the likelihood of that is...? :D

And the likelihood of that is...? :D

I would say very slim. I think I read somewhere before that the grades are input twice, by two different people, to reduce the chances of it happening. It could happen when the examiner is filling in the sheet with results though I suppose.

That said one of my teachers said that a student of hers was shocked to find that on her results day she got an C in Biology. When she went to view the script it very clearly had A1 written on the front of it. How it happened, I don't know, but it shows that there is some chance of such an upgrade occurring.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The grade is not entered in Athlone, the score is. The computers then convert it into a grade.

By far the most common way of getting an upgrade is where the scores for the different questions have been totted up incorrectly.

so im getting mine checked today - what do i need to bring? do i have to bring that slip of paper that said im due in at this time? bringing my hangbag with a pen/cil n calculator

muffinz wrote: »
    so im getting mine checked today - what do i need to bring? do i have to bring that slip of paper that said im due in at this time? bringing my hangbag with a pen/cil n calculator

You're told to bring that slip but I'm sure you'll get in without it. You are NOT allowed a pencil, or probably your handbag because you could have pens in it, but you are allowed the calculator. The only other thing you need to bring is somebody with knowledge on the papers you are viewing (a teacher/ideally one who has been an examiner/even better again one who examined this year).

My teachers is going to go through it with me, thanks for the info:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Just as a piece of information, marks in [square brackets] do not count towards the total - they are usually where someone had to answer three sections and answered a fourth. The marks in (round brackets) count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

i viewed mine today and i was one mark off the next grade and they never gave it to me ... ONE MARK!!!

Advertisement