Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* All things "Re-check" ...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Viewed my exams tonight, in the hope of scuppering up 5 points to get into my first choice.

I spotted a miscalculation in the geography. The corrector wrote down "16" after one question, but when going back over and adding the totals took it as "10".

We recalculated it anyway and I'm now on 69.4%, a fraction shy of 70% and the 5 extra points. Unless the re-corrector is some sort of Nazi and doesn't round up or doesnt find an extra 2/3 marks in the exam, I'm getting into my first choice either this year (if there is room) or next year.

Is there a more ball kicking story ever in the LC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 333 ✭✭loike

i go in tomorrow when there are no teachers to help
    lol great...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

Everyone needs to get Geography rechecked IMO -

The correcter of our geog papers made a complete balls of it. He realised too many people had Bs and took a few random papers and changed it so that they lost 4 marks and ended up with 69%!

I got 69%, and a few girls in my class who always got high Bs/As in classes and in the mocks got C1s aswell.... Getting it checked, hopefully will get 70 or more and then will get 5 more marks added to my total:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭i like pie

hokeypokey wrote: »
    i viewed mine today and i was one mark off the next grade and they never gave it to me ... ONE MARK!!!

aw that is so mean:( what exam was it? did you send it away to get rechecked?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

muffinz wrote: »
    Everyone needs to get Geography rechecked IMO -

The correcter of our geog papers made a complete balls of it. He realised too many people had Bs and took a few random papers and changed it so that they lost 4 marks and ended up with 69%!

I got 69%, and a few girls in my class who always got high Bs/As in classes and in the mocks got C1s aswell.... Getting it checked, hopefully will get 70 or more and then will get 5 more marks added to my total:D

It *seems* like there was a problem with the distribution of grades in Geography this year. I'd be expecting a harder paper next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Viewed my exams tonight, in the hope of scuppering up 5 points to get into my first choice.

I spotted a miscalculation in the geography. The corrector wrote down "16" after one question, but when going back over and adding the totals took it as "10".

We recalculated it anyway and I'm now on 69.4%, a fraction shy of 70% and the 5 extra points. Unless the re-corrector is some sort of Nazi and doesn't round up or doesnt find an extra 2/3 marks in the exam, I'm getting into my first choice either this year (if there is room) or next year.

Is there a more ball kicking story ever in the LC?

I've been told that there is no "rounding up" in LC marking. I'm not sure how true that is, though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭Ditzie

4 marks off my grade n biology, have at least 4 questions worth 3 marks that the examiner put 0 on like wtf? it was there in black and white on the marking scheme word for word!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭muffinz

dambarude wrote: »
    It *seems* like there was a problem with the distribution of grades in Geography this year. I'd be expecting a harder paper next year.
    My teacher told me today that last year people who never did a days work came out with high Bs, and then they made a balls of it this year too :rolleyes: The one subject i actually worked my ass of for is the one they have to mess up :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

MavisDavis wrote: »
    I've been told that there is no "rounding up" in LC marking. I'm not sure how true that is, though..

That's true. Being within a certain range of marks gives you a certain grade. In Spanish the marks are graded like this for example (taken from marking scheme):

A: 255 - 300
    B: 210 - 254
    C: 165 - 209
    D: 120 - 164
    E: 75 - 119
    F: 30 - 74
    N.G.: 0 - 29

So if you got 254 marks you got a B, there's no rounding up or down, and no percentages are involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

i like pie wrote: »
    aw that is so mean:( what exam was it? did you send it away to get rechecked?

It was maths, so it wasn't like there was any shortage of marks! I sent it away, but i don't need the points.
    I was six marks away in Geography aswell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 mmmchoccy

I got 79.5 percent in Biology! Thats half a percent! I nearly died because I need just five points to get the course I want... and there were a few cases where I had written word for word from the marking scheme and got no marks * fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

I'm on tomorrow afternoon. What did they allow into the room - a calculator?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Repeat2011

if you get your script rechecked and it turns our that you have enoough points for the course, do you get accepted straight away or do you have to wait til next year?!:confused::confused:

hokeypokey wrote: »
    It was maths, so it wasn't like there was any shortage of marks! I sent it away, but i don't need the points.
    I was six marks away in Geography aswell...

wow that is so unlucky:( hopefully you'll go up in the maths!! did the centre have the marking schemes and papers and were you allowed to bring in a calculator?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭hokeypokey

i like pie wrote: »
    wow that is so unlucky:( hopefully you'll go up in the maths!! did the centre have the marking schemes and papers and were you allowed to bring in a calculator?

yea they had calculators and marking schemes, i didnt really look at it just decided when i saw the marks that id get it rechecked!

Repeat2011 wrote: »
    if you get your script rechecked and it turns our that you have enoough points for the course, do you get accepted straight away or do you have to wait til next year?!:confused::confused:

it really depends on the course and college! some may decide that you've missed too much to be able to catch up so they'll keep a place for you next year:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭monaghanman10

went in to look at mine today,economics was entered wrong so dat was up to a b1 straight away and im pretty sure its an a2 wit a recheck.chemistry was 1 mark away from b2 so i reckon dat will go up.looked through my irish.aced paper 2:D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

ya I did! Yup calculators allowed, you are advised to have one!
    No pens paper or mobile phones!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

my eng teacher thinks I can go up 2 grades!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Aisling1992

ya make sure u bring a calculator because you will need it.

Any one thinking of appealing their irish? Do they recheck your oral aswell as your written paper?

• Advertisement

Was only 1% off a higher grade in a few papers. Maths suffered a harsh fall because they changed the marking scheme which meant i went down by 2 grades :(.
    Any one appealing irish or French? Do ye know if they recheck your oral aswell or must you ask them to recheck it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Any one thinking of appealing their irish? Do they recheck your oral aswell as your written paper?
    Do you mean oral or aural?

I don't see how they could re-check oral, tbh.

Do you mean oral or aural?

I don't see how they could re-check oral, tbh.
    Oral. Im sure thats the reason they record it no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

That's in case the examiner says you came on to him to get extra marks and the likes I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I already have the points for my course so I just viewed them for the craic really (yes, that's how I get my laughs :P), but I was still SO sickened when I got 89.333% in Maths!! How close. But I haven't got the money for a re-check so it'll have to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Do they record them all these days?

I guess they could, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭frser32

Looked at the English today...was marked crazy! My teacher said to get it rechecked....i hope i go up a grade or 2. She said my questions in p1 were to perfection...for some reason she marked me extremely low in some qs. I guess English is a subjective subject..however she just seemed to pluck numbers out of anywhere...she also didn't ad up scores right. :mad: BTW if you get your Irish re checked, your Oral would have been recorded, so it will be listened to and marked again by the appeal examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭dazco

Aoifey! wrote: »
    I already have the points for my course so I just viewed them for the craic really (yes, that's how I get my laughs :P), but I was still SO sickened when I got 89.333% in Maths!! How close. But I haven't got the money for a re-check so it'll have to do

Try 89.8, literally 1 mark off an A1, which would bring me up 10 points and get me my first choice which i'm 5 off. I'm sending it in for recheck and hoping the corrector will have a heart..... in fairness, i'm pretty sure in maths paper 1 and 2 are corrected by different people so neither would have known i was 1 mark off....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Do they record them all these days?

I guess they could, so.
    Yap. Surprises me they didn't always.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

My French teacher told us that the recordings are only used to check on the examiner - i.e. to make sure that the test was conducted fairly, and that the examiner wasn't being too tough on people. He said it wasn't used for rechecks/appeals - I could be wrong though.

Advertisement