Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* All things "Re-check" ...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭felic

Thats true... and I guess if they even mentioned making scrip corrections a compulsory part of teaching, there would be uproar. And then you would be looking at making changes to how teachers are changed because they would need training in final exam correcting techniques so that they would have at least some sort of 'experience'.
    This thing is giving me a headache. There's doesn't seem to be any way of making this less stressful for all involved.. teachers, correctors, students and parents alike. I guess we just be thankful for the recheck possibility should a student feel they did a much paper exam than what they were awarded. What was mentioned earlier about the examiner knowing if they are correcting an A1 script, I think its the same for the student.
    I just think its awful that mistakes can be made and that a student faces a year on defer for their chosen course because by the time the rechecks come back, their course would have had all its places filled and possibly be already into a few weeks of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I think the phrase here is "in an ideal world ..."

In an ideal world there would be lots of funding for education, for providing extra resources for schools in disadvantaged areas, for providing support to students in all schools who are struggling, for double-marking exams, for supporting students who are struggling to cope with college either academically or financially ... well, the list could go on for ever, tbh.

In an ideal world ...

Our world is far from ideal, and here in Ireland it's even less ideal than it was a few years ago.
    felic wrote: »
    This thing is giving me a headache. There's doesn't seem to be any way of making this less stressful for all involved.. teachers, correctors, students and parents alike. I guess we just be thankful for the recheck possibility should a student feel they did a much paper exam than what they were awarded.
    In fact, the re-check system has been made a lot more student-friendly over the years ... the facility to actually view your own scripts with a teacher etc. has only been in place a few years.
    felic wrote: »
    I just think its awful that mistakes can be made and that a student faces a year on defer for their chosen course because by the time the rechecks come back, their course would have had all its places filled and possibly be already into a few weeks of it.
    Depends on the course, some people will be able to start this year, but yes, some will have to defer for a year. We're talking about a really really tiny percentage of those involved, but yes, it's still unfair on those people. I'm not for a second saying that's the way it should be, or that every effort shouldn't be made to improve the system .... I just can't see panel- or double-marking being a viable avenue any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

In fact, the re-check system has been made a lot more student-friendly over the years ... the facility to actually view your own scripts with a teacher etc. has only been in place a few years.

Yes, I did my LC in 1996 and you couldn't view your scripts back then, you just sent back the form for the appeal if you weren't happy with your grade and hoped for the best. I was a straight A student in Biology the whole way through 5th and 6th and found the exam on the day fine. Not A1 standard but I thought I got on well. Was quite miffed to see a C3 on my results sheet. It was my worst grade. Honestly thought I did way better than that, however I just got the cut off points for my college course and couldn't risk my grade dropping so I never appealed it. I couldn't view it either to see if there was an error in calculations, it had been marked poorly, or if I had made a total balls of the exam and was deluded about my effort in june!:pac:
    Depends on the course, some people will be able to start this year, but yes, some will have to defer for a year. We're talking about a really really tiny percentage of those involved, but yes, it's still unfair on those people. I'm not for a second saying that's the way it should be, or that every effort shouldn't be made to improve the system .... I just can't see panel- or double-marking being a viable avenue any time soon.

yep, it is unfair, but at least they are accommodated within the system as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DayTripper

I viewed LCVP with a teacher the other day and figured out that I'm 2.5% off a Distinction, which will give me 20 extra points... I know it'll take a few marks to boost me up to that but I could get offered my first choice with it so it's being appealed!
    The teacher thinks my portfolio was marked fairly weird in comparison to the paper - the examiner kept underlining spelling and grammar mistakes where there were none and docked the odd few marks for no real reason that she could see... I haven't heard anyone else talking about getting LCVP rechecked, is there anyone here doing the same?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DayTripper wrote: »
    The teacher thinks my portfolio was marked fairly weird in comparison to the paper - the examiner kept underlining spelling and grammar mistakes where there were none and docked the odd few marks for no real reason that she could see...

Is there any chance someone in your group could have had a very similar portfolio to yours?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

spurious wrote: »
    Is there any chance someone in your group could have had a very similar portfolio to yours?

I know what you're getting at here spurious, but how would this be picked up on in a recheck? I presume that the recheck examiner will re-examine only the script which has been appealed, so would that make any difference in a recheck (ie the fact that a candidate's work was very similar to a candidate from the same class)?

That said, I thought that examiners were meant to correct each script on their own merits, whether content is similar or not (unless very obvious plagiarism/syndication has occurred). I didn't do LCVP but I'm aware that certain parts of the portfolio could be quite similar to other people in your class (factory visits etc.).

dambarude wrote: »
    I know what you're getting at here spurious, but how would this be picked up on in a recheck? I presume that the recheck examiner will re-examine only the script which has been appealed, so would that make any difference in a recheck (ie the fact that a candidate's work was very similar to a candidate from the same class)?

That said, I thought that examiners were meant to correct each script on their own merits, whether content is similar or not (unless very obvious plagiarism/syndication has occurred). I didn't do LCVP but I'm aware that certain parts of the portfolio could be quite similar to other people in your class (factory visits etc.).

yes, but as an examiner if you get a bundle of scripts from one exam centre, which is usually a class group or maybe two class groups if a particular subject is popular in a school, it's easy to spot plagiarism within a class. An exam paper would indeed be corrected on its own merits but that doesn't mean an examiner can't also suspect and spot plagiarism and investigate it further. Two of my students were caught for copying in their written exam last year, photocopies of their papers were sent back to the school with a letter and their results in that subject were withheld.

You were awarded a grade so there's probably no issue there.

Two of my students were caught for copying in their written exam last year, photocopies of their papers were sent back to the school with a letter and their results in that subject were withheld.

I'm intrigued- how did they manage to do that in the written exam?

I think* that Spurious was suggesting that the poster in question had a similar portfolio to others in their class, leading to a loss of marks. If no plagiarism/syndication was involved would an appeal examiner not wonder why this candidate was marked lower (if there are no other scripts to compare it to)? I'm not privy to how marks are awarded in such cases, all I'm aware of is the fact that no published marking scheme that I've ever seen has given direction on how to reduce candidate's marks when such a case arises. Does it actually happen?

(*feel free to correct me if this is a misrepresentation of your post!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It was the mention of correctly spelled words and grammatically correct phrases being underlined that made me think maybe it was being compared with another portfolio.

Since you were awarded a grade, they would have decided there was no plagiarism.

What happens when plagiarism is suspected is the examiner sends the 'suspect' scripts to their advising examiner with a note as to why they think it might be plagiarism, the advising examiner then checks it too and if he/she agrees it goes to the Chief Examiner. To be honest, it has to be fairly barefaced and obvious before any action is taken.

There is an issue sometimes with really weak children where a teacher may have written guidelines on the board and the weakest children just copy them verbatim.

dambarude wrote: »
    I'm intrigued- how did they manage to do that in the written exam?

I think* that Spurious was suggesting that the poster in question had a similar portfolio to others in their class, leading to a loss of marks. If no plagiarism/syndication was involved would an appeal examiner not wonder why this candidate was marked lower (if there are no other scripts to compare it to)? I'm not privy to how marks are awarded in such cases, all I'm aware of is the fact that no published marking scheme that I've ever seen has given direction on how to reduce candidate's marks when such a case arises. Does it actually happen?

(*feel free to correct me if this is a misrepresentation of your post!)

Not a clue how they did it, their surnames were close together in the alphabet so they would have probably been sitting opposite each other or one behind the other. As well as having all the right answers the same, they had the wrong answers the same, with the same spelling mistakes and same obscure answers/phrasing.

Reduction of marks is not part of the scheme. as spurious said in the post above suspected plagiarism is sent to the Advising Examiner and they make a decision on it. I'd imagine it's on a case by case basis.

• Advertisement

Not a clue how they did it, their surnames were close together in the alphabet so they would have probably been sitting opposite each other or one behind the other. As well as having all the right answers the same, they had the wrong answers the same, with the same spelling mistakes and same obscure answers/phrasing.

Interesting- you'd think the exam superintendent would have noticed it happening. Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

When do find out the results of the re-check by the way? I forget...

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    When do find out the results of the re-check by the way? I forget...

It's usually around the middle of October

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Zephyr91

do you collect them from the school or are they posted out? thanks...

Zephyr91 wrote: »
    do you collect them from the school or are they posted out? thanks...

Can't remember exactly. It's been a couple of years since I've had a student send a paper for recheck, I think the school definitely gets a copy. I have a feeling that you might be able to check it online as well

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Kylzer911

There any chance of dropping out and rechecking your scripts next year???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

Kylzer911 wrote: »
    There any chance of dropping out and rechecking your scripts next year???
    Do you mean rechecking the scripts you did this year, next september?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭blacklionboy

Hey,

I got my rechecks back the other day and one of the grades was upgrade. Just wondering when or how I'll be getting my money back for that?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

My career guidance teacher told me that they (SEC) send you a check in the post. Still haven't received mine yet though!

Liveit wrote: »
    Do you mean rechecking the scripts you did this year, next september?

I do. Any chance?

• Advertisement

Thread merged.

dynamot wrote: »
    My career guidance teacher told me that they (SEC) send you a check in the post. Still haven't received mine yet though!

Hold your horses, these things don't happen instantly. Correctors who corrected the appeals haven't even been paid yet.
    I do. Any chance?

Not a hope. You have a 2 week window at the start of September to send your papers for recheck. If you don't do it then, you don't get another chance.

Hold your horses, these things don't happen instantly. Correctors who corrected the appeals haven't even been paid yet.

Not a hope. You have a 2 week window at the start of September to send your papers for recheck. If you don't do it then, you don't get another chance.

Right, well in this case of not being able to up my maths from C1 to B3 for a specific course, are there any other options for me at this point?

PS: I have till Thursday to leave my course and avail of free fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 264 ✭✭Liveit

well if you had the points but it was just the minimum requirements that you didn't meet, then you could just resit the maths exam next year and if you got your B3 then you would get into that course provided the points did not increase.
    You are probably looking for an immediate solution but there is none. If you are happy with your course then its all good but if its not for you then you should consider your options.

Liveit wrote: »
    well if you had the points but it was just the minimum requirements that you didn't meet, then you could just resit the maths exam next year and if you got your B3 then you would get into that course provided the points did not increase.
    You are probably looking for an immediate solution but there is none. If you are happy with your course then its all good but if its not for you then you should consider your options.

Thanks for the reply, I thought that's what i'd have to do.

Hmm it's tough, my course is not bad, i just feel like I could have short changed myself choosing a course with lower points, whereas I could have done a similar one in a more *cough* prestigious college. The whole campus thing and other people's snobbery is annoying me.

Thanks for the reply, I thought that's what i'd have to do.

Hmm it's tough, my course is not bad, i just feel like I could have short changed myself choosing a course with lower points, whereas I could have done a similar one in a more *cough* prestigious college. The whole campus thing and other people's snobbery is annoying me.

Lower points doesn't say anything about the course, it just means there was less demand for it.

Ask yourself, do you like the course you are currently doing and the college where you are. Forget about comparing it with other colleges and courses for a moment and just think about do you like what you are doing?

Hey,

I got my rechecks back the other day and one of the grades was upgrade. Just wondering when or how I'll be getting my money back for that?
    cheers

Hey Blacklionboy. I was wondering if you can remember just how many days before your post you got the recheck result. I've tried to find last years date but it's nowhere to be seen. I need an idea cus I had a holiday booked for mid-October but just found out I'm 6 points short of Medicine and I'm just hoping the appeal results and holiday dont clash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭LilMissCiara

Hey Blacklionboy. I was wondering if you can remember just how many days before your post you got the recheck result. I've tried to find last years date but it's nowhere to be seen. I need an idea cus I had a holiday booked for mid-October but just found out I'm 6 points short of Medicine and I'm just hoping the appeal results and holiday dont clash.

This thread is nearly a year old so the chances are he won't see your question.

There's no point asking people on the internet, ring or email the SEC and ask what date the appeals results are out.

This thread is nearly a year old so the chances are he won't see your question.

There's no point asking people on the internet, ring or email the SEC and ask what date the appeals results are out.

Ciara, the SEC are pretty useless in this topic as they give a very broad answer of "mid-October". This is the only thread from 2010 where I could find a post that was written just after the appeal results so I figured it's worth a try. I mean you saw it....

• Advertisement

Ciara, the SEC are pretty useless in this topic as they give a very broad answer of "mid-October". This is the only thread from 2010 where I could find a post that was written just after the appeal results so I figured it's worth a try. I mean you saw it....

They won't give you a set date yet because all appeal results are released on the same day. They won't know how many appeals or subjects there are to be appealed until they get back all the paperwork from the schools.

Mid October is usually in and around the 15th-16th October

Advertisement