Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* All things "Re-check" ...

12346»

Comments

They won't give you a set date yet because all appeal results are released on the same day. They won't know how many appeals or subjects there are to be appealed until they get back all the paperwork from the schools.

Mid October is usually in and around the 15th-16th October

Thanx Rainbowtrout! I know they wouldn't give a set date yet, I was just hoping to find out last years as presumably it'd be similar. I'm hoping it's around that date anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DayTripper

I know you's kind of went through it there but I'll chip in anyway! I got an upgrade last year and the results came out on the 12th because I got a letter from UCD saying welcome that day as well :p Doubt it'll be the same date obviously but they could be a few days before the 15th/16th too! :)

Thanx daytripper! I appreciate! So you automatically got a letter, from the course you initially missed out on, accepting you? Can you remember if there was a time limit to reply to it or accept it?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

DayTripper wrote: »
    I know you's kind of went through it there but I'll chip in anyway! I got an upgrade last year and the results came out on the 12th because I got a letter from UCD saying welcome that day as well :p Doubt it'll be the same date obviously but they could be a few days before the 15th/16th too! :)

Can I ask how your transfer/transition from one college to another went? Could you start your course immediately and had your college any accomodation set aside for people arriving late? Was it hard missing freshers week?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm another LC student on edge..

I wouldnt mind so much but I've already repeated once and don't want to do it again lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Sanity_Saviour

Has anybody got any rechecking fairytale/horror stories whereby their LC mark was nowhere near their rechecked mark? Someone in my school 2 years ago got a c2 in geography rechecked to an A1 so there's hope for everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DayTripper

Thanx daytripper! I appreciate! So you automatically got a letter, from the course you initially missed out on, accepting you? Can you remember if there was a time limit to reply to it or accept it?

Okay, checked the date again on my UCD letter and results, it was the 13th that the results came out and the UCD letter actually came the following day :o So if you do go up with the amended results, it won't be far behind anyway!

And nope, no set time limit like the CAO's one week thing as the offer didn't come through the CAO (for me at least!). Though it probably is best to decide as soon as possible, I don't know how many other colleges allow you to enter straight away after the upgrades come out but UCD basically told me I had to defer for a year because all the courses were five weeks in and I'd missed half a semester and orientation, etc. So, if they let you, best to start straight away!
    aranciata wrote: »
    Can I ask how your transfer/transition from one college to another went? Could you start your course immediately and had your college any accomodation set aside for people arriving late? Was it hard missing freshers week?

It's not too many questions don't worry! Just wish I could answer some of them for you :P I'd accepted my first offer and started in that college by the time the appeal results came out, and UCD told me I had to defer for a year because I'd missed 5 weeks already at that stage and orientation but they let me continue on in the other place for the year.

Wish I could answer more for you but I don't know how it would've worked if I'd started straight away, I don't think UCD let you though, just in case that's where you were headed!

Cheers DayTripper! That info helps a lot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deedeegun

Does anyone know if it's possible to get English Paper 2 rechecked by itself?.. Happy enough with Paper 1 and don't want to risk it being downgraded!

deedeegun wrote: »
    Does anyone know if it's possible to get English Paper 2 rechecked by itself?.. Happy enough with Paper 1 and don't want to risk it being downgraded!

Hey Dee. I'm afraid you can't. It's all or nothing for each subject.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

aranciata wrote: »

Like DayTripper said it will depend on the course and college. If say, you are in General Science in UCC and you are offered Biochemistry in UCC after the upgrades come out, it probably wouldn't be too hard for you to catch up on anything, the material covered in first year of many science degrees is fairly similar. However if it was a different area like Law, you might have missed too much time so they ask you to defer, or if it was a course that had a specific number of places for a reason they may not be able to fit you in and they only thing that they can do is defer. E.g. If you were offered Home Economics in Sligo and they had a kitchen with 20 cookers to practice on then they only have room for 20 students. If the class is full they can't take you in until next year, even if you are able to catch up with the theory there is no room for you in the practical. (That's probably not how Home Ec degrees work, just trying to illustrate the point).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cinnemaroll

Has anybody got any rechecking fairytale/horror stories whereby their LC mark was nowhere near their rechecked mark? Someone in my school 2 years ago got a c2 in geography rechecked to an A1 so there's hope for everyone...

well my sister got 3 subjects rechecked back in 2009 and went from a b1 to an a2 in two ( biology/maths)... Not unheard of but definately quite rare to get multiple upgrades:D

better yet those 10 points rescued the damsel in academic distress from ucd nursing and whisked her away to occupational therapy in trinity castle. so ya a regular modern day fairytale basically!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Paulbeth

Hi all

Hope all goes well for everyone appealing grades. Could I ask a question - maybe a silly one? If a person gets, say, a C2 in a subject and that grade is appealed and the person then gets a B2, what happens to the other scripts corrected by the original examiner? I think the answer is that nothing happens to them, but wouldn't it be fair to say that other scripts corrected by that examiner (or a sample of them) deserve a recheck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 grainne0050

Anyone know when the results of the appeals are out???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Paulbeth wrote: »
    Hi all

Hope all goes well for everyone appealing grades. Could I ask a question - maybe a silly one? If a person gets, say, a C2 in a subject and that grade is appealed and the person then gets a B2, what happens to the other scripts corrected by the original examiner? I think the answer is that nothing happens to them, but wouldn't it be fair to say that other scripts corrected by that examiner (or a sample of them) deserve a recheck?
    The answer is, indeed, nothing happens to them - scripts are corrected on an individual basis. Something similiar happened with my JC English papers (marked ridiculously), about 7 or 8 people sent for rechecks and were all upgraded - but the SEC refused to check the rest of the papers corrected by that examiner. It's counter-intuitive in one sense, but makes sense in another, at LC level anyway. Candidates in the LC have every chance to check their papers and if they went back and checked every examiner's paper when an appeal result went up significantly then it'd increase the workload of rechecking the papers greatly - which the SEC wouldn't be getting 40€ to do per subject.
    Anyone know when the results of the appeals are out???
    Nothing released yet as far as I can see, still the "mid-October" line. Hopefully something will be released by the end of this week, but if not I'll send them an email next week enquiring about it.

Advertisement