Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time builder here looking for hardware advice.

Options
  • 18-08-2010 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

:o Looking for a bit of guidance in the hardware department.

CPU: i5/ Phenom ii x4
    GPU: HD5770 1GB (Sapphire)
    RAM: 4GB Min, I'm thinking Corsair 1600MHz

Mobo: ????
    Case: ????
    PSU: Corsair 450W????

HDD: ???? 1TB/7200RPM preferably
    DVD Drive: ????
    CD Drive: ???? Will I even need?

Monitor: Im hoping the HDMI output from the HD5770 will enable me to use my Samsung 1080i Tv for video output. (?)

Budget? 800euros would be the upper limit for me.
    Intended use? Gaming primarily.

The "????" sections are areas I have done a bit of research into, but I dont feel I know enough to make confident choices in; I mainly feel I just dont have enough 1st hand experience with the manufacturers to judge them apart :rolleyes:

Could you suggest anywhere to purchase these parts from also?

Ive been looking over different places for the past 2 weeks:

hardwareversand.de is one I'd rather not use though, I want to be able to use a credit card/ laser if possible.

Thanks to anyone who can help me a little :) (Or alot ;) )

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

If you could stretch a bit closer to €850 this build plus Win7 would be perfect. If €800 is the hard limit you could either drop down to HD5770 or go AM3 and get a Phenom X4-925/945. Or, if you never intend to OC even a tiny bit, drop the CPU cooler and downgrade the PSU to a Corsair CX400, freeing up €40 or more.

As for the above...

Mobo - Varies, for AM3 get the MSI 770-G45 if strapped for cash, for LGA1156 try to avoid the low-end Asus and ASRock mobos.

Case - If very budget-limited either a Thermaltake V3 (~€35) or NZXT Gamma (~€39) plus a couple of fans is best. The latter actually has cable routing :D

PSU - Again, varies, CX400 is just about possible, VX450 a bit better but disproportionately pricey for what it is, Earthwatts 650D is great value for its class but not pretty.

OS - Win7 64bit is just about perfect ;)

HDD - Samsung F3 1TB is good, and now dirt-cheap to boot! :D

DVD Drive - Anything that burns, preferably to DVD-RAM as well, and is SATA-based and not Sony :p

CD - See above, which does both :)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭The_Nipper_One

Much appreciated!

I'll have a look over the different options tonight and post a reply here ASAP.

Wow Solitaire.

I priced up those parts from another place and HV.de is coming in almost 200euro cheaper...

I said I didnt want to use them, but im now thinking I should go through the bother.

Just one question if you dont mind; How are they if something goes wrong? Its alot of money, and since its a bank transfer, I know theres not alot of protection for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

im the same with hardwareversand.de its saving me about 2-300 euro so i figure it is worth the hassle plus their german so they cant be that bad :)

I did a bit of snooping about on the forums here.

It seems that anytime someone had a problem with them, it actually turned out to be another party who were responsible.

Seems like as long as we can get the money to them, there will be no probs :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement