Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Irish owned mobile phone company called just mobile

Options
  • 18-08-2010 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Hi
    Two guys Stuart and Donal are launching a new Irish owned mobile phone company called "Just mobile".
    http://www.justmobile.ie/
    I've searched their website and a few other threads on boards but I can't seem to find which network they are hoping on. (They are an MVNO)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

this is being covered in the eircom spb thread already ;)

there is no clue of what network their gonna leech off

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

did anybody watch the video on the site?

. . .makes you wonder if they'll be selling expensive, weirdly flavoured icecream too

i like their site though :)

lets hope its not all talk and no action

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭Plebs

Looks more like a bleeding edge marketing experiment than anything else.

You need huge capital to enter the mobile phone sector. Even as an MVNO.

It's good though. Personally, I hate how patronising all the big players are with their advertising message.

• Advertisement

true...what ive been looking for right now is free texts and call to same network with being able to buy decent internet add ons on PAYG..this has been implemented in so many countries at low prices even but not here...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,402 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

fair play to them

wish them the best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm looking for pretty much the same thing as most it seems - on Meteor payg with free Meteor calls and texts, suits me fine as most of my friends are on Meteor, but I spend 90% of my credit on their 99c a day internet offer, despite usually only using 5mb or so, if they had a 250mb add on I wouldn't even need to consider moving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

Plebs wrote: »
    Looks more like a bleeding edge marketing experiment than anything else.

You need huge capital to enter the mobile phone sector. Even as an MVNO.

It's good though. Personally, I hate how patronising all the big players are with their advertising message.

its a balls really, it should be as easy as buying a few 100e worth of stuff off ebay and putting an antenna on your roof if you want to start a mobile phone company

but unfortunately the very nature of how GSM, 3G and LTE are designed means its almost exclusively a game for the big boys

if it wasn't a requirement that you bribe some government officials to get a 'license' to run a phone network i'd give this a go http://openbts.sourceforge.net/

• Advertisement

its a balls really, it should be as easy as buying a few 100e worth of stuff off ebay and putting an antenna on your roof if you want to start a mobile phone company

but unfortunately the very nature of how GSM, 3G and LTE are designed means its almost exclusively a game for the big boys

if it wasn't a requirement that you bribe some government officials to get a 'license' to run a phone network i'd give this a go http://openbts.sourceforge.net/

Not really, the design of a reliable, high-performance network is best left to the professionals.

Meteor have invested millions in shaking off their "poor performance" image. I can imagine how much they'd have to spend if they had openbts's on the windowsills of open source volunteers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Prabhu Deva

Plebs wrote: »
    Not really, the design of a reliable, high-performance network is best left to the professionals.

Meteor have invested millions in shaking off their "poor performance" image. I can imagine how much they'd have to spend if they had openbts's on the windowsills of open source volunteers.

o rly? I never knew meteor had a 'poor performance' image and never had any problems with them either

i would imagine such a network wouldn't have any millions to spend and until everyone and their dog was running a BTS people would only use it with a spare handset or dual sim phone to make cheap/free calls

if you just leave everything to the professionals you'll just spend the rest of your days getting ripped off

o rly? I never knew meteor had a 'poor performance' image and never had any problems with them either

i would imagine such a network wouldn't have any millions to spend and until everyone and their dog was running a BTS people would only use it with a spare handset or dual sim phone to make cheap/free calls

if you just leave everything to the professionals you'll just spend the rest of your days getting ripped off

What kind of reliability, bandwidth and latency would you expect from an ad-hoc, community-managed wireless network based on cobbled together hardware?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭standardtoaster

They're going to using the Vodafone network!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

Anyone any information on when they will launch? or what their 3G data tariff will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,227 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Fungus wrote: »
    Anyone any information on when they will launch? or what their 3G data tariff will be?

There launching this week I think and you can only get them in Spar. No 3G either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

No 3G :( Forget it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Their site gives no info on price plans or anything not very helpful to be honest and i doubt it if they will be using vodafone as they already have postfone and 3 using there network and also their own customers if it is going to be vodafone that they will be using would this not overload the vf network with the large volume of calls and data going tru it as it is ? ? does anyone actually have any info on these guys where you can get sims etc??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭LevelSpirit

Fungus wrote: »
    No 3G :( Forget it.

I agree.
    What use is a phone without 3G these days.

Whats needed is DATA PACKAGES that compete with the existing networks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Won a Samsung E2120 off their FB page last week, a few people have won iPhone 4/HTC phones too.

Have signed up for free sim card when it launches so we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Cant say Im very impressed by a mobile phone company whos website cant be accessed from a ............mobile phone :-S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gunslinger1987

Won a Samsung E2120 off their FB page last week, a few people have won iPhone 4/HTC phones too.

Have signed up for free sim card when it launches so we'll see.

And I won The iPhone :)
    Great piece of kit!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

And I won The iPhone :)
    Great piece of kit!!!

hopefully it is not network locked, cause if it is it will be a lot less useful with no 3g data

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 gunslinger1987

Using it on O2 for the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

hopefully it is not network locked, cause if it is it will be a lot less useful with no 3g data

Samsung was unlocked to all networks too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

That was increased to 500MB a few weeks ago (€5 on 3Pay).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭fbradyirl

It's a pretty good deal now. Not sure if any other pre-pay deals can top it for data.

• Advertisement

Advertisement