Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a German school in Germany?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I am looking to study german in Germany (although I suppose I have no objection to Austria) for four or five months.

Does anyone have any personal experience of a particular school in whatever city. Can't help but be swayed to Berlin or Munich but I found a school in Dusseldorf that has a better price. I have googled but all the top ones are difficult to tell apart. You get loads of schools that are part of a worldwide network and all the sites look the same, hard to get a feeling on the school. I would really appreciate any opinions. Four to five months is a long time so I don't want to drop myself somewhere and not like it. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Hey all,

I am looking to study german in Germany (although I suppose I have no objection to Austria) for four or five months.

Does anyone have any personal experience of a particular school in whatever city. Can't help but be swayed to Berlin or Munich but I found a school in Dusseldorf that has a better price. I have googled but all the top ones are difficult to tell apart. You get loads of schools that are part of a worldwide network and all the sites look the same, hard to get a feeling on the school. I would really appreciate any opinions. Four to five months is a long time so I don't want to drop myself somewhere and not like it. Thanks

go to Hannover where they speak the 'best' German.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Fuinseog wrote: »
    go to Hannover where they speak the 'best' German.

:pac: That's a bit controversial isn't it. I thought they were laughed at for speaking overly 'proper' German. Picked up a bit in Hannover and in the Rhineland they take the piss at my pronunciation of some words. :( Apparently it was akin to speaking English with a very proper BBC accent :D

prinz wrote: »
    :pac: That's a bit controversial isn't it. I thought they were laughed at for speaking overly 'proper' German. Picked up a bit in Hannover and in the Rhineland they take the piss at my pronunciation of some words. :( Apparently it was akin to speaking English with a very proper BBC accent :D

why are you learning German? if it is to do business then I recommend Hannover.its dialect free. its not as bad as BBC eNglish and will be understood everywhere and that is maybe what you want.

they will always take the piss and people will always have chips on their shoulder. they will mock your american or British accent when speaking German(if you speak english in their eyes you can only come from either country).

many Austrians for example refuse to speak standard German and as a result are readily understood outside of their village. they also have a chip on their shoulder with people speaking standard German, which is plain silly and their loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

topic, ^^^^^^ this ain't it :D

(oh look, shiny new moderator hat)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Not learning for business, I will be returning to university as a mature student and will have to do an interview to get in. I am looking to do applied languages. I am living in south america and have intermediate spanish. I love to travel and want to have spanish and german. Years ago I did french for my leaving which really doesn't interest me anymore. I really like german. So I want to really pull up the very basic german I have and get it evaluated, same with my spanish. I am hoping this will also help me in an interview. Regardless of whether it helps to get me a place or not, it is so much nicer travelling europe without so much dependence on english.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I'm pretty sure that any language school worth its salt will teach "proper" German, regardless of its location.

Toss a coin ...pick whichever you fancy most / can afford the easiest.

peasant wrote: »

was soll das? Eine Erklärung, bitte

I'm pretty sure that any language school worth its salt will teach "proper" German, regardless of its location.

Toss a coin ...pick whichever you fancy most / can afford the easiest.

stimmt, eine Sprachschule ist eine Sprachschule, egal wo sie liegt. wichtig ist es aber, dass die Leute auf die Strasse auch halbwegs nach der Schrift reden und das ist nicht überall der Fall.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Es tut mir Leid. :o

Advertisement