Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That 8th subject

• 18-08-2010 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi, I'm about to start 6th year in September and have recently realised I'm going to have a problem with my points this time next year. I do Irish Maths, English, History, Biology and Art - All at higher level. However, I'll probably drop down to pass Irish as Hounours takes far too long. I'm pretty bad at Art, and my Maths has far to go. I was thinking of taking up an extra subject for my leaving cert. I was thinking possibly economics. I can't really afford grinds so I was wondering if this was a subject I could teach myself? Does anyone else have any other subject suggestions? Is it actually possible to finish the course and even maybe get an A in the leaving cert? Has anyone done this? Where can I get help on the course if I need it? Any help would be great!!:D

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Hi, I'm about to start 6th year in September and have recently realised I'm going to have a problem with my points this time next year. I do Irish Maths, English, History, Biology and Art - All at higher level. However, I'll probably drop down to pass Irish as Hounours takes far too long. I'm pretty bad at Art, and my Maths has far to go. I was thinking of taking up an extra subject for my leaving cert. I was thinking possibly economics. I can't really afford grinds so I was wondering if this was a subject I could teach myself? Does anyone else have any other subject suggestions? Is it actually possible to finish the course and even maybe get an A in the leaving cert? Has anyone done this? Where can I get help on the course if I need it? Any help would be great!!:D

Try the leaving cert forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=107

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Mark2006

Just got my leaving cert results yesterday and got an A2 in economics. I don't think I would have been able to get that result if it wasn't for my teacher. There are some parts of the course which are pretty much common sense as long as your up to date on Ireland's current economic situation. I would reccomend watching the news every few days in 6th year. If you are a gambler, there are certain parts of the course which could be left out if you were running short on time. I wouldn't recomend it though.

There are however some parts of the course which are very difficult and confusing. I don't think I would have been able to grasp some of the concepts on my own without a teacher helping me. I don't think I would have been able to get an A in economics at higher level without a teacher.

A course which I think would be less difficult to teach yourself would be the Business course. Although the course is pretty massive, there is alot less understanding involved than there is in economics. You would need to spend alot of time on it though, which could effect your other subjects.

Advertisement