Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting house - joint ownership advice

Options
  • 18-08-2010 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi,
    I'm looking for some help with renting my house I own it with my brother. Its a 3 bed detatched and the rent would be about €1100/month. How much tax do I/we have to pay? how do we pay it? etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

Hey there

It depends what your expenses are. You are allowed to claim 75% of your mortgage interest as an expense and anything like repairs and maintenance, insurance, letting fees etc are 100% allowable. You can also claim capital allowances on anything like furniture etc in the house (i.e. fixtures and fittings).

If you have a profit after this it will be taxable.

It depends on your other earnings. If you are single and your salary is over €36,400 any income after this is taxable at 41%. You will also be liable for income levy and prsi. Any income below €36,400 is taxable at 20% so it depends on your other earnings really.

You will need to do a return to the Revenue at the end of the tax year. For income earned in 2010 the return will have to be submitted by 31st October 2011. Check out revenue.ie for more info.

Hope this was of help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hoddlestone

Thanks for the info ams. I was talking to someone about this and something else I didnt take into account is that I loose my mortgage relief at source and need to upgrade my house insurance. Anything else I'm missing? seems like Irwin R does'nt want me to rent it.

You wont get the mortgage relief at source but you will be entitled to claim 75% of the interest against the rent which is better for you (i.e. get 75% relief instead of 22.5% or whatever rate of TRS you get).

You will need to register the tenancy with the PRTB and possibly pay the NPPR charge of €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

ams wrote: »
    You wont get the mortgage relief at source but you will be entitled to claim 75% of the interest against the rent which is better for you (i.e. get 75% relief instead of 22.5% or whatever rate of TRS you get).

You will need to register the tenancy with the PRTB and possibly pay the NPPR charge of €200.

Sorry about this but is there any chance you could give an example.Lets say you make 40k + 10k for letting.You have a mortgage of 200k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

ams wrote: »

or just rent rooms and keep a room for yourself like the attic :)

• Advertisement

Fol20 wrote: »
    Sorry about this but is there any chance you could give an example.Lets say you make 40k + 10k for letting.You have a mortgage of 200k

letting income 10,000

expenses
    PRTB 70
    Repairs 400
    Insurance 300
    Mgt fee 1,000
    Interest 6,000 (say this is 75% of total interest paid in yr)

You are taxed on the net income which is 10k - 7.7k = 2,230 taxed at 20% or 41% depending on your tax band.

Advertisement