Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newest addition to your collection?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 8:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

I like most people on this board, am always looking for new music and new bands to get into. sometimes they can be bands that are really old and I just haven't got into before, sometimes theyre brand new unknown underground acts either way everyweek i try to find a couple of new bands that deserve a place in my collection.

I thought here we could post the latest things we've discovered or are new to us. sort of a recommending thread but a little different.

So this weeks 3 bands/albums I've discovered.

Sights & Sounds
    - http://www.myspace.com/sightsandsounds.

Sights & Sounds is vocalist/guitarist Andrew Neufeld, drummer Joel Neufeld, bassist Matt Howes, and guitarist Adrian Mottram. Featuring members of notable bands such as Comeback Kid and Sick City.

I don't listen to any either of those bands mentioned, I just found S&S by accident really on a youtube link.

For Fans of : Emarosa, Jimmy eat world, Alexisonfire, Sound of animals fighting.

next:

Dead to the World
    - http://www.myspace.com/dttwatl

Found them by acccident also, was searching for an album with the same title bu found this band, and theyre pretty damn good.

For Fans of : All Shall Perish, Parkway Drive, Various Deathcore/Metalcore.

Nothingface - http://www.myspace.com/nothingface1

I remember hearing this band briefly years ago but never paid attention, Recently got into them properly, amazing nu-metal styled stuff.

For Fans of : 36crazyfists, Slipknot, Mudvayne, SOAD, Dry Kill Logic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

No great amounts of descriptions for them, but a few albums (some well known) that I've discovered recently:

Morphine - Cure for Pain:
    It's an 'ok' album, some really good (imo) songs on it.

Johnny Cash - American IV:
    Heard the first song on this album when rewatching the 'Generation Kill' TV series (very last song of series); very good album.

Nine Inch Nails:
    The Downward Spiral
    Year Zero
    Probably well known on this forum, but I discovered NIN recently and am really enjoying these two albums; some of the more unique/unusual sounding rock music I've heard (even though it's not exactly rock), and all very good (albeit with the odd unintentionally cringe-inducing but funny lyrics :))

Dan Hicks - Where's the Money:
    Doesn't really fit into a rock forum, but discovered this recently and while it's not the type of music I usually listen to, it's a really nice album imo; good for relaxing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I'd recommend "The Fragile" by NIN also.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

I just went and downloaded all the rammestein albums up until 06 cos Iv somehow never been bothered doing it.. loving them, as I expected I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,806 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Skindred's album..whichever one has "Nothing" on it.

also a fack load of dodgey 90's tunes that have no place in the rawk/metal forum!:D
    (2Unlimited anyone?...didn't think so..!)

papagormo wrote: »
    Skindred's album..whichever one has "Nothing" on it.

also a fack load of dodgey 90's tunes that have no place in the rawk/metal forum!:D
    (2Unlimited anyone?...didn't think so..!)

hah cant beat a bit of 90's dance, love rhythm is a dancer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

This crowd are relatively new;
    Sacred Mother Tongue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUUpLBQmQYM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Good idea for a thread. The last two albums I got were the following:
    Lueurs by Kells. French female-fronted metal band, reminiscent of Lacuna Coil but without the male vocals messing things up. One of my favourite songs on the album, La Sphère, features Candice from Eths (another French metal band) sharing the vocal duties. The French lyrics might irritate someone trying to sing along but that's their loss!

Truth or Dare by Automatic Loveletter. This is an American soft-rock band. The music itself is fairly average but the vocals from singer Juliet Simms are just fabulous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I saw Kells live in Montpellier in 2008 and will be seeing them in Oslo in a few weeks. They are excellent live and nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Volbeat

Saw them supporting AC/DC in Berlin recently and they have a new album due shortly. Also playing in Dublin before the end of the year, tickets are ridiculously cheap, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I think this is a very good idea for a thread!

It is exam time so naturally I am finding out many new bands :P

hmmmmm bands I've discovered this week! A good chunk of death metal I think!

Ulcerate: Very atmospheric and weird technical death metal, hard to grasp at first but extremely rewarding! One of the more innovative bands I have come across these days. For fans of Gorguts especially (if you've heard them?) and fans of technical death metal in general!

The Monolith Deathcult: A really cool death metal cocktail! Fairly undiscovered band. Straightup kickass brutal death metal with electronic/experimental elements with a very epic feel! (I've read somewhere that they're kind of like Nile except with Roman feel instead of Egyptian) for Fans of Nile and ANY type of death metal.

Gorod: Very guitar noodling ridiculously technical death metal! But the songwriting is fantastic also! Its just really fun basically! Some great melodies and just unreal musicianship in general. For fans of Decrepit Birth, Necrophagist and again technical death metal.

As you can see I very much like death metal :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

mp3guy wrote: »

this is a music recommendation thread for bands/albums people have newly discovered, not a simple "last album you bought thread".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

this is a music recommendation thread for bands/albums people have newly discovered, not a simple "last album you bought thread".

If you read through it you'll notice people did the same thing.

mp3guy wrote: »
    If you read through it you'll notice people did the same thing.

I stand corrected! although this thread seems to be going on a path of a bit more detail and less post-whoring. also the moderator who locked that isn't a mod here anymore I dont think?

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

blastman wrote: »
    Volbeat

Saw them supporting AC/DC in Berlin recently and they have a new album due shortly. Also playing in Dublin before the end of the year, tickets are ridiculously cheap, too!

Beat me to it - what bits I have heard sounds great so far and will toddle along to the gig. Like blastman says it is really cheap - €13.50 IIRC

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Harrocks

1 band i had heard nothing of i found in a bootsale Candlemass
    the self titled album its fantastic heavy doom riffs and a gem for 2euro still
    in its wrapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Leng Tch'e. Belgian (I think) grindcore band, I got their album Marasmus. Just blisteringly good.

Saw Dying Fetus and Devin Townsend live recently, and having not heard them much before, I was hugely impressed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Undergod wrote: »
    Leng Tch'e. Belgian (I think) grindcore band, I got their album Marasmus. Just blisteringly good.

Saw Dying Fetus and Devin Townsend live recently, and having not heard them much before, I was hugely impressed.

Heard of Leng Tch'e a while back, after they did a split album with F*ck the Facts, thought they were a pretty strong band alright.

And I love Dying Fetus, think the new album is pretty damn good. When did you see them, and where?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

On a bit of a doom kick at the momentan and have discovered Sleep and Shrinebuilder, so picked up Sleep's Holy Mountain and Shrinebuilder's self titled.

The Sleep video tells you all you need to know about the sound of the album, it's fussy riffs, free flowing bass and drums. They are kinda like a 90's version of Black Sabbath. Brillant!

Shrinebuilder are a doom metal supergroup featuring Wino, Al Cisneros, Scoot Kelly and Dale Cover. Pretty cool stuff, but really need more time for the songs to sink in properly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Denny M wrote: »
    Heard of Leng Tch'e a while back, after they did a split album with F*ck the Facts, thought they were a pretty strong band alright.

And I love Dying Fetus, think the new album is pretty damn good. When did you see them, and where?

Brutal Assualt festival in the Czech Republic. I got Killing on Adrenaline (very solid album) and War of Attrition, which I haven't managed to put on yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Undergod wrote: »
    Brutal Assualt festival in the Czech Republic. I got Killing on Adrenaline (very solid album) and War of Attrition, which I haven't managed to put on yet.
    Try to get a listen to the latest one too, Descend into Depravity, on of my favorite albums of 2009.

Nightwish wrote: »
    I saw Kells live in Montpellier in 2008 and will be seeing them in Oslo in a few weeks. They are excellent live and nice people.
    Any idea how or why they settled on the name Kells? Do they have a thing about Meath or something? ;)

this thread seems to be going on a path of a bit more detail and less post-whoring. also the moderator who locked that isn't a mod here anymore I dont think?
    If this thread does go down the post-whoring route then it'll be locked as well, I'd hope that people will keep up the decent quality of posts we've had so far.

Also you can always check who moderates a forum by going to the thread list for the forum and looking in the bottom right under Moderators. For Rock & Metal the moderator is little old me.

And to get back on-topic, a band I'm sure at least some of you must be familiar with - Swiss metallers Eluveitie. I got their most recent album Everything Remains As It Never Was months ago but only got around to listening to it recently. Many people I introduce to this band hear the folk influences and immediately turn away. Their loss I reckon. This album feels a lot more polished than Slania and the song arrangements are a little more complex with more vocal harmonies and often quite a few different instruments playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice of Steel
    Definitely the best symphonic black metal I've heard since both Enthrone Darkness Triumphant' and Spiritual Black Dimensions'. It really blows away all the other contempary bm bands as well. I'm sure It will still crush the new Dimmu Borgir album when that comes out. Definitely a 10/10 album for me.

Magnum
    - On a Storyteller's Night
    I only discovered this band fairly recently, and this was the first album I heard from this band. Unfortunately it's a very underated album too. There are loads of class songs on it.

Darkthrone - Darkthrones And Black Flags
    I'd pretty much given up on Darkthone's latter albums, but I was really supriesed by this album. It's not really true black metal anymore, apart from the vocals. There are no blast beats, just heavy metal/thrash metal drumming and some fast style drumming as well. The guitar riffs and solos are really class. Nocturno Culto even does some clean singing, which is quite refreshing.

Mystic Cirlce - The Great Beast
    I really loved Mystic Circle's last album, even though it was quite cheesey at times, but still damn enjoyable. I heard this album was a let down, but I wanted to hear it for myself, and I really really enjoyed it. So I decided to order it from amazon, and much to my suprise it came in a digipac format. This digipac version has a great cover of Bathory's 'One Rode to Asa Bay' on it.

Hawkwind - Levitation
    I'd been familiar with this album for quite a long time, so when I was on holidays in England, I came across a small shop that had a great metal section and rock section. Along with Amorphis, Darkthrone, The Cure and Black Sabbath this was one of the albums I bought, and again to my suprise it was in a limited edition box with lots of extra stuff. It's a class album indeed.

Amorphis - Skyforger
    This was another album I picked up in that shop, and it was also on a digipac. I had very very high hopes when I heard the excellent 'Silent Waters' album back in 2007, so I was really hoping the next album would be as good. Thankfully it is just as great as the aformentioned album, and some parts are even better. The great thing about this album is that it starts off with the outstanding 'Sampo' and ends with 'From The Earth I Rose', that ends the album on a very high note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

Apostasy - Devilution: One of the best albums I've ever bought, some of the songs are a bit samey, but the vocals are top-notch, and the guitarist is pretty good.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODAAl_ZXf8&feature=related

Nargaroth - Jahreszeiten: Another great album, unless you're really into Black Metal you'll hate it; standard Kanwulf stuff, not much to say about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KEhWs9kBhw&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

Depending what you're into you might be into one of these bands/artists.

Shpongle (psychadelic/electronica)
    Cloudkicker (Instrumental metal) - can be downloaded for free at http://cloudkicker.bandcamp.com/
    Abramelin (death metal)
    Bloodbath (death metal)

Love Cloudkicker, Recently got into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭LukeQuietus

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Love Cloudkicker, Recently got into him.

Yeah he rocks. Plus his attitude about it all is cool. He just likes making music. Pity more artists aren't like that.

• Advertisement

Just got into

No Sense Made - http://www.myspace.com/nomadesense

Someone posted about them here, They're along the lines of Tool/ Mastodon/ Isis. Proggy Stuff. Very good.

The Receiving End of Sirens - http://www.myspace.com/thereceivingendofsirens

Just found these chaps, Dunno how to describe them. Epic in everyway, every song could be a soundtrack to the end of the world. There are 3 vocalists, 3 guitarists, lots of samples, very big sounds.

Along the lines of Sights & Sounds, Emarosa, Alexisonfire, Jimmyeatworld, Postal Service.

Advertisement