Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting up mobile catering van/business

Options
  • 18-08-2010 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i'm looking for some advice about starting up my own chipper/burger van business. I know the basics like registering the business with the revenue and taxes etc but am pretty lost when it comes to steps 1-10 :o. Where do i start ? Who do i contact with regards to finding a location (this will be a side of the rd job, not town !!)? I am currently unemployed so who should i talk to re setting up my own business etc? I have purchased the van and all the equipment which is all hse approved !! I'm sorry about all the questions and some may sound pretty silly but i am starting from scratch hence my naeivity. Any help or advice would be much appreciated:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

As I said in a recent post like this its not as easy as that. Ya should try search on here because there is quite a bit of info. I have just gone into this business but I come from a family of caterers and have experience in running a bakery, this is not essential but makes it easier

First of all before you can do anything you have to regiester with the HSE. They will inspect the first time, then they will come out on your first gig. I have done two public gigs in last 2 weeks and both times had a visit from the EHO.

Regards location, you cannot just set up on the side of the road, its against all bye laws and you could find youself in trouble if you think your going to make money that way. Apply to the councils for event trading licences, contact bars, night clubs etc. It is hard to get work out there. We are lucky enough to be on our 3rd this month by next Saturday but thats after lot of emails, phone calls and meetings

Also have you bought stock?Have you insurance for product and public? what exactly will you be selling? Drop me a pm if you want more info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Sorry folks i should have been a bit clearer with my first post.
    I am not naieve or silly enough to think that i can just hook up my chip van, park it on the side of any rd and start selling !
    I have purchased the chipper van after doing my homework e.g profit and loss, suppliers already sourced, opening hours etc etc. I'm not expecting to start trading until everything is A1. I am not interested in gigs, events, clubs and so on, this will initially be a 8/9 hour a day 6 days a week venture. Although i'm not particularly up to date with how the HSE/HFO operate i want and will have to become more knowledgable in this area.
    I am not looking for any financial advise folks as i have all my homework done, really what i'm looking for is the basic advice e.g Where do i start?, who do i contact initially to get the ball rolling ? With regards to location i have a few places in mind and please be aware that i have spotted traders on the side of many a rd legally so i know it can be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jagabouni

hi
    i think you should apply for casual trading licence
    name & location of the van + application + fee + cro name+ tax of the busniess if you think you need vat number thats if you think the buniess makes more then 35 k/y all this stuff to the proper county council

i hope they agreed by now / please let me know

the next step after getting the licence you need the van to be hse approved, haacp training, insurance liabilty try fbd good prices

please let me know how far did you get , i am doing the same thing, i am @ the waiting stage thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Querious

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/registration/index.html#reg2

according to the above link i think you dont have to register for VAT unless you expect to make up to €75k.
    Regardless of the amount though, assuming you will need to register at some point, i would think you should register for VAT as soon as possible as by doing so you can claim back the VAT you are paying at the early stages for all your equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nom-IzZ

Querious wrote: »

according to the above link i think you dont have to register for VAT unless you expect to make up to €75k.
    Regardless of the amount though, assuming you will need to register at some point, i would think you should register for VAT as soon as possible as by doing so you can claim back the VAT you are paying at the early stages for all your equipment.

yea but if you register vat or claim vat are you not obliged to charge vat also if not absorbing it yourself? input credits in this business would be little or nothing has there is no vat on food purchases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

Querious wrote: »

Pretty sure €35k is the threshold for registration, as I think a catering business/restaurant is regarded as a service from Revenue's perspective. See link to Revenue for more:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/place-of-supply-of-services.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Querious

remember that when we are talking about VAT threshold, we are talking about the total revenue and not the profit.
    Been realistic i dont think it matters if the threshold for food service is €35k or €75k as in order to survive in this kind of business you will need to exceed it either way, assuming it is a full time job.
    So the point i was trying to make is that you're better off register from the start so you at least are able to claim back some of the VAT you will pay at the beginning, which tends to be high enough because of all the start up expenses.
    Obviously this is a decision each one has to make for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aili11

Ricardo G wrote: »
    Hi guys i'm looking for some advice about starting up my own chipper/burger van business. I know the basics like registering the business with the revenue and taxes etc but am pretty lost when it comes to steps 1-10 :o. Where do i start ? Who do i contact with regards to finding a location (this will be a side of the rd job, not town !!)? I am currently unemployed so who should i talk to re setting up my own business etc? I have purchased the van and all the equipment which is all hse approved !! I'm sorry about all the questions and some may sound pretty silly but i am starting from scratch hence my naeivity. Any help or advice would be much appreciated:)

Hi Richardo,

I am wondering how did it go with your chipper/burger van business. I am thinking of doing something similar around coffee and sandwiches. Maybe I could get some help or advise from you.
    Many Thanks

Aili.

Advertisement