Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn/Winter plants for hanging baskets?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a pretty small courtyard so I use the wall space with troughs and hanging baskets. It's lovely in the spring and summer but naturally fairly lacking in the winter months. Does anyone know any suitable plants that would grow in the winter months. I'm not after colour just a bit of greenary:)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

posibly trailing variagated ivy and evergreen ferns , perfect for winter and shady areas all year and stick in a few winter pansies too:)

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

Thanks for that:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

'universal' pansies will see you through into spring. Maybe a few snow drop bulbs would be nice too for the new year. You can sow pansy seeds now for the winter containers. This site is great ...
    http://stores.ebay.ie/Seedaholic

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

Thanks,

That is a great site. I'd never come across it before:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Lads, The hanging baskets I'm using at the moment don't hold much water so the summer plants are dying a death, any recommendations for winter plants that would require little water but look pretty decent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

I put the miracle gro compost in my baskets every year. Holds the moisture really.

I water pretty much every day during the Summer but there has been times when they didn't get watered for maybe 3-4 days and held up no problems.

During Winter a weekly watering is usually enough but maybe twice a week if windy. Last December I don't think I watered at all as the roots can freeze and kill off the plant.

Winter baskets can include primroses and pansies for flowers with some bulk / foliage from permanent plants like a dwarf conifer as a centre piece, trailing ivy, pansies, primroses. A bergenia is lovely with its red autum foliage and red Spring flowers.

Also add in some spring bulbs such as dwarf narcissi, crocus or iris.

I was thinking of adding in ajuga this year but it might take over the baskets.

I much prefer Winter to Summer baskets. They last longer and give richer colours with the different shades of green and yellows/browns, mixed with flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks a lot for all the info. Think I might get bigger baskets and start planting these, maybe swap the other ones out then when I'm ready. So very new to this sorry, when do I start this planting and do you recommend this site for all of it? http://stores.ebay.ie/Seedaholic

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭The Garden Shop

MardiB wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I have a pretty small courtyard so I use the wall space with troughs and hanging baskets. It's lovely in the spring and summer but naturally fairly lacking in the winter months. Does anyone know any suitable plants that would grow in the winter months. I'm not after colour just a bit of greenary:)

Cheers
    cyclamen are great for winter baskets or containers. They can come in striking colours, but if you are after green, the white cyclamen are very subtle but with great foliage. best of luck

Advertisement