Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC World Waterford

Options
  • 18-08-2010 9:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Bought a laptop from them 3 years ago and took out an insurance plan which cost an additional €400. The laptop isnt performing the way it should - keeps disconnecting from the internet, left mouse button is broken, battery lasts 10 mins, card reader is broken. I've brought it down to them time after time and keep getting fobbed off and bombarded with technical information.
    Has anyone else had an experience like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭jimbojazz

You, ,me, my son, daughter and many others.

I bought one a few years ago - had the exact same problems you have- they eventually replaced it after sending it back time after time to be fixed - and guess what - yip - same again with the new one.

Unbelievably poor customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xxtigsxx

i just bought a new laptop today from Soundstore. excellent customer service but still going to follow things up with PC World. Rang the National Consumer Agency and the Citizens Information Bureau who both said Small Claims Court is the way to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

yeah pc world are the worst.

I bought my 1st ever PC there with 3 years insurance.

Its broke after 2 and when I went though I wasn't on the system for having insurance :rolleyes:

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

If you need assistance getting your laptop repaired I can try help. Its often good to have someone who has IT Experience assisting those who have no clue whats being said to them.

Part of my business does IT repairs, upgrades, building etc. so I often help people out when it comes to getting it repaired from businesses like PC World. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

I will say there is one chap there that knows his stuff. Hes got long hair.. Think his name is Ger

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭magick

hahaha Gers a friend of mine and I will say he does know his stuff, hes been doing tech support stuff for a long time, good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭red_diesel

xxtigsxx wrote: »
    Bought a laptop from them 3 years ago and took out an insurance plan which cost an additional €400. The laptop isnt performing the way it should - keeps disconnecting from the internet, left mouse button is broken, battery lasts 10 mins, card reader is broken. I've brought it down to them time after time and keep getting fobbed off and bombarded with technical information.
    Has anyone else had an experience like this?
    Normally a laptop will come with a 12 month parts warranty. Is the extra €400 an upgrade to the 12 month warranty? Battery's are not covered under warranty as the usually only have a lifespan of 12 months or so.
    What exactly are they saying to you? Are they telling you the machine needs to be wiped and everything reinstalled? Just because the left mouse button or card reader will not work for you does not mean it is broken, it could be that the operating system is messed up, as often happens with continuous Internet use. The extra warranty you bought most likely does not cover OS, anti-virus, spyware issues.
    My advise would be to bring it down to them again, get them to list what the issues are and the steps to resolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭julias_jewel

dazftw wrote: »
    yeah pc world are the worst.

I bought my 1st ever PC there with 3 years insurance.

Its broke after 2 and when I went though I wasn't on the system for having insurance :rolleyes:

happened to me as well, its ridiculous...

have all my family and friends boycotting the place !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

xxtigsxx wrote: »
    Bought a laptop from them 3 years ago and took out an insurance plan which cost an additional €400.

ah come on now....surely you meant €40 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

danjo-xx wrote: »
    ah come on now....surely you meant €40 :)

It all depends on the price of the laptop and how long you want the extra cover for.

I bought an 1800 euro laptop before and paid 300 for the cover. 1 of the 3 mistakes i made when getting that laptop :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Boooourns

If your laptop does breakdown then isn't it covered under your house insurance anyway?
    To me there's no need to take out thier ripoff insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Not for parts I'd imagine,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Stokolan wrote: »
    It all depends on the price of the laptop and how long you want the extra cover for.

I bought an 1800 euro laptop before and paid 300 for the cover. 1 of the 3 mistakes i made when getting that laptop :P

That was a sixth of the price just for insurance:eek:

What were the other 2 mistakes you made... I don't mean to rub it in.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 JD89

Bought my Laptop ouf of Pc World in 08 had no problems until Jan 10 glad i spent the 200$ on the 3 year plan tho otherwise would not have bein covered

Since then i have sent it back 4 Times with faults and its still not 100% fixed soo glad i built my own DT rig

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭munster_mafia

That policy covers accidental damage also. Smash it up, make sure it cant be fixed and get a new one.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moving this over to Consumer Issues forums as its not really Waterford specific (and probably never really was to begin with! :))

Thanks.

Topic Moved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭eimearcmh

I purchased my first labtop here about 2yrs n 9 mths ago. I got a 3yr insurance plan at an extra cost of €267. The labtop cost €1000ish.

I had some problems about 6mths ago. The screen and a button needed to be repaired. A courier collected d labtop 2weeks after i rang them. They repaired it but i didnt get the labtop back for another 4 weeks. So 6 weeks without it!! For what i paid i would have hoped that it would be back sooner.

Personally i think the customer service could be better, especially as i/we are paying for the service. I spoke to 2 different people over the phone during this time and both sounded like they couldnt care less about my problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

That policy covers accidental damage also. Smash it up, make sure it cant be fixed and get a new one.

So insurance fraud is your solution then? Nice, very responsible.

Extended warranties are a waste of money, and completely unnecessary. You are paying for something that you already have by law. The only thing it brings is the accidental coverage, which they can easily get out of by saying it wasn't accidental. Don't waste your money on these useless things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

danjo-xx wrote: »
    What were the other 2 mistakes you made... I don't mean to rub it in.:D

I'd imagine the biggest was buying something more complex than printer paper in PC world.

Advertisement