Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Talks Back... what a laugh.

Options
  • 18-08-2010 9:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

This is actually funny to listen to.

At first I dismissed it as stupid young people ringing up, but it's actually kind of hilarious in a perverse kind of way.

A girl is on saying that a guy should have to pay for everything in a relationship and "do everything" because "they're always talking about how they're the strong ones". Oh lorrddd. :rolleyes:

She is with a guy now that she's been with for almost six months and he just asked her what his job is and she doesn't even know!!!! lol. :P She's been with him for six months... she said "it's none of my business".... I swear to god this was not a pisstake.

It's a bit like Jerry Springer, except the people ringing up are even more immature.

Yeah I know, I'm probably a loser for even listening to it.... like I say I thought it was so stupid at first, and I still do, it's just I now see the humour.

I have to admit, I like listening to the voices of a lot of the young ones as well, who cares what they're saying. ;) :cool: yes I know I'm really sad, whatever. :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Haven't listened to that show since around the time Charlie Wolfe
    had his meltdown with the girl who didn't know what copacetic meant

You'd see him the odd time these days on Sky News as one the morning paper reviewers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Haven't listened to that show since around the time Charlie Wolfe
    had his meltdown with the girl who didn't know what copacetic meant

You'd see him the odd time these days on Sky News as one the morning paper reviewers

lol, what happened there? Sounds funny, plz tell us the story.

I'll be looking up what a copacetic is. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Been so long ago now I can bearly remember.

I think she was a journalist, all I can remember is them having a heated debate,
    he asked her something like "was everthing copacetic?"

she didn't know what it meant and he just kept going on about it, kept saying the word,
    discrediting her education and belittling her because she didn't know what the word meant

In short he came out looking like a complete prat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I cant stand the whole station. Annoys the sh!te out of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Cork Talks Back callers who start a topic are plants. That is a fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

Can be funny alright, heard it the other night and they were talking about how the "metro-sexual" man is gone out and the "real-man" is back in :pac:

This one was on saying she likes a bita hair popping out the shirt but if he had a hairy back she'd be like "c'mere you'd wana go to the salon there bhoi, cos NOWAN is going go near ya"..."well maybe if it was dark it wouldn't be too bad"!

Good stuff :p

Victor Barry is an awful knob to listen to, a wannabe Neil Prendiville.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Bodhidharma

They were talking one night about road deaths in Ireland, and the amount of provisional license holders. This pure young fella rings up and starts going on about 'stupid' drivers and all the stupid things they do. The host goes 'do you have a full license yourself?'. The young fella replies 'I dont, but i'm a good driver, i'm not thick like most people on the road'.

Typical ignorant answer from some dope who's causing an increase in my insurance.

The host goes 'do you have a full license yourself?'. The young fella replies 'I dont, but i'm a good driver, i'm not thick like most people on the road'.

Is that the young dude who had a 2008 Focus he inherited and the folks were paying his insurance ?

They were talking one night about road deaths in Ireland, and the amount of provisional license holders. This pure young fella rings up and starts going on about 'stupid' drivers and all the stupid things they do. The host goes 'do you have a full license yourself?'. The young fella replies 'I dont, but i'm a good driver, i'm not thick like most people on the road'.

Typical ignorant answer from some dope who's causing an increase in my insurance.

Why do you think that's an ignorant answer? Just because he's on a provisional doesn't mean he can't notice the amount of stupid drivers on the road (and god knows there's a lot!), for all you know he could well be a future driving instructor :)
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Victor Barry is an awful knob to listen to, a wannabe Neil Prendiville.
    he can be alright.
    Another thing I heard the other nite Vic said something about Robin Williams and your one goes I dunno who he is! Even the presenter said good god I'm going home!

• Advertisement

babo9 wrote: »
    Another thing I heard the other nite Vic said something about Robin Williams and your one goes I dunno who he is! Even the presenter said good god I'm going home!

Well to be fair that just shows a lack of interest in movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In fairness, some people are plain retarded, and alot of them seem to be drawn to attention. I know a girl who like the girl in the OP believed that, but also had a large list of "rules" that must be obeyed to stay with her.

She gave the list to 2 of my buddies when they took her on dates. They involved such tripe as "You will text back within 10 mins no matter what" and "you will take me to dinner in a nice restaurant at least once a week" Bear in mind, neither of them had had sex with her at this stage!

In short, some people are fcuking nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭nuts86

I wouldn't believe half the stuff that people say on that show, a friend of mine knew the old producer and whenever they were stuck for people to go on they would call her and ask her to go on and just talk bout whatever the topic was, i heard her on it one night talking bout how her ex boyfriends friends split them up because they totally ignored her and never made her welcome... just a completely made up story...

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭clancy wiggum

+1 to what nuts 86 said. I know a girl who regularly gets topics started by posing as some young wan on about complete ****e. Vic is a complete tool...

In fairness, some people are plain retarded, and alot of them seem to be drawn to attention. I know a girl who like the girl in the OP believed that, but also had a large list of "rules" that must be obeyed to stay with her.

She gave the list to 2 of my buddies when they took her on dates. They involved such tripe as "You will text back within 10 mins no matter what" and "you will take me to dinner in a nice restaurant at least once a week" Bear in mind, neither of them had had sex with her at this stage!

In short, some people are fcuking nuts!

Is she anyway good looking that some fellas mite let her get away with that shyte!?
    If some girl handed me a list like that I'd tell her where to go, hope your buddies did too! Or maybe I'd take the list and do the exact opposite for a week of laughs :D

nuts86 wrote: »
    I wouldn't believe half the stuff that people say on that show, a friend of mine knew the old producer and whenever they were stuck for people to go on they would call her and ask her to go on and just talk bout whatever the topic was, i heard her on it one night talking bout how her ex boyfriends friends split them up because they totally ignored her and never made her welcome... just a completely made up story...

There's a truck driver from Dublin that seems to be on twice a week or so, he can't be interested in every fecking chat they have, often thought bits of it were staged.

Is she anyway good looking that some fellas mite let her get away with that shyte!?

Take the list, stick to it till she spreads then never text the silly tramp again :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

There's a truck driver from Dublin that seems to be on twice a week or so, he can't be interested in every fecking chat they have, often thought bits of it were staged.

All call-in shows have a list of regular contributors that the researchers call on if things are quiet, or to set up a topic.

"John from Cork" is a frequent caller with Neil Prendeville and Liveline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

You missed a doozy with the young (and I mean young) teenage mums one a few weeks ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Does Tom the biker from Newcastle West still ring up the show? Worked with him a few years ago, a sound guy but doesn't half talk ****e. I think the show went downhill after Charlie Wolf left, he was really engaging and could get involved in some really heated debates, unlike Victor Barry who prefers to stay neutral most of the time. One thing that really irked me when Victor began presenting the show, for about a year he tried to copy Charlie's American twang :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

They used to phone me on a regular basis at work during the day to know if they could phone me to go on the show later that night and discuss topics.

They used to phone me on a regular basis at work during the day to know if they could phone me to go on the show later that night and discuss topics.

Not the greatest distinction ever :P but still well done, you must be a good speaker for them to continually ask.

You should have asked them to pay you, they're so dumb they actually might. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I sent in a text comment to Neil Prendiville's show this morning. They rang me back at the end asking me if i'd come on tomorrow morning to talk about the topic at hand - to which i agreed. Its good to know that some radio stations take a genuine interest in what their listeners have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

grenache wrote: »
    I sent in a text comment to Neil Prendiville's show this morning. They rang me back at the end asking me if i'd come on tomorrow morning to talk about the topic at hand - to which i agreed. Its good to know that some radio stations take a genuine interest in what their listeners have to say.

I have got countless phonecalls from them. Used to listen regularly to that show and text in my thoughts on the subject accordingly - they would inevitably ring back. Must be short on intelligent comments ;):p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I have two friends who regularly ring the show.
    One will ring up first about a topic, the other will ring a few minutes later and disagree with it, then banter will occur.
    It's been going on for a good few months, suprised that Vic Barry hasn't copped on to it yet.

suprised that Vic Barry hasn't copped on to it yet.

He doesn't seem overly bright from his views on most topics, he comes across as if he had led an awfully sheltered life, seems to have no clue whatsoever what actually goes on in the city. He could do with wandering around the city at night for a week or so instead of talking sh1te on air.

He doesn't seem overly bright from his views on most topics, he comes across as if he had led an awfully sheltered life, seems to have no clue whatsoever what actually goes on in the city. He could do with wandering around the city at night for a week or so instead of talking sh1te on air.

Yeah, I hate the way he starts harping "racist" at people who question whether we should really be giving handouts to half of eastern europe and saying things like: "surely this is progress is it not?" to it, same with anything like gay marriage, trying to get the angelus shut off in case it might offend muslims etc.

He's a thicko alright, I wouldn't deny that at all... and I think it'd be hard to find people that would. ;) :pac: I wonder if he realizes many of the calls are less-than-genuine or he really believes it all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

A girl is on saying that a guy should have to pay for everything in a relationship and "do everything" :rolleyes:

I have the distinct misfortune to have heard this broadcast. I had to change channels actually, it became so unbearable.

Yeah, I hate the way he starts harping "racist" at people who question whether we should really be giving handouts to half of eastern europe and saying things like: "surely this is progress is it not?" to it, same with anything like gay marriage, trying to get the angelus shut off in case it might offend muslims etc.

He's a thicko alright, I wouldn't deny that at all... and I think it'd be hard to find people that would. ;) :pac: I wonder if he realizes many of the calls are less-than-genuine or he really believes it all.

Haha, come to think of it any time I've heard him he's very fond of that saying "is it not" or "is that not the case"!

• Advertisement

Haha, come to think of it any time I've heard him he's very fond of that saying "is it not" or "is that not the case"!

yeah, he seems to think it persuasive to ask people if he's wrong or dare them to say it, some sort of reverse psychology deal going on. :rolleyes:

Advertisement