Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More newbie questions

Options
  • 18-08-2010 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

Sorry if this has been covered else where. I have had a look around but didnt find an answer.
    So a friend of mine has a .22 rifle and another has a shotgun. The have a safe, licence ect. Do I need a licence to shoot with them? Can I get a lience so i could use them on my own? I would not be storing them in my house at all, just picking them up, using them and droping them back.
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

you can apply to be added to there licence afaik, not sure about cost etc someone here will know though

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

thanks for quick reply. The reason i am asking is that i will not be able to afford the start up cost atm. if i could just buy ammo and the fees for a range for a bit of target shooting i could possible do it. I was reading up on the "traing firearms cert" but not making alot of sense to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

How old are you? If over 16 you can get licenced on the firearm afaik.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

MRTULES wrote: »
    Do I need a licence to shoot with them?

Yes.
    Can I get a lience so i could use them on my own?

Yes. As mentioned a training cert or if you are over 16 a full licence can be gotten. The form you are looking for is an FCA1. You fill it all out and in section 4.1 (Certificate Details) there is a section to fill in the licence number of the original license holder. You insert your friends license number here, submit the application to your local Garda station, wait and if approved you are licenced on his firearm.

If you are a novice, as in have never held a firearms license or a license for that particular type of firearm, then a competency course will be required. Details of such courses can be gotten from the MNSCI website and NARGC website.
    I would not be storing them in my house at all, just picking them up, using them and droping them back.

You may also need a letter from your friend to state you have his permission to license his firearm and also that the firearm will remain stored at his premises when not in use by you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Great stuff. I will look into this first thing in the morning. from what i have read it may be worth while going down to talk to garda 1st. see how it sits with him ect.. let him know im not some nut:D.

• Advertisement
Advertisement