Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom/DSL Droping

• 18-08-2010 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Just trying to find out how big a problem this is country wide?

Won't bore you with to many details but the last month has been a nightmare and I do mean a nightmare.

Portlaois is my B-RAS btw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My eircom connection has been terrible the last two months as well, it was fine for 4+ years, NGB ruined it. Switching ISP soon.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Just trying to find out how big a problem this is country wide?

Won't bore you with to many details but the last month has been a nightmare and I do mean a nightmare.

Portlaois is my B-RAS btw.

What are your line stats and has your speed being upgraded recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Been on 7.6 for the last 3yrs but syncs at 6/6.5 which I was more that happy with. Always had enough of a S/N margin to hold at that speed and attenuation was always low 40's

A month ago I spotted 5 Eircom vans doing work on the outside of town where all cables go under ground and thought exchange is been upgraded to NGB which according to there web site it hasn't yet.

That very day (Coincidence, Perhaps) I started dropping connection every couple of minutes for about a minute, S/N margin stays good, speed stays good but attenuation goes to low 50's.

Tried all the usual but kind of knew that such a rise in attenuation was more than likely due to a fault on the line. Rang Eircom, went through all the usual and it was decided a tech would come out and have a look.

A very helpful guy came out checked everything, replaced exciting socket with a filter socket, line from house to pole was replaced and still no improvement.

Called Eircom and told them the story and they changed my profile 5 times and still no improvement. They then did a line check and said there was a major fault on my line and that it would be sorted.

Five days later I called back and was told there was still a fault on the line and that I was a priority case. Called back 3 days later and was told I was still a priority case and problem would be soon fixed.

Called back 2 days later and was told problem was fixed and my DSL was working fine and they could see no problem there end, needles to say I didn't take that news very well and profile was changed again???

Was away for a week and problem is still there, called Eircom with my Ref# and was told case closed problem solved and because I hadn't called back in time I'd have to open a new complaint with a new Ref#

At this stage attenuation has dropped to high 40's but still dropping erratically as ever and I'm back to square one with tech support and there sending a tech out to start all over again.

In fairness when it worked it worked and anything else i.e DNS, last years upgrade etc were issues I just dealt with and never bothered with tech support but jesus christ what a ****ing waste of time.

Current stats

Speed: 4096 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 53 dB /28 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 19 dB /12 dB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭RareVintage

I've had frequent, almost daily, interruptions of my Eircom internet connection over the last couple of months. Most often this was late at night and for short periods.
    Eventually I got tired of continually clicking "Restart Connection" on the router page and phoned up when it had been down for most of an afternoon. They wouldn't admit or didn't know that there was a fault. They even sent an engineer to my house - "must be a problem with your exchange" (CGI03 Carrigaline).
    The help desk operators would never believe that I knew there was no problem inside of my house.

Recently when I called there was a recorded message - "fault in your area...." etc.
    The last few days were ok, then today disconnections of various durations since about 5pm.
    When I called the guy was almost rude, he just kept repeating "the problem was resolved" (at my exchange). I said the problem had returned to which he said "if the problem had returned there would have been lots of calls". I suggested that maybe I was the first of "lots of calls"! Though I doubt many people would wait 8 minutes for their call to be answered as I did.

So, in my case it isn't a DSL problem but an Eircom broadband connection problem.

Anyone else in Carrigaline had problems - Aidan - ?

Speed 3072/384 (kbps)
    Line Attenuation 24/14 dB

(I don't know what the attenuation figures mean or if they've changed)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

In Carriagline and having the same problems. Hate eircom. Wish I could get UPC down here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Podgoricka

having problems in portlaoise my self too!! nightmare

OK, Heres where I am with this two month old situation.

Eircom have given me two choices regarding my BB.

As they cant fix the problem I can either cancel my BB or continue to pay for a connection that worked perfect for years but now drops every couple on minutes and every couple of seconds on the weekends.

The only thing you boys on the Carrigaline / Ringaskiddy / Douglas thread have going for you is numbers so you may not get this option but apparently I'm the only one in my area with this dropping issue.

Not a happy bunny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭Dante

When I was on Eircom before the Summer, my connection would drop numerous times per day. I eventually got sick of their absolute **** service and changed ISP....Such a good decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭mooman

Mine drops at least once a day. If I could get UPC I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

When I was on Eircom before the Summer, my connection would drop numerous times per day. I eventually got sick of their absolute **** service and changed ISP....Such a good decision.

I don't have any other options and had to fight tooth and nail for 10yrs to get this connection.

Would rather do without than go back down the road of satellite or mobile. No WISPs cover or reach me so thats not an option and anything else regards DSL is just bit stream so same problem I'm having now.

So no options.

• Advertisement

mooman wrote: »
    Mine drops at least once a day. If I could get UPC I'd be gone in a heartbeat.

I'd kill for once a day. Try once every 30 seconds! 24/7 for two months.

Advertisement