Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ICSA

Options
  • 18-08-2010 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

I'm just wondering has anyone done these exams or are working towards them at the moment?

I have two part II exams done but I've hit a brick wall with one of the exams; it's so bloody annoying and I don't know if I've the motivation to keep going at them!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Wingman2010

Just posting here again to jump this up the thread's on the off chance someone new here is familiar with ICSA :P

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Bijon

Hi Wingman,

I was just wondering if you have been affected by the changes in the ICSA exams? I passed one on the previous exam route and had 4 exemptions now they are telling me that I have no exemtions and that the exam I passed has been wrote off!!!! I am so angry!

Bijon wrote: »
    Hi Wingman,

I was just wondering if you have been affected by the changes in the ICSA exams? I passed one on the previous exam route and had 4 exemptions now they are telling me that I have no exemtions and that the exam I passed has been wrote off!!!! I am so angry!

Just get on to the London office again. My mate sat one in November for the 1st time. Initially he was told by them if he didn't sit any in November he would have to 6 exam's with the changes that are coming in.

But he then rang them back and another person told him he will only have to do 4 now as he he has started doing them.

So I think you are being treated much the same. It's my understanding you will only have to do 3 now. What a joke of an institute!

I've 2 part II exam's done; I so hate them exams :mad:

Hi Wingman,

I just rang London and I was told that I would only have to do my three remaining PII exams they have an equivilant exam in the new system, but he didn't have them to hand. I am so frustrated as I have been emailing another person all morning and she said that her manager had said I have no exemption and have to do 8 exams. Now I am even more confused, the guy on the phone said to go ahead and apply as normal, but I looked online and cannot find on the application form an area for people transferring across from the old system! The whole insitute is a joke and I wish I did not have to deal with them or worse still give them money!! Are you doing an exam in the summer? Have you been told you can transfer across? It seems like an impossible dream to ever be able to pass them all!!!

Hi Wingman,

I just rang London and I was told that I would only have to do my three remaining PII exams they have an equivilant exam in the new system, but he didn't have them to hand. I am so frustrated as I have been emailing another person all morning and she said that her manager had said I have no exemption and have to do 8 exams. Now I am even more confused, the guy on the phone said to go ahead and apply as normal, but I looked online and cannot find on the application form an area for people transferring across from the old system! The whole insitute is a joke and I wish I did not have to deal with them or worse still give them money!! Are you doing an exam in the summer? Have you been told you can transfer across? It seems like an impossible dream to ever be able to pass them all!!!

It's well known the ICSA are a joke. A money grabbing institute! I do think you only have 3 to do now. Everyone will tell you a different answer. As regards next summer I'm waiting for the dreaded result's next month but I don't think I got the last one though :( My short question's let me down!

You should go to this:

The next ICSA exam session in June 2011 will launch the new Chartered Secretaries Qualifying Scheme (CSQS). If you are a registered student on ICSA’s International Qualifying Scheme you will be transferred to CSQS once November 2010 exam results have been released. This CSQS induction session will let you know what is changing and give you some guidance on how to prepare for the new exams.
    The session will cover:
    • arrangements for transfer from IQS to CSQS
    • the structure and assessment format of CSQS
    • suggested study routes and how much study we recommend you do per module
    • how to use study texts and other ICSA student support
    • information about our registered tuition providers
    • guidance on how to register for exams and what to expect during the process
    • a study skills overview

The session is open to any registered ICSA student and is free of charge. It will take place from 6pm – 7.30pm on Tuesday, 1 February 2011 at the offices of William Fry, First Floor, Fitzwilton House, Wilton Place, Dublin 2. If you are interested in attending the information evening please send an e-mail to icsastudentgroup@gmail.com detailing your full name and current employer. Please respond by Tuesday, 25 January 2011.

• Advertisement

Oh big time I think they are the worst of all the professional institutes! I am terrified to add up all the money I have given them over the years and for what??!!! Fingers crossed I really hope you get the exams, it is so soul destroying when you get that result letter with the FAIL on it after working so hard :( you just don't know where you went wrong!
    Great thanks for sending me that info I will deffo go to it, it may help me to get my head around it, at least I know now I don't have to do 8 exams I was in tears this morning when I get the email!!!

Oh big time I think they are the worst of all the professional institutes! I am terrified to add up all the money I have given them over the years and for what??!!! Fingers crossed I really hope you get the exams, it is so soul destroying when you get that result letter with the FAIL on it after working so hard :( you just don't know where you went wrong!
    Great thanks for sending me that info I will deffo go to it, it may help me to get my head around it, at least I know now I don't have to do 8 exams I was in tears this morning when I get the email!!!

I just heard that you have to pay extra for the books going forward; additional to the registration fee for the exam.

I'll be going to that information night.

Have a good weekend! Time to leave the office :D

I got this email on Friday evening:

As a current IQS student you will be automatically transferred to the new CSQS in February 2011 and the exemptions originally awarded will continue to apply and therefore you will be required to complete only the equivalent modules on the CSQS.

You should not be applying for new exemptions.

Therefore, your individual transfer arrangements are as follows:

IQS CSQS
    Corporate Financial Management → Financial Decision Making
    Corporate Governance → Corporate Governance
    Irish Corporate Secretaryship → Company Secretarial Practice

So at least I only have three to do :P but still as you are well aware it will be a struggle!!
    Deffo have to go to that info night, do you know how much extra the registration and books will cost?

I got this email on Friday evening:

As a current IQS student you will be automatically transferred to the new CSQS in February 2011 and the exemptions originally awarded will continue to apply and therefore you will be required to complete only the equivalent modules on the CSQS.

You should not be applying for new exemptions.

Therefore, your individual transfer arrangements are as follows:

IQS CSQS

So at least I only have three to do :P but still as you are well aware it will be a struggle!!
    Deffo have to go to that info night, do you know how much extra the registration and books will cost?

That's good you got the confirmation you need regarding your exams. I think it's £185 to do the exam's now. The books are extra; between £40 - £85.

I'd imagine a lot of people will be at the information night.

Jasus thats a bit steep isn't it? SO much for them being cheaper :mad: Yeah I'd deffo say there wll be lots at that info evening alright hopefully it will shed some light on things :confused:

• Advertisement

I see someone else set up an ICSA thread; we aren't the only ones doing them damn exams :D

Really in the postgrad forum? So we can all suffer together :p

I think you have posted there also :D

Oh yeah but no one replied :( I am telling you the stress of it all!

I posted again on this thread to bring it back on the postgrad page as I was surprised no one was doing these exams. Are you long out of college? Did you do a law related degree?

Yeah I know I thought there would be more doing the exams but I suppose in the grand scheme of things there are very few of us doing these exams! I am out of college a few years but between travelling and changing jobs it is taking me a while. I have a degree which conatins both law and finance, if I were to be a new entrant i would get no exemptions but luckily I can carry them across. Cannot believe I would have to do the 8 its a joke! Do you have a law or finance related degree? Have you been doing the exams long?

Yes I have a law related degree. I'm in my job 3 years. Youknni enjoying your job though? though?

I am doing co sec around 4 or so years, I trained in practise but am now in corporate services provider, I think I preferred practise but those jobs are thin on the ground at the mo! What area do you work in? Eh its ok to be honest I am sure there I would maybe enjoy something else, how about you?

You're a good while in it also then. I'm in practise. I do like my job I have to admit!

One good thing about co sec is that it's so diversified. You can change job and you will be doing something completely different.

Does there be much jobs in industry? The job's in London seem to be well paid. I have heard stories of people who went to places like Luxembourg to work actually which would be exciting.

Ah yeah I do like the job but I think practise has the edge!!! Exactly you can really diversify the areas you can go into. My job is very different to my last role and much more busier, each day is so different and it is lots more hands on and interactive than my last job!
    Ah yeah there are a lot more industry jobs at the moment especially with all the funds moving to Ireland, my role does not really contain many funds but I have feeling I will looking after a few soon!
    Yeah the UK seems to be a much better market, but I think the well paying jobs need a good few years experience, was looking into some offshore locations which look very tempting, but the only thing is we are kinda stuck to commowealth countries!
    You in a big dept? Busy?

• Advertisement

Well I have only worked in practise so I wouldn't really know. One of the girls in my department came from industry; actually a fairly big PLC and it was so different for her. Even though she was qualified when she came here she never did any of the work at all we did so it was all new to her. So yes at times I think I'd like something challenging like this. But saying that I'm happy at the moment; maybe too happy in my comfort zone :rolleyes:

I wouldn't deal with any funds etc as you can guess. One of my mates went to Luxembourg after she qualified; she actually got qualified a different route but I'll leave that for another day! I'd say she is on nice dollars :p

I'm not in the big 4 but I'm in a fairly big firm. Yes I'm always busy which is great. I hate being quiet.

Well I trained in one of the big 4, but it was very different work to here, it was great though to get exposure to big high profile clients, but as you say it sometimes was not very challenging!
    I think I transitioned ok actually from practise to corporate services, my role here is much broader.
    Oh and does she like Luxembourg? What sort of work does she do there?
    Would yo usay your salary really goes up as much as they say once fully qualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ciaramcd6

Hi there.
    I completed my first ICSA exam in November (Corp Admin). I don't know anyone else who is sitting these exams at the moment so I don't really know what to expect?! Do you guy's have any advice in relation to tackling these exams? I thought that my exam went ok in November but the more I think about it the more I feel like if they are tough markers I may not get the exam!!

I attended the information evening last night and I am a bit confused in relation to the transfer arrangements. I have a Degree in Law and under the new system I would be exempt from 2 / 8. However according to the transfer rules I will only be exempt from Applied Business Law if I pass my Corp. Admin exam.....but I would be exempt from this anyway with my Degree??!! I'm finding the whole thing really annoying!! :confused:

Hi,

No I think once you have sat one exam in the old system you just need to sit the equivilant exams in the new system. I was exempt from four and passed the corp admin, I emailed student support in London and they told me I only had to do the following:

IQS CSQS

I know I didn;t find the info evening much good at all last night to be honest but I doubt anybody else did!! I think on feb 7th the transfer details will be on the ICSA website!

Well fingers crossed I passed Corporate Admin!!! I am so nervous though! When I initially came out of the exam I was happy with it but the more time goes I the less happy I am! It's in the hands of God aka the ICSA now! :o

Well I wish you luck if you too are waiting on a result! Thanks for your help re transfer arrangements!

Hi,

No I think once you have sat one exam in the old system you just need to sit the equivilant exams in the new system. I was exempt from four and passed the corp admin, I emailed student support in London and they told me I only had to do the following:

IQS CSQS

I know I didn;t find the info evening much good at all last night to be honest but I doubt anybody else did!! I think on feb 7th the transfer details will be on the ICSA website!

Yes you should have to sit the corresponding amount of exams with the new system as Bijon has said above.

Hi Guys,

Did either of you get results today? I passed Corp. Admin! :D Thank God for that! Just have to wait for my transfer letter now and hopefully I will be done with these exams within the next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Guys I have an LLB, if i was to sit these exams later in the year how many exemptions would i have?

The syllabus has changed recently. Of hand I don't know. I think 4. There is a part time masters you can also do. Someone else here might confirm how many you have to do with you holding a law degree.

• Advertisement

Hi Jayob,

As far as I am aware you will only get 2 exemptions meaning you will have to sit 6 out of 8 exams. You are better off contacting the institute directly with your personal qualifications and asking them to confirm your exemptions.

Good luck!

Advertisement