Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I contact social services about a neighbour?

Options
  • 18-08-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

As short as possible that I can put it: Witnessed the neighbours ex today commit a serious assault on his ex partner in front of their two small children.

All I saw 'out the window' was this: The woman approx 25-30yrs old was minorly attacking her ex in his car as he was attempting to drive off. She pulled his ear hard and slapped his keys out of his hand and was shouting at him. I closed my window and walked away going about my biz as they often have spats being a young seperated couple with issues.

Then I heard a roar and looked out again and witnessed the large guy punching the woman hard into the head, then he in a rage gave her 2 hefty kicks into the thighs to bring her down.

I was in shock. the guy drove off and hit a taxi on the way out, the guards were called for the traffic accident!!

I'm wondering would it be beneficial to call social services anon about this? would I be making things worse by calling them or as another point would I be letting things get worse by not calling them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

As short as possible that I can put it: Witnessed the neighbours ex today commit a serious assault on his ex partner in front of their two small children.

All I saw 'out the window' was this: The woman approx 25-30yrs old was minorly attacking her ex in his car as he was attempting to drive off. She pulled his ear hard and slapped his keys out of his hand and was shouting at him. I closed my window and walked away going about my biz as they often have spats being a young seperated couple with issues.

Then I heard a roar and looked out again and witnessed the large guy punching the woman hard into the head, then he in a rage gave her 2 hefty kicks into the thighs to bring her down.

I was in shock. the guy drove off and hit a taxi on the way out, the guards were called for the traffic accident!!

I'm wondering would it be beneficial to call social services anon about this? would I be making things worse by calling them or as another point would I be letting things get worse by not calling them?

Yes I think you should call them.

I also think you should move.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Yes I think you should call them.

I also think you should move.
    I'm in the process of trying to move for the sake of my own sanity and the welfare of my daughter 5yrs. In a tactical cold way I have documented this siutation to help approve that move as the guards have this current event on record now.

In a way they are helping my move so the more hassle that happens then the better it could be for me. I have a book and photos of antisocial behaviour so in a way this helps my cause to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Ring them and make a report and do the same with the garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

It is a living nightmare really. My daughter is 5 and I do not want her growing up in this type of environment. The council seem to have chosen to put the worst people into my immediate place. That is how it feels anyway.

My neighbours are all very clicky and I am an outsider to them. They often discuss me as a stranger despite living here for a couple of years. In a strange way the recent events have taken focus off me as a person and a parent who keeps themselves to them selves.

They are a lower form of life in my opinion. That might seem harsh as a statement but they are really testing my patience. I spend my days avoiding them as much as possible. They are really, really disgusting people by their constant actions via their treatment of their kids.

I could not and will not treat my kids in the way that they choose to do so. The sooner that I get away from them the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea_old

just another +1 for reporting this. shocking stuff. thankfully the estate i'm in is not like that, i would crack up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I work in the Social Work Department (not as a Social Worker) and would advise you to report this. Ask to speak to the duty SW for your area and you can also request that your name to remain anonymous.
    The chances are this is not the first time its happened and it is not fair for children to be witnesses for this type of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

There's far worse going on next door to me. HSE put the family in there but despite a number of neighbours some repeatedly contacting local Social Services it's turned out to be a waste of time. I'm finding it very distressing hearing what's going on.

The Gardai are more helpful.

Having worked alongside Social Workers in a couple of health centres over the years I can see why a lot of other medical professions have such a poor opinion of Social Workers. You'd get more use out of a chocolate teapot.

Advertisement