Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Charging for grinds - how much?

• 18-08-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭

Someone asked me today if I'd be interested in giving maths grinds to their son who is going into sixth year... and asked me to think about it and come back to them with a price I'd be willing to do it for. So I was just wondering what the going rate is for someone like me to give maths grinds..? I'm a college student and got a B3 in Higher Level maths (though when I looked at the scripts, I made a lot of very stupid mistakes under the pressure... I could have easily got a B2 or B1 if I had just relaxed a bit in the exam) ... I think the person I'll be giving grinds to is doing Ordinary Level, or just hoping to pass Higher Level. I've never given grinds before, but occasionally helped out my brother who's the same age and doing OL and didn't have any problems with the material. He's getting grinds for €25 an hour off someone atm so I can't charge more than that. And the plan would be to go to his house, if that makes a difference.

Any input is appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,344 ✭✭✭✭starlit

In my time I got maths grinds for €20 times might have changed since that was about 6 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

In my time I got maths grinds for €20 times might have changed since that was about 6 years ago.
    Prices rose since, AND have come down again due to the recession, and more people being glad to earn a few extra bob giving grinds.

Tbh, given that OP is not a qualified teacher, I couldn't see him being able to charge more than €20 ... even that seems a bit high, but if OP has to travel, may be fair enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

I got charged 30 quid every weekend for about 9 months, and got a D2 in Higher Level today LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Thanks for your help! I'll go for 20, I guess. It's what I had in mind anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I got Biology grinds - cost 20 an hour (although she did sometimes stay extra long for free)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Another quick one - I'm an engineer. Though I've no teaching experience, do you think people would be interested in taking maths grinds with my qualification?I'm not a teacher, but there's not much I don't know about how to do LC and JC maths courses!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

I got charged €30 this year for maths grinds :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

I got mine for €20 for an hour - It's a fair price and unless you can guarantee and A or high B for the student any higher isn't fair as basically you wouldn't deserve it :p

but 20-25 is fair

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    unless you can guarantee and A or high B for the student any higher isn't fair as basically you wouldn't deserve it :p

I don't know how any teacher could guarantee that.

When I was getting grinds pre-economic catostrophe (2007-8) I was charged €40, and that was with 4/5 others. It seems to depend on the area of the country you're in.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 114 ✭✭UglyFuc

i got charged 45 but the man came around to the house intstad of me leaving.

they were useless so he only lasted 3 weeks haha

learnt more from this book than any teacher http://www.leavingcertsolutions.com/2ndindex.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,969 ✭✭✭doc_17

I know of a man who charged 90 euro to give accountacy grinds....and he got it too. He was a super teacher by all accounts and used to work in one of those schools for rich kids (fees) so he reckoned he could charge that.

If you travel to their house I think 30 is fair but if they come to you lower the price a bit as you save time and the travel costs are reversed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 happy23

i gave a 3 hour grind in biology for free to a neighbour this year as a favour, she got a c1 after having failed her mock quite badly. I did my leaving this year, got 580 with an a1 in biology,chemistry,french and irish and an a2 in both maths and english. I'm hoping to give grinds in biology and chemistry for leaving certs and then maybe french, irish, maths and science for junior certs. I'm not a teacher so i wouldn't charge more than 20 and would be happy to take 2 students at once for 15 each, do you think that would be fair or is there any market out there for grinds given by college students??

There is a market for grinds at LC but not really at JC except maybe for Maths. Also getting 2 students at the one time is difficult as they may be at different levels, parents are rluctant as they want individual focus for their kid, and the simple logistics of arranging times to suit can sometimes be problematic for people arranging grinds. Those are some of the things that people I know who give grinds have.

thanks. i would prefer to take students by themselves anyway i was just asking if i took two friends at once (which people approached me to do during the year) would 15 each be enough of a discount?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Being good at doing something is no guarantee you'll be able to help someone who is struggling.

Re the discount for multiple students, it's up to you, but remember you're going to have to get quite a bit of stuff ready in advance and perhaps correct an exercise or two after. Allow for this in your prices.

Be honest enough to stop if you get a student you are not helping (e.g. someone with a learning difficulty).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

spurious wrote: »
    Being good at doing something is no guarantee you'll be able to help someone who is struggling.

That, and I really do think that you need to have studied something to a higher level to be able to have a very good understanding of it. A LC student giving grinds to another one isn't the best situation if you ask me. Throw something on an exam paper that is a 'little off the beaten track' of the usual exam material and somebody who only has a LC in the subject might struggle to properly explain it, or have the adequate knowledge to explain it. This is particularly true in subjects like Maths/Chemistry/Physics and the like.

happy23 wrote: »
    thanks. i would prefer to take students by themselves anyway i was just asking if i took two friends at once (which people approached me to do during the year) would 15 each be enough of a discount?

yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Re the discount for multiple students, it's up to you, but remember you're going to have to get quite a bit of stuff ready in advance and perhaps correct an exercise or two after. Allow for this in your prices.

Be honest enough to stop if you get a student you are not helping (e.g. someone with a learning difficulty).

I definitely agree with this. I got an A2 in German and was considering giving grinds but I wouldn't charge more than E15.

I used to be diabolical at German so I think in that way I can understand people's difficulties and the best way to solve them, as I had to.

Ya i personally wouldn't offer leaving cert grinds in anything but biology as i find it really easy to explain and i've helped a few of my friends with different topics over the last two years but i know myself i couldn't help someone understand leaving cert chemistry or irish, despite getting the same result in both as i got in biology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Curlyhatescurls

Well I got Irish grinds for an hour and a half, one on one from a college student and she came to my house also, it was 20 euro. My neighbour gives maths grinds, she's qualified though and it's 20 euro an hour(and she stays longer sometimes for free) and this is one on one. Definitely, 20 euro is the most you can ask for and don't be too strict about staying a little over the hour if you need to finish showing them something.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Dafydd Thomas

Well I got Irish grinds for an hour and a half, one on one from a college student and she came to my house also, it was 20 euro. My neighbour gives maths grinds, she's qualified though and it's 20 euro an hour(and she stays longer sometimes for free) and this is one on one. Definitely, 20 euro is the most you can ask for and don't be too strict about staying a little over the hour if you need to finish showing them something.

I payed 30 for DCG and OL Maths, 35 for German and 40 for English. I think 30 is reasonable for an hour from a qualified teacher.

I payed 30 for DCG and OL Maths, 35 for German and 40 for English. I think 30 is reasonable for an hour from a qualified teacher.

So €135 per week on grinds?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭lc2010

I got german grinds this year- 15euro. She was a fully qualified retired teacher. the grinds usually lasted between 1hr and 1hr30. For the last 2weeks she gave me free grinds!! Absolute legend!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭PARARORY

Just did the leaving and I've been asked to give grinds ( by 2/3 of my good friends who are in the year below )

Over the last few years I paid
    65 euro ; hour and a half spanish grind
    40 euro for a JC maths grind

But the average from talking to people seems to be about 40 to 50 euro from a good teacher. ( College students are usually lower )

Im not going to charge them more than 20 - 25 euro an hour ( me going to their house ) ... They were willing to pay more but I didnt feel right taking it off friends.

Personally I think any student who has just done the Leaving Cert shouldnt charge more than €30 IMO :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

True and I completely agree. I'm just wondering if I'd get the "but you're not a teacher" argument. Make no mistake though, I won't keep going if I think I'm doing more damage than good!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭eoins23456

just repeated maths there and got an A1.was thinking of charging around 19 euro an hour.I think id be good at giving grinds.Suppose the best time to do them would be at the weekend!Would ya just advertise in the local shop or the papers or even on boards?

Advertisement