Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bug Infestation

Options
  • 18-08-2010 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭

Hey

Just finishing a new house build and I have discovered my entire site is covered in millions of bugs that I have not seen before munching away on the "weeds" that have grown since we leveled the site. The entire half acre site has these plants and each plant is black with these bugs covering them. Many of the plants have been eaten by 20%.

Does anyone know what the plants and the bugs are? Sorry for the photo quality its from the phone.

I will be preparing the site for laying grass seed soon will these be problem?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The plant looks like some sort of a knotweed, could be redshank. All the knotweeds are very persistant and invasive. The bugs could be flying ants but I did not think flying ants ate leaves. If they are flying ants they might just leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Thanks for that, these are not ants they are more beetle like. I will get a better picture later today when I am on site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

A type of Bibionid fly
    They won't be a problem for your plans and in my experience they'll be gone within couple weeks. if you're doing ground prep they'll just fly off.

I think they are just at rest rather than eating the plant. The larvae eat decaying matter

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

Mothman wrote: »
    A type of Bibionid fly
    They won't be a problem for your plans and in my experience they'll be gone within couple weeks. if you're doing ground prep they'll just fly off.

I think they are just at rest rather than eating the plant. The larvae eat decaying matter

Spray off the Weeds (Knotweed is easily killed by Round up) Have seen these fly's around rotting veg wouldn't worry about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭Leadership

Hey thanks lads

• Advertisement
Advertisement