Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn't it funny......

Options
  • 18-08-2010 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

Isn't it funny we spend so many years making sure we dont get preg, freaking out over late period, running for morning after pill.....then when you are ready its doesn't happen

I find it quite funny

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Funny in a heartbreaking way. I was on the pill for 14 years, off it now 3 and TTC 2. Still we all do what we think is right at the time, I'm glad I didn't have kids with any of my boyfriends in my 20's they weren't the right guys. My hubbie and I didn't wait around, other than to make sure we were together long enough to know what we wanted for sure. It will happen at least now we know we can conceive, so hopefully next time our baba will be stronger and make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭cinderella2010

Heartbreaking is right - well I have been with the same guy for 12 years so it wouldn't have been all bad but I guess we wouldn't have got the travel - but then what is travel compared to motherhood

Please God give us the opportunity to mothers

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭alde

I was thinking the exact same thing the other day!! Its a living nightmare. All i seem to do is think/talk about getting pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Ha ha yeah, you spend your youth afraid to be in the same room as a willy in case you get pregnant, then its like something clicks and its the only thing that matters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Silcocky

Absolutely!!

Even still, I find it strange when friends talk about contraception - its so ALIEN to me now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Too true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Yep totally agree and I could see the irony myself when we were starting. When you're younger and avoiding pregnancy like the plague you think it's so easy to get pregnant. Then you start trying and realise it's a bloody biological lottery and not so easy afterall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It does depend on age unfortunatly.

In your 20s you have a great chance of convicing and it then declines when we are in our 30s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fertility#Female_fertility
    Female fertility

The average age of menarche in the United States is about 12.5 years.[8] In postmenarchal girls, about 80% of the cycles were anovulatory in the first year after menarche, 50% in the third and 10% in the sixth year.[9][10] Women's fertility peaks between the ages of 22 to 26, and often declines after 30: a typical 30 year old woman has 12% of the ovarian reserve she was born with, and has only 3% at age 40[11]. With a rise in women postponing pregnancy,[12] this can create an infertility problem. Of women trying to get pregnant, without using fertility drugs or in vitro fertilization:

* At age 30, 75% will get pregnant within one year, and 91% within four years.
    * At age 35, 66% will get pregnant within one year, and 84% within four years.
    * At age 40, 44% will get pregnant within one year, and 64% within four years.[13]

The above figures are for pregnancies ending in a live birth and take into account the increasing rates of miscarriage in the aging population. According to the March of Dimes, "about 9 percent of recognised pregnancies for women aged 20 to 24 ended in miscarriage. The risk rose to about 20 percent at age 35 to 39, and more than 50 percent by age 42".[14]

Advertisement