Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids from disadvantaged backgrounds, points allowance?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭

Hey I remember hearing somewhere that sometimes people from disadvantaged backgrounds get courses for slightly lower points in UCD.

Today my gf scored short of what she expects arts to be in UCD. She'd never dream of trying to use her background to get in, but tbh I have never seen someone want so much. Her single mother died when she was 15, and an entire year of her education was lost. She spent the rest trying to catch up and living with grandparents. She wants to study social science (or sociology in arts) with the aim of becoming a social worker.

I think she'll go to Tallaght in a year as she'd need to re-apply.

Is such an allowance in existence? Or was what I heard untrue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭leinsterrugby

wattttttt? this is not on man like its absolutely crazy. why does someone from like some ****hole like ballymun deserve preference over someone like me because i happened to be born into money. ucd is a middle/upper class establishment and should remain so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Because it's harder to get high points when you don;t ahve the advantages that being "born into money" provides. And watch that tone or the next time I won't politely rebutt your stupid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

wattttttt? this is not on man like its absolutely crazy. why does someone from like some ****hole like ballymun deserve preference over someone like me because i happened to be born into money. ucd is a middle/upper class establishment and should remain so
    Tbh, your post answers its own question, if you could only realise it.

Errlloyd, you're probably thinking of the HEAR scheme, but it has to be applied for in advance, not at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Circumtances.Because you are born into money, you have absolutely no clue of the disadvantages that other may have. They may come from a rough area but who are you to say that they are not capable for college?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭taz70

Here is a link to information on the HEAR scheme - you need to scroll down to see it. http://www.cao.ie/index.php?page=downloads

Her other option is to redo some LC subjects this year and reapply to the CAO next year or accept another course and then see if she can transfer into UCD next year.

But I would urge her to talk to someone at UCD to find out her options - no point in doing something for the next year that won't help her get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,612 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Thank you guys so much.

Honestly I don't think she'd even approve of me posting this. Like tbh if she missed out on Medicine or Law I wouldn't, but she wants to study sociology, and with her background I think she would be particularly suited to the course, it could really help her, and give her a chance to help others.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I'm surprised her school didn't tell her about Access courses in general, though perhaps she didn't attend a DEIS school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Only certain schools can apply through the New Era scheme, so it might not have been an option for her. The school itself needs to be listed as disadvantaged and then the student/parents income is means tested. You get the acceptance letter with your CAO offer.

She didn't attend a DEIS school actually, however I looked at the website she is still eligible to apply.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The more people from traditionally non-college-going groups and areas the better. I wish her good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Errlloyd, I hope she gets in, it's nice to see genuine people getting a leg-up in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Remember kids, no matter how stupid you might think a poster is, attack their post, not them. The charter applies to all abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mk1600

It too late now for the new era scheme if she hasn't already applied as far as i know.

She could possibly do a PLC course in sociology (possibly in sallynoggin) and then depending on results transfer to the degree course in UCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,005 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Good Source of advice here guys, might have to pass this around.

Nice :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭cutymonalisa

Social Science in Uni or Applied Social Studies in an IT are the degree routes for entry to a Masters in Social Work. TBH the App Soc Studies degree is actually better as a foundation ahead of doing the MSW and has lower points. A friend of mine went back to do App Soc St in LIT as a mature student (got the course on interview - scraped a leaving cert back in the day) and is now doing the MSW.

Good luck to your OH ;)

Thanks man, this sort of stuff really helps.

In the long run I have faith that no matter what she is gonna succeed and become a social worker, its just the emptiness of her finishing school without a plan thats got her down atm. Come September all her mates will start new lives and she's kinda left to her own devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Bobby42

if she can't get in to a third level course i'd recommend a social care practice plc course. these are really interesting with a good bit of sociology and work placements so you get a really good insight into social care/social work.
    i finished a social care plc course in april and i'm starting social science in UCD in september so a this type of course can definitely help.
    on UCD being an middle/upper class establishment, courses like social science need students from a variety of backgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Bobby42 wrote: »
    if she can't get in to a third level course i'd recommend a social care practice plc course. these are really interesting with a good bit of sociology and work placements so you get a really good insight into social care/social work.
    i finished a social care plc course in april and i'm starting social science in UCD in september so a this type of course can definitely help.
    on UCD being an middle/upper class establishment, courses like social science need students from a variety of backgrounds.

My cousin did something similar for nursing and is now starting Psych Nursing in September, tremendous way to get into a college course by far.

Bobby42 wrote: »

Did your PLC need CAO? Or could you just apply in September? If you could apply can you pm details.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

errlloyd wrote: »
    Did your PLC need CAO? Or could you just apply in September? If you could apply can you pm details.
    To the best of my knowledge, no Post-Leaving Cert courses go through CAO.

Application closing dates can vary, though, some of the very popular ones will have recruited early in the summer and may be full by now; many will only be recruiting or at least filling up now though.

The Career Guidance teacher in her old school should be able to help. Also, many PLCs are run by the VEC, and their Adult Guidance Service should be able to advise.

(At this point, this forum may be a better one for information / advice btw. :))

• Advertisement
Advertisement