Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIDL cycling gear 26/08/10

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Trekmad wrote: »
    Have to agree, useless on a road bike and won't last long. Might be alright for a MTB.

That work stand looks good, might be worth a punt.

Yep +1 mine gave up this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

sickle wrote: »
    has anyone tried the shoes before?
    quite tempting at only €25!

bought a pair in the uk about 3 years still going strong not the stiffest of shoes (not suprisingly) but i thought they were worth the money, obvoiusly they arent going to take muddy mtb'ing every day but they take occasional use fine
    and lastly the ones that are there next week will be different anyway

commute in the aldi ones they are fine as well

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭SteadyEddie

I live near the Lidl on Thomas Street (Dublin 8)....Does anyone know if all the Lidl stores have all the gear - or only larger stores do?

Does anyone know what would be the biggest Lidl in Dublin city centre?

Cheers.

I live near the Lidl on Thomas Street (Dublin 8)....Does anyone know if all the Lidl stores have all the gear - or only larger stores do?

Does anyone know what would be the biggest Lidl in Dublin city centre?

Cheers.

I've never known a lidl not to do a special if it's on offer, but on the other hand, the larger stores will of course have more in stock. Have got bike stuff in the cork street area first thing before and haven't had a problem with stock. Should be going to the Rathmines one this time though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Which do you guys think would be the best to go to out of: Rathmines, Blachardstown or Blakestown?

Also, what do you guys think of the SPD shoes - would they be comparable or better than the cheapest SPD's on ChainReactioN?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Get there early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Get there early!

You weren't kidding, really pleased with the work stand, fine and solid.
    Going to make adjusting the derailer a little easier for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

8:20 in the Lidl at Cornelscourt there were no stands left :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

plenty of stands in donegal town at 8:30 ;)

(and the rest of the stuff )

although the army seemed to be taking a keen interest in all the gear, ar they been issued with bikes ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

They didn't have any small sizes (jerseys, jackets and leggings) in Galway, so I bought medium but everything is a bit big. Makes me look like I lost weight! The shoes are also a bit heavy but not bad for €25. Plenty of stuff in stock but I'd say they'll go fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

Around 10 stands left in the Fortunestown Lane (Citywest) shop, I was there at 8:30 and I was the only person getting a stand, lots of people getting the clothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Stands sold out in Walkinstown Avenue (just off Long Mile Road)

If anyone wants I can pop back into Fortunestown Lane and pick up 2 or 3 stands. they can be collected from either Citywest or Dalkey/Kiliney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I was looking for the shoes, stand, a lock and other stuff. I thought I'd go early on my way to work and made it to Deansgrange at 08:10.

I thought there would be tumbleweeds blowing around at that time, along with some surly staff wondering what yer man is doing coming in the door meer minutes after thay opened. As in, couldn't you give us a chance to make a coffee first?

I was wrong!

The place was rockin, with cyclists making up about 95% of all customers in the store! There was lots of friendly but oh, so, focused activity; people trying to find their size; trying on shoes; grabbing one of the dwindling numbers of stands ... I got everything I needed, but the stands were gone at about 08:30 !!!

Must go now to see if the stuff is any good ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 benthebeetle

Sallins and Clane has loads of gear in stock. Was there just before 9am and was the only punter in the store. Just heading out now in all the new gear. Fits perfectly. Full kit and bike stand for €98.71!!!!
    Beat that LBS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

just an update. i was in the thomas st branch at 9am and there were loads of stands left. in fact there was lots of everything, except winter gloves in anything above small size, which of course is what i went in there in the first place for! got the track pump, summer gloves, and the LED warning lights and an emergency cannister for 23 yo yos. not bad, really hope the pump works :)

TheNah wrote: »
    really hope the pump works :)

Don't be over reliant on it, I got one a few years ago and it never really got my tyres up to 110psi and the valve connector wasn't great either, in the ned I went out and got a decent one for €40, (worth it's weight in gold)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Crap... Totally dropped the ball on this one. If anyone got or could get a spare stand i'd be super grateful and could fetch it anywhere around dublin. Just tried glasnevin and am on the bus to finglas now to try my luck... Might even carry on to ballymun after if that doesn't work.

Also, are the pumps really that bad? Just picked one up for occasional use on my road bike and my girlfriend's citybike... Will i get a few months out of it even? Will return it if the answer is no... Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭thegrayson

Headford Road, Galway, got the second last work stand at 9:20. Plenty of everything else in stock though. It was a last minute thing too, on my way to work, remembered it was Thursday, lucky I got one at all. Unusual to see so many bikes locked outside the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I'll go to the Blanch Shop centre in a couple of hours and check the inventory for you people :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I was in Coolock at 8am when it opened, had alot of stands and only 5 or so cyclists in the store at that time, I'd say there were 40 odd stands left when I left at 8.15.

There was more of a rush on the garden swing yoke, at least half an old peoples home in attendance......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 new2biking

Got the stand in Clondalkin (Nangor Rd) at 9:30, about 10 left. Picked up a few short and long sleeve jerseys, jacket, rain jacket, tool bag, leggings, gloves (no long finger ones), lights and lock all for less than 150 snots, beat that Wheelworx!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

blanch had plenty of work stands at about 9. Only a couple of people looking at the stuff.

took a chance as I was out on the road a driving by Lidl, and picked up 2 stands for the first 2 people who have been out of luck so far. just PM me for collection/delivery options. (they are big/heavy boxes, I would have been stuck it I had cycled in to work today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

took a chance as I was out on the road a driving by Lidl, and picked up 2 stands for the first 2 people who have been out of luck so far. just PM me for collection/delivery options. (they are big/heavy boxes, I would have been stuck it I had cycled in to work today.

I can't pm from my phone but I'll be home in two minutes! Would be really grateful if i could be one of those 2! :)

First one goes to Passive, one left.

nomadic wrote: »
    blanch had plenty of work stands at about 9. Only a couple of people looking at the stuff.

Too bad I dont need one. Are the LS jersey available in Small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

All sold out in drogheda.

Highway could i have the other spare stand ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Pizarro wrote: »
    They didn't have any small sizes (jerseys, jackets and leggings) in Galway, so I bought medium but everything is a bit big. Makes me look like I lost weight! The shoes are also a bit heavy but not bad for €25. Plenty of stuff in stock but I'd say they'll go fast.

Not sure which Galway branch you were in - Headford Rd, Doughiska or a few miles out of town in Oranmore. I was in the Headford Rd. one at 810 and they seemed to have all sizes in the gear.

If your looking for size S then maybe try the other 2 branches.

Yours, just PM me for collection/delivery options
    Zorba wrote: »
    All sold out in drogheda.

Highway could i have the other spare stand ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

SUPER

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

At 10am there was still a good stock in Cork St branch, especially maybe 6 to 9 stands and a good selection of shoe sizes 42,43,44

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭nomadic

Too bad I dont need one. Are the LS jersey available in Small?
    No idea sorry, I just grabbed myself a rain jacket and some underwear in medium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

dropped into the one in Leixlip on the way to work - Loads of gear left then.

Jerseys were running thin on the smaller sizes

But @ 9am there were a heap of Workstands there.

joker77 wrote: »
    dropped into the one in Leixlip on the way to work - Loads of gear left then.

Jerseys were running thin on the smaller sizes
    Just heard from niceonetom who said the Blanch Lidl seems to only have L and XL jerseys left ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

AstraMonti wrote: »
    8:20 in the Lidl at Cornelscourt there were no stands left :eek:
    Were you looking for a stand and if so did you get sorted?

I'll be passing the Leixlip one again on the way back just after 1pm today, can swing by and see how many they've left, and if could prob pick one up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭havana

JMJR wrote: »
    At 10am there was still a good stock in Cork St branch, especially maybe 6 to 9 stands and a good selection of shoe sizes 42,43,44

Just back from there and only one stand out on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Bunnyhopper

4 or 5 stands left in the Blakestown branch at about 11am.

EDIT: they also had a good few jerseys, gloves, etc. but I wasn't looking too closely so don't know about sizes for the jerseys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

I picked up a stand this morning (I'm on a day off), they are not super high quality but for €30 they are a bargain. The horizontal bar is only held with a friction lock and while there is a steel nut in there I would'nt like to to give it a gorilla grip tighten.

The clamp and actual stand itself are good quality and work well. And before anyone asks yes I will clean my bike today.....

Well, might clean it:D

img4679h.jpg

img4683u.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

Ah you beat me too it...!

For €30 I couldn't be any happier with it, and I was even bothered to give my rothar a quick wash and lube up.

26082010104.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

feckin sold out when I went to get one at 10 this morning! Tried three different shops and just gave up.

Still a few stands at the Blanchardstown lidl. Only picked up a pair of gloves. The jerseys were very very thin looking, I would think they'd keep you warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭MarkG1975

those stands are great value,good quality,theres still about 6 of them in Lidl Malahide rd/Coolock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

Fair play to anyone who managed to get their mitts on a workstand. All sold out by 12 at Rathmines, Thomas St & Cork St. Couldn't really be arsed after that. Amazing reaction to this special alright.

By the way, to anyone thinking getting a pair of the SPD-compatible shoes, bear in mind that the cleat area isn't recessed on them. To me having a recessed cleat area is one of the key pluses of the SPD system, so that I can walk around off the bike not looking like a duck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭madson

Picked up the workstand and one of the cycling jackets. First time buying any gear from lidl/aldi and i'm pleasantly surprised with the quality of both the stand and jacket. Well worth the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

oflahero wrote: »
    Fair play to anyone who managed to get their mitts on a workstand. All sold out by 12 at Rathmines, Thomas St & Cork St. Couldn't really be arsed after that. Amazing reaction to this special alright.

By the way, to anyone thinking getting a pair of the SPD-compatible shoes, bear in mind that the cleat area isn't recessed on them. To me having a recessed cleat area is one of the key pluses of the SPD system, so that I can walk around off the bike not looking like a duck.

I bought some of these this morning. There is a removable area underneath (held in place with 2 allen keys) which I presume is where the cleats go.

Having said that, I'm no expert. I assumed I could unscrew this area and insert my cleats and be done. In fact, later today, I had planned to purchase these pedals. Will my plan work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

Got a stand in Moore Street at lunchtime. There was only one other left and I think someone nabbed it shortly after me. It was reassuringly heavy on the way back to the office. There wasn't a whole lot left of anything else (apart from saddles and kids' helmets). I took a flyer on a couple of very non-euro pairs of socks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭backtobass

Got one of the stands myself this morning, definitely the business for 30 euro, very robust etc,had about ten left aroung twelve this morning in ballyvolane cork...................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

got the stand this morning - 8am on way to work along with 5 others all rushing in the door looking for same thing :D just tried it out in the carpark and its very solid. Anyone who didn't get one if they come in again, def go there early in morning to nab yourself one. by the way, my son saw a few left in Ennis Rd Limerick shop less than hour ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Holy crap, I'm only seeing this now :eek:!!!!!! I'm out of here at 4.59, on the bike at 5.00!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement