Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LIDL cycling gear 26/08/10

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Hey guys there is about 5-6 workstands left in the lidl in the coolock outlet And other gear aswell. I was there bout 30 mins ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭oflahero

route66 wrote: »
    I bought some of these this morning. There is a removable area underneath (held in place with 2 allen keys) which I presume is where the cleats go.

Having said that, I'm no expert. I assumed I could unscrew this area and insert my cleats and be done. In fact, later today, I had planned to purchase these pedals. Will my plan work?

Nice, I've the M324 pedals myself, quite similar. Shoes'll be fine, just not 100% sure of how sticky-outy the cleats will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭poochiem

oflahero wrote: »
    Nice, I've the M324 pedals myself, quite similar. Shoes'll be fine, just not 100% sure of how sticky-outy the cleats will be.

yeah I've just tried mine (in the kitchen, like a kid at christmas).. the cleats are screwed into the recess when you remove the screwed in rubber cover on the sole, so when walking the cleats are flush with the regular sole, you'll get the occasional 'click clack' but you can walk normally. I've got those double sided pedals too so all is good. nice price.

Had to phone home to galway to get a bike stand picked up for me as they all gone in cork st and thomas st. looks like the business in the previous comments. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

The ss jerseys fit very tight in the sleve area (& I've skinny arms)!
    Rain jacket looks decent enough for the money.
    Mitts were all sold out in my size :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

So what sort of cheap pedals would people recommend to go with the lidl shoes.
    Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Fair play to anyone who managed to get their mitts on a workstand. All sold out by 12 at Rathmines, Thomas St & Cork St. Couldn't really be arsed after that. Amazing reaction to this special alright.

By the way, to anyone thinking getting a pair of the SPD-compatible shoes, bear in mind that the cleat area isn't recessed on them. To me having a recessed cleat area is one of the key pluses of the SPD system, so that I can walk around off the bike not looking like a duck.

The cleat area IS recessed, you have to take the cover off.

xz wrote: »
    The cleat area IS recessed, you have to take the cover off.

Thanks for clearing that up, it looked from a quick glance in the shop that you might have to screw on directly.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Spent €106 in lidl this morning and I didn't get a workstand as I already have one. They had a HRM in Carlow for €18. Bought black and yeloow summer gloves :) SPD shoes, jersey, jackets and shower cap.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭zindicato

went at 1 oclock in deansgrange the stands were all sold out damn.... so i just bought some jacket trousers the jerseys are very flimsy anyways if anybody has bought an extra stand be willing to buy it back from you

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭markyboy

Thanks for clearing that up, it looked from a quick glance in the shop that you might have to screw on directly.

Cleat newbie question - how tight do you screw the cleats on? Do you leave a bit of give? Thanks!

http://www.bikemagic.com/maintenance/fitting-spd-cleats/7004.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

What would that tyre sealant be like?I've seen them before for car tyres but not for bikes.

Any pro's/cons?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

in Greystones this evening - cycling section was a poorly-stocked mess, obvious all the other MAMILs got there before me. Was hoping to get a long sleeve jersey and some full-finger gloves but they only had XL in the jerseys and the gloves had all been seperated and it was impossible to tell the sizes. Oh well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

markyboy wrote: »
    Cleat newbie question - how tight do you screw the cleats on? Do you leave a bit of give? Thanks!

http://www.bikemagic.com/maintenance/fitting-spd-cleats/7004.html

Shouldn't be any give u should screw them on tight to the shoe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

So has anyone tested the stand yet if so any verdict? Is it worth buying?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

So has anyone tested the stand yet if so any verdict? Is it worth buying?

If you can still get one....
    Ah you beat me too it...!

For €30 I couldn't be any happier with it, and I was even bothered to give my rothar a quick wash and lube up.

26082010104.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Gavb

The stands are great.
    I got one this morning about 8.30, then the courier arrived with my new handlebars about half an hour later, so new stand and a job to do, result!
    Happy to report it did the job very nicely.
    Thanks Mr.Lidl!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭greenrocket

picked up a stand in lidl in cavan at around 7 yesterday, they still had about 4 or 5 left if anyone is in the area. i can confirm that it does the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,461 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

stand is great better than my tatty ancient tacx (20 year old) one anyway

for 30 euro you cat really go wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Picked up a rain jacket, nice and light and came with a free shower cap, which I gave to my mother!

Also wanted a long sleeve jersey but they were paper thin and I'd imagine you'd freeze in them.

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    Picked up a rain jacket, nice and light and came with a free shower cap, which I gave to my mother!

Also wanted a long sleeve jersey but they were paper thin and I'd imagine you'd freeze in them.

helmet cover please !

as to the jerseys bought a ss one and its as thin as any other i have

anyway i was wearing a craft pro zero base layer last night anyway under my ss jersey ! (sunny but chilly)
    i just layer with the correct base layer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭dowtcha

Bought the bike pump, have to agree the release of presta valve is a bit stiff, but for the 7.50e cost vs. average bike shop charge of +30e, am still happy - early days I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

iregk wrote: »

I went out for an hour and a half returning just before Dusk in the short sleeved jersey and it was far from the warmest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Zorba wrote: »
    Shouldn't be any give u should screw them on tight to the shoe.

Could anyone answer this question about Cleats:
    Are these available from LBS, and is the type to use 'Shimano SPD' or 'equivalent'? Approx what cost? Is it better ie cheaper to use online vendor?
    Thanks for any help
    John

JMJR wrote: »
    Could anyone answer this question about Cleats:
    Are these available from LBS, and is the type to use 'Shimano SPD' or 'equivalent'? Approx what cost? Is it better ie cheaper to use online vendor?
    Thanks for any help
    John

Depends on your pedals. If they are SPD or SPD-compatible, then they would have come packaged with a pair of cleats that you should use.

If they didn't, then you don't have clipless pedals. Buy a pair of M324s or similar. You'll save a few euro online, but the few quid difference would well be worth buying in your LBS instead and getting shown how to stick the cleats on properly, adjusting the fit, and maybe even putting the pedals on for you and adjusting the binding tension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭JMJR

Depends on your pedals. If they are SPD or SPD-compatible, then they would have come packaged with a pair of cleats that you should use.

If they didn't, then you don't have clipless pedals. Buy a pair of M324s or similar. You'll save a few euro online, but the few quid difference would well be worth buying in your LBS instead and getting shown how to stick the cleats on properly, adjusting the fit, and maybe even putting the pedals on for you and adjusting the binding tension.

Thanks oflahero,
    I should have been clearer. I have spd pedals, came with a 2nd hand bike, but no cleats. Now I have the lidl shoes and so wondered whats the best/quickest/least expensive way to acquire cleats!
    Thanks
    John

• Advertisement

Thanks oflahero,
    I should have been clearer. I have spd pedals, came with a 2nd hand bike, but no cleats. Now I have the lidl shoes and so wondered whats the best/quickest/least expensive way to acquire cleats!
    Thanks
    John

These should be your only man so (as long as your pedals are the common-or-garden MTB-style SPD and not the road variety, the latter of which look like this and require different cleats:
    41BkleWVU3L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

See halfords have these for 35 euro
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_194079_categoryId_212405_langId_-1?cm_vc=IOV4PLPZ1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 cmanracer

Got the stand at 9.30am in greystones yesterday. Last one on the floor. Can't believe the quality for 30 quid. Really strong stuff. The rain jacket seems grand as well. Love the shower cap....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 volcanicash

my girlfriend used the shower cap this morning in the shower. then put it in the bin. atleast we got one use out of it. is more than most people will

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

Thanks oflahero,
    Thanks
    John

You can buy the cleats on their own without pedals - check out halfords or chainreaction, both of whom sell cleats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 davidoc

8 stands left in Listowel earlier today, if anyone is interested. (Mother-in-law picked one up for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭happytramp

So, exactly how crappy are the pumps? Any reports? Just got one but haven't used it yet. At least it's got a gauge right! Despite it's apparent rubbishness I'm still hoping it's better than my 6 euro chainreaction pump.

well ive used one for years since my zefal one broke, as long as your careful when your pumping it should be fine. if you break it its probably you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

6 stands in Charleville yesterday evening if anyones looking for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

cython wrote: »
    Yeah, funnily enough I always find the Aldi gloves better at the same price point. You'd think there'd be nothing in it, but they definitely wear better, and I find them more comfortable.

For *anything* technical, and for vegetables and pizzas, I find Aldi far better. Got a couple of those Lidl Silver Crest radios (shudder).

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Pizarro

A bit late in the day, but does anyone know if these pedals will work with the Lidl shoes? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759

Pizarro wrote: »
    A bit late in the day, but does anyone know if these pedals will work with the Lidl shoes? http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759

yep

(got em on my commuter 2 years so far as well ! great value pedal)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭nitrogen

I thought the Aldi gear was better in quality, and cheaper too. The gloves I got are great. Pity some fcuker stole my 5 Euro glasses though - asshole!

How are the Lidl glasses? I can't find a pair of glasses as good as the Aldi ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭browneire

Did anyone else chance the LED Velcro strap lights? Used them for a eun this eve, first light didn't even switch on, second light gave up 5k from home in the dark. Doesn't seem to be a battery issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭stuf

browneire wrote: »
    Did anyone else chance the LED Velcro strap lights? Used them for a eun this eve, first light didn't even switch on, second light gave up 5k from home in the dark. Doesn't seem to be a battery issue.

most of the aldi/lidl has a 3 year guarantee - no need to consider something that doesn't work to be an inevitable consequence of getting something that doesn't work - they will exchange/refund

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

route66 wrote: »
    I bought some of these this morning. There is a removable area underneath (held in place with 2 allen keys) which I presume is where the cleats go.

Having said that, I'm no expert. I assumed I could unscrew this area and insert my cleats and be done. In fact, later today, I had planned to purchase these pedals. Will my plan work?

Ok, The pedals came in today. With minimal RTFM'ing I removed the underneath of my LIDL shoes with a small allen key and then installed the cleats that came with the pedals. I guesstimated the positions of the cleats and then (ok, I read a little bit of the instructions) I eased the tension of the SPD clasp to minimum before going out for a burn. I didn't fall off (yet) and practiced uncleating and cleating a lot. Some observations:
    • I just went for a flat 10km cycle and can't say that the SPDs made a huge difference. Time will tell.
    • I made sure to cut off the excess of the mudguards supports that sometimes overlap with my toes at full lock - don't want to fall off during low-speed manouvers
    • I will look at doing the "sit on a wall and look at the angles that your feet hang" test with a view to adjusting the cleat positions on my shoes next week.
    • I installed the reflectors that came with the pedals. I'm not sure if they look like an afterthought? I would think they reduce the gripped surface area on the non-spd side.
    • When coming to a stop, I uncleated on my "non prime" side. I then used this foot to keep myself upright when stationary. When moving off then, my cleated - and "prime" - foot was then the used to power away :D
    Anyway, hope this helps anyone else with these shoes. Oh, and glad to hear any advice that anyone may have about the above !

* My kids use the generic name "goody" to describe Lidl stuff !

Advertisement