Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Tracking whilst outdoors

Options
  • 19-08-2010 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Lads just thought I'd let you know of an "App" I have been using for a while now whilst out shooting hiking or fishing on the boat.
    Its called "Glympse" http://www.glympse.com/get_glympse

Basically it allows you to allow someone else ( A mate or a loved one etc ) to track you for a specific period of time ( Max 4 hours at a time )
    Its free to download and free to use ( if you have a data plan )

Its very easy to use, you need an Iphone or a Smartphone of some sort and then you just send the message once and it track you every few secs and you can be tracked online or via a web enabled phone on Google maps by the reciepient.

Might seem over the top but its an extra safety device we can use especially the likes of some of you guys who go out deer shooting in remote areas.
    It keeps her indoors happy as I had a bad fall whilst out shooting last year (crossing a gate and had to limp home across numerous fields. ) luckily I had the safety on.
    The App can be disabled at any time also.

I found it useful anyway

Enjoy

Mac

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I have a Garmin Etrex, its the bees knees in a white out in the mountains. Or after night falls to take you home

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

I have a Garmin Etrex, its the bees knees in a white out in the mountains. Or after night falls to take you home

Does it allow others to view your where abouts like the app ??

mac80 wrote: »
    Lads just thought I'd let you know of an "App" I have been using for a while now whilst out shooting hiking or fishing on the boat.
    Its called "Glympse" http://www.glympse.com/get_glympse

Basically it allows you to allow someone else ( A mate or a loved one etc ) to track you for a specific period of time ( Max 4 hours at a time )
    Its free to download and free to use ( if you have a data plan )

Its very easy to use, you need an Iphone or a Smartphone of some sort and then you just send the message once and it track you every few secs and you can be tracked online or via a web enabled phone on Google maps by the reciepient.

Might seem over the top but its an extra safety device we can use especially the likes of some of you guys who go out deer shooting in remote areas.
    It keeps her indoors happy as I had a bad fall whilst out shooting last year (crossing a gate and had to limp home across numerous fields. ) luckily I had the safety on.
    The App can be disabled at any time also.

I found it useful anyway

Enjoy

Mac

Cheers for the info... I was actually wondering about something like this the other day because I was thinking about going hill walking. Something like this could mean the differencve between life and death.

Does it allow others to view your where abouts like the app ??

Well technically everything that emits microwaves emits a signature.

Problem with mobile phone apps is battery life.

The Garmin goes for 22 hours.

If anyone ever did rote marching/treking etc
    You should by right supply a route card to local garda station.
    Est dept and arrival time, map co-ordinates etc.

Naismith's rule and all that craic.

I fell into a bog hole once, only I had the presence of mind to use my rifle as a lever to get me out , well I still could be there.

I'd always carry a phone on a hike, and a spare/emergency battery in the lining of the jacket/whistle/emergency blanket, and a Swedish fire steel.

But that is just me :)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=125

There was a reason my mates Christened me tackle berry although some call me Ray Mears too lol

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Most mobile phones go for just as long, and Google Latitude is free to install on them and works with or without GPS on the phone.
    If you need this sort of thing, Latitude's worth a peek.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

I use latitude myself but if up on a hilltop it can get very confused if it has no GPS signal, as it then try to triangulate you using cell towers. It also only updates your position every 30 mins or so depending on how fast your moving.

Great app all the same though.

Battery life is an issue, I also have a Garmin Etrex myself for hiking :D and if on a mountain, will carry a PMR 446 2 way radio in the bag in case of no reception ( fairly common on border hills )
    In fact a number of Mountain Rescue teams are advising people people to carry a PMR radio with them if out hiking, ASAIK a press release will be released over the next while advising this plus what channel to have it on in case of emergency ;)

At the end of the day common sense is needed but if technology can help us why not use it.

Mac

Well technically everything that emits microwaves emits a signature.

Technically... if my aunt had balls shes be my uncle :P:P :P

I wouldnt go out without a fully charged phone.

If anyone ever did rote marching/treking etc
    You should by right supply a route card to local garda station.
    Est dept and arrival time, map co-ordinates etc.

This is true but its nice for your partner to be able to track you too (just dont go off the the pub... or worse a love affair with a gunshop :P:P:P ).. and id prefer a family member than the garda ... they have other more important things to do.

:P:P

:P:P

Well I'm just telling you what i was thought about going on route marches

In fact the route card and grid references are easy to do, so if something goes wrong Air/Sea/Mountain rescue knows the path you are supposed to follow.

Anyone i know who goes hiking alone avails of this facility, leaves in an laminated card to the barrack, and collects it on his way home. Simples.
    he boys in blue only have to do something if he DOES NOT TURN UP to collect it.

Mobile phones are invariably not waterproof so if you fall into a dyke/stream or bog hole end of.

The Garmin are tough and waterproof. I also have a back up GPS on my phone.
    And a compass on my Tissot watch.

So I would never get lost :D

I would not like to be stalked though ;)

I'll just tell the folk here, i'm going over to X location, I'll be back in an hour or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Son has this device. A GPS tracker that will trace your route on Google maps in real time for all to follow. And has the SOS button to send a message via the sat system to inform the search and rescue service or send a message to a number of pre-definded moblie phones. Works over the sat system not the mobile network.

€90 yearly service charge.

Home page of the Spot system
    http://www.findmespot.eu/en/index.php?cid=102

http://www.amazon.com/SPOT-Satellite-GPS-Messenger-unit/dp/B002PHRDQU/ref=pd_sim_sg_5

41w0riJEZ7L._AA300_.jpg

Sparks wrote: »
    Most mobile phones go for just as long, and Google Latitude is free to install on them and works with or without GPS on the phone.
    If you need this sort of thing, Latitude's worth a peek.

I was using that Latitude but it falls over when you loose the mobile signals up in the Kerry mountains.

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    I was using that Latitude but it falls over when you loose the mobile signals up in the Kerry mountains.

Thats the problems with the Mobile phones.
    hence Compass and GPS.

Also the art of pacing so you can estimate how far you have traveled if you want to go very low tech, pacing beads

Thats the problems with the Mobile phones.
    hence Compass and GPS.

Also the art of pacing so you can estimate how far you have traveled if you want to go very low tech, pacing beads

That Spot system works good. My son is into the motor biking and has it on his body all the time. Travels the US and Europe as well as Ireland

I added a couple of vids above.

clivej wrote: »
    That Spot system works good. My son is into the motor biking and has it on his body all the time. Travels the US and Europe as well as Ireland

I added a couple of vids above.

You got me thinking about the motorbike scenario.(I ride a bike reg)

I saw a fella who's bike went through a ditch outside carlow, and the ditch swallowed him like it had never happened.

Only for the fact he had a mobile phone he could have died from shock, as he had a broken leg and a sprained arm

handy yoke they are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

I go hiking a lot, have a good compas and good map with me all the time and know how to use them properly. when ever im headin off on a trek ill plot my route and leave it on the dash of the car along with my ph no, a mates no and ETA. First time i did carrantouhill alone i also knocked into a house near where i parked and left info with them as it was very foggy and raining heavy. i think that app sounds great and if i had an iphone id defo use it but best advice to any1 venturing into the hills is be compatent in your navigating ability using just the map and compass because if something happens thats when technolagy can let you down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

One thing to bear in mind though: If you sign up to Latitude or any of those other location tracking systems, anyone who has your mobile number, and has signed up too, can track your whereabouts AFAIK.:eek:

"Just coz your paranoid, doesn't mean nobody's out to get you!"

Paranoid, moi? Never!:D;)

So, if you ever want to be able to wander hither and tither, to visit that gunshop "on the sly", divert to the range for an sneaky afternoon of shooting, or whatever may float your boat, just be aware that your location can be tracked.

Of course, the Gardai and PTB's have the technology to track you anyway - But do you want your nearest and dearest to know your exact whereabouts at all times?;):D

IMvHO Best thing to do (it avoids an over-reliance on technology and batteries too):

Make sure someone responsible knows the route you plan to take
    Make sure someone responsible knows how long you intend to take and your planned ETA
    Get a good map and learn how to read it
    Get a good compass and learn how to use it
    Know what the weather forecast is and act accordingly
    Plan for the worst weather and bring the proper clothing

To quote from Mountaineering Ireland ([url]www.mountaineering.ie):[/url]
    - Be realistic about what you can manage, bearing in mind your current ability, fitness and experience.
    - Learn to interpret the national and regional weather forecasts for the mountain environment, but always take heed of local conditions.
    - Learn to navigate without dependency on technology, marked trails or other users.
    - Equip yourself realistically for your planned journey, taking into account weather, terrain and duration.
    - Carry emergency back-up equipment for the unexpected, but do not overburden yourself.
    - Acknowledge and consider your actions on other users of the uplands.
    - Never push on regardless: if unsure, be safe and return another day.

These pointers will go a lot further than a reliance on GPS and other technological solutions.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Latitude requires you to grant permission to allow third parties to see your location data.

And, in the immortal words of one boards.ie shooter when asked if Her Indoors knew he was at the range, "I have permission" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i have a garmin 500 for the bike ,a amazing little bit of kit tell you everything .

iv a polar heart rate monitor watch , i will wear it stalking for a week this rut just to see how much hardship i put my bod through .

Since I changed my mobile photo I had lost Google Latitude but I have just downloaded it again and git it all working again.

You can't get it by using the PC, so using your mobile phone browse to

www google.com/latitude

and install the api to your phone. I have a Nokia 5800 and it's working fine.

Advertisement