Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Airport between Athlone and Tullamore... Lets give it a name!

• 19-08-2010 1:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭

To start it off I propose Donna and Joe International Airport!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

is this to coincide with the chinatown thing they were planning?? neither of which will ever happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mary O'Rourke International, to be opened up by Michael O'Leary naturaly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

If Ryanair are flying there, it will be known as Dublin

It depends what side of the border its on. we in westmeath might not get a say. It could be called BIFFO International airport or maybe even BUFFALO(Big Ugly F***ers From Around Laois Offaly) International Airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

Shelbyville International

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

The catalina winemixer international airport.
    If we are naming it after Donna and Joe maybe we should call it dojo airport. We could also double market it to the cobra kai and other such asian dojo's as been built in their honour, so they fly to athlone and spend all their monies in the pubs of athlone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

How about WE DONT NEED AN AIRPORT IN THE MIDLANDS THERE IS ONE AN HOURS DRIVE FROM THERE THAT CAN CATER FOR THE WHOLE COUNTRY very catchy

now corolla we all now an hour is too far to travel to an airport. why drive to dublin now when you can fly!!!!

Its does'nt make for a viable option. There are a number of airports in Ireland that are finding it hard to survive without adding fuel to the fire. The motorway network you can accomodate large volume of cars into and out of dublin airport. The population of the midlands would not be of a high demographic nature. A bus from Athlone will have you there is 1hr 20mins. The midlands of Ireland would have to sustain itself and the border counties in terms of jobs and infrastructure before such a project could be viable. The one thing we need in the midlands is to improve the quality of live in sofar as amenities and try and become tourism drivin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

Ahlone Inhernational Airpore,Sham!

:P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭BrenosBolts91

How about instead of a white elephant of an airport they re-open the Mullingar-Athlone rail-line.Something of practical and reasonable value to the people of the midlands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

it would be handy for michael o leary to get to work ,and then he could sell his taxi plate .

How about instead of a white elephant of an airport they re-open the Mullingar-Athlone rail-line.Something of practical and reasonable value to the people of the midlands.

The demographic of the midlands does not require the opening of this railway.
    The line would need major upgrading to make it useful to intercity standard services. The line would be a more benefical use as a cyclepath to Athlone which would bring in touism revenue.

T Corolla wrote: »
    The demographic of the midlands does not require the opening of this railway.
    The line would need major upgrading to make it useful to intercity standard services. The line would be a more benefical use as a cyclepath to Athlone which would bring in touism revenue.

Wouldn't that line be of more use for Galway - Dublin (city) commuters.

As for a name for the airport portaigh aerfort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

New Airport between Athlone and Tullamore

That is perfect for a name.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    New Airport between Athlone and Tullamore

That is perfect for a name.

NAAT ;)

Wouldn't that line be of more use for Galway - Dublin (city) commuters.

As for a name for the airport portaigh aerfort

There is a line from Dublin to Galway via Portarlington. There is not enough demand to fill two trains from Galway.

There is a line from Dublin to Galway via Portarlington. There is not enough demand to fill two trains from Galway.

The last time I got on a Dublin bound train at Athlone(from Galway), I was sitting on the floor the whole way! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

The last time I got on a Dublin bound train at Athlone(from Galway), I was sitting on the floor the whole way! :(

This would'nt be the case with every service. You were probably on a peak service bound for Dublin. The only way the Mullingar-Athlone line will open is if there is a doubling of the population along the line and all services are filling up beyond capacity. The stations in Clara-Tullamore-Portarlington will have to loose a service in order to open the line and thats not going to happen in the near future. There is a change to the bus services from Dublin to Galway with a direct but from Dublin to Athlone every two hours journey time 1hr 20min

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

Its does'nt make for a viable option. There are a number of airports in Ireland that are finding it hard to survive without adding fuel to the fire. The motorway network you can accomodate large volume of cars into and out of dublin airport. The population of the midlands would not be of a high demographic nature. A bus from Athlone will have you there is 1hr 20mins. The midlands of Ireland would have to sustain itself and the border counties in terms of jobs and infrastructure before such a project could be viable. The one thing we need in the midlands is to improve the quality of live in sofar as amenities and try and become tourism drivin

I set up this thread for a bit of craic and not to start a debate. But there's always one that has to give their opinion!

Well here's mine. True what you're saying. Dublin only down the road (airport is infact down the motorway and 2 left turns!) But the reality is that there is a serious proposition by a consortium to build an airport, and not just an airfield but a big airport. Now Money has been spent on the idea already with architects, consultants and what not which confirms that they mean business and it's not somebody notion. Now, Dublin only down the road, but that's why their building it. as an alternative! They have done the market research and obviously the numbers say that it has to viable, otherwise they wouldn't be progressing with their intentions like they are!

As for the railway line.... waste of money! No need for it! it would be good to give one the benefit of choice of what station in dublin to arrive but that is it. What they should do is connect Athlone to Mullingar with a proper road. That road is a disaster at the mo!

neaideabh wrote: »
    I set up this thread for a bit of craic and not to start a debate. But there's always one that has to give their opinion!

Well here's mine. True what you're saying. Dublin only down the road (airport is infact down the motorway and 2 left turns!) But the reality is that there is a serious proposition by a consortium to build an airport, and not just an airfield but a big airport. Now Money has been spent on the idea already with architects, consultants and what not which confirms that they mean business and it's not somebody notion. Now, Dublin only down the road, but that's why their building it. as an alternative! They have done the market research and obviously the numbers say that it has to viable, otherwise they wouldn't be progressing with their intentions like they are!

As for the railway line.... waste of money! No need for it! it would be good to give one the benefit of choice of what station in dublin to arrive but that is it. What they should do is connect Athlone to Mullingar with a proper road. That road is a disaster at the mo!

This a public forum and is open to debate. I'll take on board the fact that you set it up with a view to obtain humerous replies to the idea of a airport in the midlands but you have to accept that the subject arouses other things in people rather than humour and it can be expressed as such. Enough said on that you made some valid points I've mentioned and you made an even better point about a decent road between the two towns. I regularly travel the road between the Tyrellspass and Mullingar and it is a poor affair. I wo'nt rain on your thread anymore with boring statements

This a public forum and is open to debate. I'll take on board the fact that you set it up with a view to obtain humerous replies to the idea of a airport in the midlands but you have to accept that the subject arouses other things in people rather than humour and it can be expressed as such. Enough said on that you made some valid points I've mentioned and you made an even better point about a decent road between the two towns. I regularly travel the road between the Tyrellspass and Mullingar and it is a poor affair. I wo'nt rain on your thread anymore with boring statements

Just as a matter of interest what is the bus service like between Athlone and Mullingar? Surely there is no need to open up the tracks again. But putting a cycle path on the old tracks would be a crazy idea. How would that generate money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

The bus service between athlone and mullingar is appalling. The number of direct buses is shameful (2 a day I think at unreasonable times) and the majority of folks have to make their way to kinnegad and get a connecting bus from there.

athlonelad wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest what is the bus service like between Athlone and Mullingar? Surely there is no need to open up the tracks again. But putting a cycle path on the old tracks would be a crazy idea. How would that generate money?

The value of having a cyclepath on this railway would bring in money to all local businesses and to the towns as it would allow people in both towns and outsiders the chance to cycle through some rural haunts along the way. The quality of life for the citzen would increase and put a feather in the cap for tourism for the midlands. I have walked the line and it is a beautiful peaceful stroll without interference from motorist.

The bus service between athlone and mullingar is appalling. The number of direct buses is shameful (2 a day I think at unreasonable times) and the majority of folks have to make their way to kinnegad and get a connecting bus from there.

That was one of my points in an earlier thread. A region with a low density population can't expect direct bus service on a high volume basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭EmeraldDragon

The demand is there its just down to Bus Eireann not being willing to spend the money. Its the same reason that many rural toans now have no bus service whatsoever.

As far as the airport goes on the one hand it is a tad ridiculous. Then again if it is built it would attract a lot of companies to the midlands and that would in turn lead to a certain level of growth in the neighbouring towns due to the staffing requirements of those companies. The airport itself may cause the increase in population in the midlands area that would in turn neccessitate an airport in the region.

The demand is there its just down to Bus Eireann not being willing to spend the money. Its the same reason that many rural toans now have no bus service whatsoever.

As far as the airport goes on the one hand it is a tad ridiculous. Then again if it is built it would attract a lot of companies to the midlands and that would in turn lead to a certain level of growth in the neighbouring towns due to the staffing requirements of those companies. The airport itself may cause the increase in population in the midlands area that would in turn neccessitate an airport in the region.

The same service I've used at least ten times and you could carry what on the bus in a town service bus. There were 10 people on the 17:30 service from Athlone to Mullingar the last time the fair was E13:70 more expensive than the train to Longford and a poor bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

perhaps this at 2:47 in the vid for the athlone - mullingar line?

• Advertisement

perhaps this at 2:47 in the vid for the athlone - mullingar line?

Very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 wetminger

Cen Fath Airport?

Dublin West?

Senator Donie Cassidy Airport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

pie in the sky airport

Modhnóir snáithe seo a chur a luí le do thoil Moderator put this thread to bed please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Brian Cowen Memorial..................

Níl sé in a luí fós! ;)

• Advertisement

If the airport and this china town gets built it would be class but me thinks its all pie in the sky. i hope im proved wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Midlands International Airport MIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

anyone hear of a light aircraft making an emergency landing outside Kinnegad this evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 wetminger

What about:

'Sleepy Hollow AX'
    'Simon Casey International Airport'
    'moooo airport'
    'Cabaiste Aer Phort'
    'WOTs (Waste Of Time) The Point Airport'
    'Mindless Midlands International City Express General Regional Airport dot com'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

wetminger wrote: »
    What about:

'Sleepy Hollow AX'
    'Simon Casey International Airport'
    'moooo airport'
    'Cabaiste Aer Phort'
    'WOTs (Waste Of Time) The Point Airport'

You are Simon Casey... Aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

wetminger wrote: »
    What about:......

you are my new deity...i shall pray to thee oh wise one..

more to the point, isn't the fact that they're already spending money on trying to get it going (as in architects etc.) sort of a hint that the chinatown thing might actually happen? i'm a positive thinker and all but really now...would the govenment really spend taxpayer's money on MMICEGRA dot com if it was just going to be a waste of taxpayers money?!?!?

(beware: sarcasm is known to be uneffective to some people.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seeker999

Check in / Departures will be operated by "Martins of the Doon":rolleyes::rolleyes:

My wife was telling me that a friend of hers who said that this airport plan appears to have been resurrected from the dead as there was a meeting in Tober the other night.
    It sounds like developers are trying to buy up land from local farmers to build the runway.
    Has anyone else heard of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Is there actually an airport proposed for the region? (besides the one in Horseleap years ago)?
    They could start with providing an early bus to our existing airport, the current options are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

My wife was telling me that a friend of hers who said that this airport plan appears to have been resurrected from the dead as there was a meeting in Tober the other night.
    It sounds like developers are trying to buy up land from local farmers to build the runway.
    Has anyone else heard of this?

Coincidentally:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0920/817931-cabinet-airport-review/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Plus, with the completion of the M17 M18 motorways, you'll have easy access to three airports.

Mearings wrote: »
    Yes, it makes a lot more sense to upgrade an existing airport near the population centre of Ireland than building one in the middle of nowhere, not too far away from another airport that is already close to the middle of nowhere.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Is there actually an airport proposed for the region? (besides the one in Horseleap years ago)?
    They could start with providing an early bus to our existing airport, the current options are ridiculous.
    I believe that this is a resurrection of that plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

neaideabh wrote: »
    To start it off I propose Donna and Joe International Airport!

Aerfort Eilifint Ban. (AEB)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I was dropping the girlfriend to Shannon last night for a flight to London. The drive from Athlone to Shannon takes longer than her flight to London. We're kind of caught in this area insofar as the 3 obvious options all take roughly the same time to get to (for me anyway, Galway side of Athlone). The problems are that;

Knock - Not the best roads around North Roscommon.
    Shannon - That stupid Gort - Loughrea road (good Motorway options either side of that though).
    Dublin - €10 in tolls for a round trip on top of everything else. Good road though.

I'll be delighted when they build the Boxer Moran Intl Airport.

• Advertisement
Advertisement