Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Airport between Athlone and Tullamore... Lets give it a name!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

Cen Fath Airport?

Dublin West?

Senator Donie Cassidy Airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭kasper

pie in the sky airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭T Corolla

Modhnóir snáithe seo a chur a luí le do thoil Moderator put this thread to bed please

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Brian Cowen Memorial..................

Níl sé in a luí fós! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭athlonelad

If the airport and this china town gets built it would be class but me thinks its all pie in the sky. i hope im proved wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Midlands International Airport MIA

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

anyone hear of a light aircraft making an emergency landing outside Kinnegad this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 wetminger

What about:

'Sleepy Hollow AX'
    'Simon Casey International Airport'
    'moooo airport'
    'Cabaiste Aer Phort'
    'WOTs (Waste Of Time) The Point Airport'
    'Mindless Midlands International City Express General Regional Airport dot com'

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭neaideabh

wetminger wrote: »
    What about:

'Sleepy Hollow AX'
    'Simon Casey International Airport'
    'moooo airport'
    'Cabaiste Aer Phort'
    'WOTs (Waste Of Time) The Point Airport'

You are Simon Casey... Aren't you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭jaded_pause

wetminger wrote: »
    What about:......

you are my new deity...i shall pray to thee oh wise one..

more to the point, isn't the fact that they're already spending money on trying to get it going (as in architects etc.) sort of a hint that the chinatown thing might actually happen? i'm a positive thinker and all but really now...would the govenment really spend taxpayer's money on MMICEGRA dot com if it was just going to be a waste of taxpayers money?!?!?

(beware: sarcasm is known to be uneffective to some people.....)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seeker999

Check in / Departures will be operated by "Martins of the Doon":rolleyes::rolleyes:

My wife was telling me that a friend of hers who said that this airport plan appears to have been resurrected from the dead as there was a meeting in Tober the other night.
    It sounds like developers are trying to buy up land from local farmers to build the runway.
    Has anyone else heard of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Is there actually an airport proposed for the region? (besides the one in Horseleap years ago)?
    They could start with providing an early bus to our existing airport, the current options are ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

My wife was telling me that a friend of hers who said that this airport plan appears to have been resurrected from the dead as there was a meeting in Tober the other night.
    It sounds like developers are trying to buy up land from local farmers to build the runway.
    Has anyone else heard of this?

Coincidentally:
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0920/817931-cabinet-airport-review/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Plus, with the completion of the M17 M18 motorways, you'll have easy access to three airports.

Mearings wrote: »
    Yes, it makes a lot more sense to upgrade an existing airport near the population centre of Ireland than building one in the middle of nowhere, not too far away from another airport that is already close to the middle of nowhere.

Rasmus wrote: »
    Is there actually an airport proposed for the region? (besides the one in Horseleap years ago)?
    They could start with providing an early bus to our existing airport, the current options are ridiculous.
    I believe that this is a resurrection of that plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

neaideabh wrote: »
    To start it off I propose Donna and Joe International Airport!

Aerfort Eilifint Ban. (AEB)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I was dropping the girlfriend to Shannon last night for a flight to London. The drive from Athlone to Shannon takes longer than her flight to London. We're kind of caught in this area insofar as the 3 obvious options all take roughly the same time to get to (for me anyway, Galway side of Athlone). The problems are that;

Knock - Not the best roads around North Roscommon.
    Shannon - That stupid Gort - Loughrea road (good Motorway options either side of that though).
    Dublin - €10 in tolls for a round trip on top of everything else. Good road though.

I'll be delighted when they build the Boxer Moran Intl Airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Mearings

You would be nearer to the Denis Naughten Intl. Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,052 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sitting in the O Rourke Lounge

In response to above. Once the current work on the M17/M18 is complete the Midlands will be spoiled for choice for airport access. M17 will bring you right passed Tuam and after Ballindine every town and village is bypassed all the way to Knock Airport. Going the other direction, you're straight down to Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

flazio wrote: »
    Sitting in the O Rourke Lounge

In response to above. Once the current work on the M17/M18 is complete the Midlands will be spoiled for choice for airport access. M17 will bring you right passed Tuam and after Ballindine every town and village is bypassed all the way to Knock Airport. Going the other direction, you're straight down to Shannon.

Yeah but you're driving almost to Galway city to get onto either road, a lot of extra mileage. Bah humbug.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Will it have a Genoa cafe?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Will it have a Genoa cafe?

Nothing like having a big bag of greasy chips before being locked into a pressurised container for an extended period of time. It might just be me, but the farts that stuff gives me would kill a horse, I'd hate to see what would happen to a number of passengers.

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    Nothing like having a big bag of greasy chips before being locked into a pressurised container for an extended period of time. It might just be me, but the farts that stuff gives me would kill a horse, I'd hate to see what would happen to a number of passengers.
    Rapid depressurisation at 10,000 metres usually sorts out that problem fairly quickly.
    Re-pressurise to change the air and problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Steven81

The key word is "almost"!
    I "almost" won the lotto last week. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Drum roll please....O'Leary International Airport....or maybe not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭medoc

T Corolla wrote: »
    I regularly travel the road between the Tyrellspass and Mullingar and it is a poor affair.

The road (N52) from Tyrellspass to Mullingar is new build the whole way and is of excellent quality. Pity about the lots of poor sections left along the route from Mullingar to Ardee and Birr to Neenagh.

Advertisement