Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JSA Question

• 19-08-2010 1:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭

I am currently on JSA, getting €100 pw.

I have never had a job unfortunately (sent out CV's) but heard nothing. I also have lack of education (although I have applied to go back do my LC, so hopefully I'll get a place on the course). Obviously as I have never worked, I have no work experience and I feel this put employers/companies off as they are looking for people with experience.

So I was thinking, to gain some work experience, if I was to sign-off for one day per week, how much would I be deducted?

I asked in my local SW and the woman didn't know so she went and asked someone else and they didn't know either. Someone also told me, a Sunday would be the best day for me as I don't get paid from the SW for a Sunday as Sunday is counted a non-working day/day of rest, so it's doubtful they'll deduct me anything. I find it hard to believe though that if I worked on a Sunday they wouldn't deduct me anything.

I would be working for free to gain experience, I haven't applied for any work experience yet as I don't want to mess up my JSA claim. The SW woman said if/when I get work, just to get a letter from my employed stating my hours/working day(s), whether or not I am being paid and it will cover me with the SW.

I was thinking of speaking to the owner of a local filling station and hoping maybe he could help.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

PB, I think this is the right way to do it.

1. Calculate your average daily earnings
    To calculate your average daily earnings get your total weekly assessable earnings from employment and divide by the number of days you worked that week.

Total weekly earnings ÷ number of days worked = average daily earnings.

2. Next calculate your daily means from work
    To calculate your daily means from work, you must first disregard any income not taken into account. €20 is not taken into account for days worked. Next get 60% of the balance. This is assessed as your daily means from work.

Average daily earnings - €20 = total x 60% = daily means from work.

3. Finally, find your weekly means from work
    To find your weekly means from work, multiply your daily means by the number of days worked. If you work on Sunday do not count Sunday in the number of days worked - see ‘Sunday work’ below. However, if you get paid for a public holiday and you don't work that day, it will be included in the number of days worked - see 'public holidays' below.

Daily means from work x number of days worked = weekly means from work.

So if you are only working on day say at €50 then what would be deducted would be

€50-€20=€30x 60% = €18.00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Thanks for that Plazaman.

So I would be deducted €18 for one day?

Also, as I said in my OP, I would be working for free.

Advertisement