Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jailbreaking a Sim-Unlocked iPhone 4

• 19-08-2010 1:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know how safe it would be Jailbreaking a sim-unlocked iPhone? I'd like to have the option of jailbreaking it for Free Apps and such.
    But i'd be worried that it would undo the Sim Unlock by Apple.

I'm just curious and i'm not even sure if I will attempt a jailbreak. But it's something that i'd like to know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

its absolutely fine, I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and the jailbreak works a treat. It doesn't interfere with the baseband chip at all, in fact ultrasn0w doesn't actually run on the baseband at all, it get injected every time you start the phone through buffer overflow attacks.

In case you didn't know there are two processors in the iPhone 4, the normal A4 processor and the baseband processor. Each of these have there own memory, the iPhone hard disk is accessed by the A4 processor, and a small bit of ROM is accessed by the base band. Consider if you will this is like 2 computers when you need to make a phone call you input information to the A4 computer and it communicates with the baseband computer. When you install a jailbreak, you are installing into the A4 computer, it has no reason to interact with the baseband one.

So in summary, yes, it is 100% safe to install a jailbreak onto any phone that can handle it. If you are unhappy, you can always restore, this will bring it back to factory settings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

kjl wrote: »
    its absolutely fine, I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4 and the jailbreak works a treat. It doesn't interfere with the baseband chip at all, in fact ultrasn0w doesn't actually run on the baseband at all, it get injected every time you start the phone through buffer overflow attacks.

In case you didn't know there are two processors in the iPhone 4, the normal A4 processor and the baseband processor. Each of these have there own memory, the iPhone hard disk is accessed by the A4 processor, and a small bit of ROM is accessed by the base band. Consider if you will this is like 2 computers when you need to make a phone call you input information to the A4 computer and it communicates with the baseband computer. When you install a jailbreak, you are installing into the A4 computer, it has no reason to interact with the baseband one.

So in summary, yes, it is 100% safe to install a jailbreak onto any phone that can handle it. If you are unhappy, you can always restore, this will bring it back to factory settings.

Thanks for the info kjl. You know what your talking about when it comes to jailbreaks! :D

Advertisement