Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grant for 4th year PhD...or do it part time?

Options
  • 19-08-2010 1:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I am going into my fourth year of a PhD.
    I have received funding so far, which ends this month. I have not received a grant for any year so far.

Am I correct in thinking I am eligible for a grant?
    Am I correct in thinking that the grant will cover the college fees?

I received a letter about fees. They are more expensive after the third year of a PhD it said.
    I am considering transferring to part time, and looking for work/drawing the dole.

I know the consensus on there is that part time research postgrads are eligible for the dole, but has anyone run into any problems with this?
    Roughly how much would the fees be for doing it part-time, does anyone have any idea? (I know this would be specific to my college and dept, but a general idea would be helpful)

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Hey, i'm in exactly the same position and was just in with our grad studies officer. We are eligible for one further years grant, full time. If you transfer to part time now, you must commit to payment of two years fees. Will you finish this year? If not, your fifth year fees are at the extension rate which is much cheaper, so staying full time may be the better option long term?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

apparently they want to charge me continuation fee for this year if i stay full time, which apprently is not coveed by the grant.
    I bet if I go part time they will want to charge me full fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

If you register as being in the write up stage will the fees not be less?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

If you register as being in the write up stage will the fees not be less?

I cant seem to get a straight answer on this, and it seems to differ from college to college. My own counts years 5+ as extension years at a slightly discounted rate. The grants scheme will cover fourth year fees at full rate, so it isn't a problem for us.

OP are you sure about that? I was told directly by our grad studies officer that as a fourth year I was liable for the full rate and this could be covered by the grant if successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

The continuation fee is the reduced rate of fees. But it's increased this year, and it is a lot a typical postgrad student.

I got an email from the fees office indicating that this is what I'm liable for. I got confirmation on it elsewhere. In my college it is after 3 years for existing students and after 4 for new students.

I think I need to go part-time, and get work or claim jobseeker's allowance. I've a nasty feeling they'll look for full fees if I do so, because they will say the time you spend at such is longer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement