Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

high pressure sodium growing lights

Options
  • 19-08-2010 2:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Quick question, I Live in an apartment and i'm considering an indoor garden and would like to know about high pressure sodium lighting. does it cost much to run these (approx 600w??) and do they emit heat or just light??

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

does it cost much to run these (approx 600w??)
    thanks

That's 0.6 of one unit of electricity per hour when on... I'd say about €10 per bill
    and do they emit heat or just light??
    As far as I know they provide some heat but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Depends how long you want to run them for.

Say 8 hours a day...
    8 hrs * 0.6kW = 4.8kWh
    4.8kWh * 60 days in a billing period = 288kWh
    288kWh * €0.15 (roughly) = €43.20 per bill

As for heat, yes it will give off 600 watts of heat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

600 Watts is a huge beast of a thing, for an area about 3m by 3m. You'd probably be grand with a much smaller lamp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Say 8 hours a day...
    8 hrs * 0.6kW = 4.8kWh
    4.8kWh * 60 days in a billing period = 288kWh
    288kWh * €0.15 (roughly) = €43.20 per bill

As for heat, yes it will give off 600 watts of heat.

thanks...
    my basic maths seems to have taen a day off :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

12 hours on, 12 hours off, is my guess...........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

The real problem is that with certain types of greenery, ie herbs and the like that make aromatic oils is that they stink the place out.
    Also, bizarre electricity bills get noticed.

I read this in Harpers magazine :-

http://michaelpollan.com/articles-archive/opium-made-easy/

Its about how you can get into trouble when you're just doing a bit of innocent gardening.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

had a lad come into the job recently looking for a lightsource to aid indoor plants that had no direct sunlight. i gave him some flouresent batten fittings with grolux tubes. narva and sylvania make the tubes and any 36/58 watt fitting will run them.
    if you put a 600 watt sodium light in your apartment you wont ever have to put on your lights again and neither will anyone within 100 yards of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

had a lad come into the job recently looking for a lightsource to aid indoor plants that had no direct sunlight. i gave him some flouresent batten fittings with grolux tubes. narva and sylvania make the tubes and any 36/58 watt fitting will run them.
    if you put a 600 watt sodium light in your apartment you wont ever have to put on your lights again and neither will anyone within 100 yards of you.

Amazing this interest in growing indoor plants with no light source, either alot of dark buildings out there or a sudden surge in growing special medicinal plants in the attic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

i see a lot of that on breakingnews.ie.

Across the UK, the study found the number of commercial cannabis factories found by police totalled 6,886 - more than double the 3,032 discovered two years ago.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-11003444

Its a high risk business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Michael Angelo.

I had tomatoes in mind lads.. thats interesting on the rise in cannabis growing houses being caught in the uk.. How do the police know what your growing??

The electricity bill.
    The suppliers are bound by law to report suspicious activity.
    Same as banks.

There was a bit of a craze for growing it in the wild but they were soon found out by dog walkers and ramblers, so it was either confiscated or stolen.

Next bright idea was to grow it where people dont usually go.
    On motorway verges.
    Ideal you may think. Wrong.
    Maintenance engineers and plod are ever present.

An end was put to that method as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

I had tomatoes in mind lads.. thats interesting on the rise in cannabis growing houses being caught in the uk.. How do the police know what your growing??

Another sign was the roof of the house during the cold spell. The UK police sent a Helicopter with heat sensor flying over estates looking for strange heat signals, The melted snow on the roof was the first sign that someone was heating the attic.

Tomatoes would be a tricky one to grow in an apartment, You might want to look at the short bush varieties. There should be a few articles online about using lights to grow do as I know commercial growers use lights in January when they start to grow them in heated glasshouses.

Advertisement