Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appealing

• 19-08-2010 2:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just wondering before I go decide to get anything appealed... Can they mark you lower if you appeal your test can it only stay the same or higher.. Or am I expecting to find a bunch of Ds if I appeal lol.:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

Your result could be lower, higher or stay the same. I believe that if your result is higher, you will get your money back from appealing.

http://www.independent.ie/education/going-to-college/appealing-your-exam-results-2301544.html
    What are the risks of seeking a recheck?

As students consider seeking a recheck of an exam result, they naturally wonder is there any fear that they will be downgraded rather than upgraded. The statistical probability of being downgraded is very slight, based on the evidence of the past few years.

In 2008, the SEC reported just five downgrades; there were just three in 2007; in 2006 the SEC reported that just one downgrade on appeal, while the previous year (2005), nine results were downgraded.

The SEC says that the expectation is that the number of downgrades will be small because only those who clearly believe that there are reasonable grounds for appeal will seek one. Their advice to prospective applicants is to carefully view all scripts before reaching a decision whether or not to appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Your result could be lower, higher or stay the same. I believe that if your result is higher, you will get your money back from appealing.

http://www.independent.ie/education/going-to-college/appealing-your-exam-results-2301544.html

I don't see why you wouldn't get your money back if it got marked lower :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

nadzcookie wrote: »
    Just wondering before I go decide to get anything appealed... Can they mark you lower if you appeal your test can it only stay the same or higher.. Or am I expecting to find a bunch of Ds if I appeal lol.:confused:
    Yes, they can actually drop (though that's not very common) or stay the same (very common). On average, about 20% of appeals were upgraded last year (with obvious variations among individual subjects).

Some figures for last year.

Best piece of advice: before deciding to appeal, view your papers in the company of a teacher, preferably someone who is an examiner themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭!?!

how do you go about viewing your papers?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

All this is explained in the booklet you should have got with your results.

To view papers, you fill in the form which came with your results to arrange a viewing time and then decide if you wish to appeal a grade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

hi i was just wondering, when you view the scripts will the making scheme be out by then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

before u get them checked, go in to view the scripts,

i went in and say i was (no word of a lie) 1 mark away from a merit in LCVP, and 5 from an B1 in french,
    dont appeal if ur a few marks above a grade, u might go down,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

LovexxLife wrote: »
    hi i was just wondering, when you view the scripts will the making scheme be out by then?
    Yes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

LovexxLife wrote: »

The last few years the marking schemes have been uploaded to www.examinations.ie a few days beforehand. They will also have physical copies of the marking schemes for each subject in school when you are viewing your scripts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mr. Plow

I'm thinking of appealing geog. I got an A2 but I was sure coming out of the exam that I had an A1. I phoned admissions in tcd today and spoke to a guy who, to be honest, didn't seem to care and was pretty dismissive. I applied for law. The min points last year was 520*, which is what i got, so assuming they don't go up (humour me ;)) i'd be in with a shot. If I was brought up to an A1, I'd have 530. The guy basically said,in not so many words, that there's no point appealing as even if i do go up, all the places will probaly be filled by the time my amended results come back anyway :(

Anybody in the know have any advice?

• Advertisement

Mr. Plow wrote: »
    I'm thinking of appealing geog. I got an A2 but I was sure coming out of the exam that I had an A1. I phoned admissions in tcd today and spoke to a guy who, to be honest, didn't seem to care and was pretty dismissive. I applied for law. The min points last year was 520*, which is what i got, so assuming they don't go up (humour me ;)) i'd be in with a shot. If I was brought up to an A1, I'd have 530. The guy basically said,in not so many words, that there's no point appealing as even if i do go up, all the places will probaly be filled by the time my amended results come back anyway :(

Anybody in the know have any advice?

If you're points are raised they'll have to offer you a place in the course starting Sept 2011 if they can't accommodate you this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Mr. Plow

dambarude wrote: »
    If you're points are raised they'll have to offer you a place in the course starting Sept 2011 if they can't accommodate you this year.

Really? That wouldn't be too bad

Mr. Plow wrote: »
    Really? That wouldn't be too bad

Really. If you are upgraded, it wasn't your fault that your paper wasn't corrected correctly the first time, so they can't discriminate against you. While they mightn't have the space to let you start this October, they'll have to offer you a place for next year. Depending on the course it could be quite difficult starting in October anyway, but I know Trinity starts up late so you mightn't have missed much.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

Anyone have an idea about the chances of getting upgraded by more than 1 grade?

I know the chances of getting upgrading at all are slim, but points wise I don't think 5 points will really help me out. Just wondering is all, I fell short of my target by 40 points, but was thinking English may be a chance of getting my points up if it's rechecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

DB10 wrote: »

I know the chances of getting upgrading at all are slim, but points wise I don't think 5 points will really help me out. Just wondering is all, I fell short of my target by 40 points, but was thinking English may be a chance of getting my points up if it's rechecked.
    40 points man?? Veeery unlikely. I'm 15 points off (going by last years points) and I dont think I'll be getting it even though I have no idea how 2 of my subjects were marked as low as they were.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,232 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

DB10 wrote: »

Only if there has been a mistake in the totting up of marks. It's unlikely a corrector using the same marking scheme would be a grade out.
    By grade I'm presuming you mean C1 to B1, not C2 to C1.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭DB10

spurious wrote: »
    Only if there has been a mistake in the totting up of marks. It's unlikely a corrector using the same marking scheme would be a grade out.
    By grade I'm presuming you mean C1 to B1, not C2 to C1.

Oh right sorry I meant something like C2-C1 not the full grade.

So really was just wondering is being upgraded by something like C3 to C1 completely impossible.

It's just because I think it could happen in something like English, if you were lucky and I felt disappointed with my English result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 saska

A friend of mine in the year before me brought her points up from 550 to (not joking) 570 after appealing her HL Irish and HL French. Irish brought her up the most as when she viewed the script her teacher accompanying her felt it was graded very harshly, plus one part of a question seemed to be completely ignored by the examiner. She went up from a C3 to B3 but that's only in very rare circumstances; none of the teachers in my place had heard of it before.

At the end of the day, I'd still recommend viewing your script with your teacher just to make things clear for you and for your teacher to give their opinion on it. Some subjects that can vary in grades are those that come down to matters of opinion like English, languages, classical studies, etc. Several people in my year are appealing them (particularly English, seems it didn't go well for that many) so don't be afraid to. It costs nothing to view so you can make your mind up about appealing once you see it. Just be careful in case your grade is something like 55% as there's always the chance of being graded down, but it's a risk you have to take if you still feel strongly about it.

Advertisement