Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Theft prevention, reflective tape.

• 19-08-2010 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

Just got a my first proper bike, and I'm totally paranoid that it will get nicked in town, so was thinking about wrapping it in reflective tape, this can only improve visibility at night and wouldn't draw much attention during the day. Now its not exactly worth a million quid, but still not too keen on having it robbed on me as i know a brand spanking new bike is nice steal for some.

So i was wondering if anyone knew where I could get some strong adhesive reflective tape. Saw a few examples on the internet of black tape that reflects silver in the light, i think that would look fairly handy on the black paintjob. Preferably somewhere in town as I don't have a credit card to order online. Also if anyone had any idea how much it would cost to to wrap most of the frame.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 606 ✭✭✭baaaa

I can tell you how much it will cost to wrap but you have to tell me your logic first,what will the tape do to prevent theft?blind them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Aluminium tape might work. It's very thin and light so it'll get ripped up in no time and look really crappy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Why don't you just buy a really good lock rather than ruining the look of a brand new bike? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Torque

Well leaving it around town, with its sparkly new paint job would probably just attract unwanted attention, so I was thinking just covering it in that black stuff it'll look more plain (thus reducing risk of theft) , I also have a fairly strong kryptonite lock, and am going to invest in a decent chain lock. Also if this tape's reflective, Ill be more visible to motorists at night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

After my bike was nicked years ago, went hunting for a decent Lock ... but was told that if the F@%&*rs can't take the bike they will trash it!!

I learnt!!!

Don't Buy an expensive bike.

When in City lock it in a well lit site.
    (Reminds me of a Story a locksmith told me ... he walked down Graftin St dragging a locked motor Scooter thru the street on a Saturday Morning peek shopping hours NO one Stopped him (he wasn't wearing Uniform) including several COPS!!

Hire a Sniper to keep an eye on it for you!!

Don't fall in love with your Bike;)!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

baaaa wrote: »
    I can tell you how much it will cost to wrap but you have to tell me your logic first,what will the tape do to prevent theft?blind them?

Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Torque wrote: »
    Well leaving it around town, with its sparkly new paint job would probably just attract unwanted attention, so I was thinking just covering it in that black stuff it'll look more plain (thus reducing risk of theft) , I also have a fairly strong kryptonite lock, and am going to invest in a decent chain lock. Also if this tape's reflective, Ill be more visible to motorists at night.

Lol, thats Mad Ted!

Why not just lock it in the secure bike parking facility in Drury Street which Dublin City Council organised (assuming that's the town you're referring to)? It's madly underused for what it is.

I'm sure things could still get knicked there, but I'd feel much safer putting it there than anywhere else in the open.

Oh will you look at that, 12,000 posts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Paint it bright pink?
    Nobody will want to be seen cycling it and it'll stand out like crazy :)

Bright pink could work haha, but yeah it was just a general idea and thought it would be fairly handy to do, plus ive seen some "uglification" jobs around the forums couldnt bring myself to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

jezko wrote: »
    After my bike was nicked years ago, went hunting for a decent Lock ... but was told that if the F@%&*rs can't take the bike they will trash it!!

That is quite likely to happen if you lock it somewhere late at night or over night. I think you would be okay during the day if you left it somewhere where there were people passing by.

So don't bother with this stuff then? just get hefty locks?
    also I have to go back to the shop and get my saddlebag, and was curious as to whether these can be removed for security?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Do whatever gives you piece of mind. Two locks,One hefty lock,e.g a yellow kryptonite lock, and one of those flexi cable lockshttp://http://www.amazon.com/Kryptonite-Kryptoflex-Looped-Bicycle-Security/dp/B000NORUJW to lock other wheel ,saddle etc would be a good idea . That place in drury street as mentioned would be a great place to park it too if that is convenient.

Advertisement